Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Who needs two parents ?

Who needs two parents ?

Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:44 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who needs two parents ?

As a divorced Father of two children, I found this article very interesting....

Is it imperative these days to bring children up in a traditional family environment, or are kids less effected than we think when they are brought up in a single parent household ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...family-divorce
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who needs two parents ?

Originally Posted by BangleMan
As a divorced Father of two children, I found this article very interesting....

Is it imperative these days to bring children up in a traditional family environment, or are kids less effected than we think when they are brought up in a single parent household ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...family-divorce

I dont think its imperative to have a mum and a dad or two dads/mums or just a mum or just a dad. As long as the kid/s is/are loved cared etc.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's not a black and white thing...there are good single parents and there are lousy parents that do it together...
Staying together doesn't look like a good thing when there is constant tension in the house, as I believe kids, even very young ones, will pick up on it even when the parents think they are hiding it.
I do think that in a lot of cases the divorce itself and the period afterwards can be stressful for kids cause a lot of parents can't really handle the whole thing very well themselves, the whole amicable divorce seems to be an exception rather than the rule, but I have no idea how it affects them in the long run, if it makes it harder for them when they get relationships themselves. Apparently young kids often think it's somehow their fault that their parents split up, which is a sad thing to be experiencing.
Some people who's parents have divorced say they will never do the same to their kids, others will say that their parents divorce has showed them that when the love is gone, there is no point in hanging in there and it's the best thing to end the marriage and maybe even find another partner who is better suited.
I can also imagine that when you find out at a later age that your parents only stayed together because of you (the child) that you won't be too pleased to hear that.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:22 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I think it's not a black and white thing...there are good single parents and there are lousy parents that do it together...
Staying together doesn't look like a good thing when there is constant tension in the house, as I believe kids, even very young ones, will pick up on it even when the parents think they are hiding it.
I do think that in a lot of cases the divorce itself and the period afterwards can be stressful for kids cause a lot of parents can't really handle the whole thing very well themselves, the whole amicable divorce seems to be an exception rather than the rule, but I have no idea how it affects them in the long run, if it makes it harder for them when they get relationships themselves. Apparently young kids often think it's somehow their fault that their parents split up, which is a sad thing to be experiencing.
Some people who's parents have divorced say they will never do the same to their kids, others will say that their parents divorce has showed them that when the love is gone, there is no point in hanging in there and it's the best thing to end the marriage and maybe even find another partner who is better suited.
I can also imagine that when you find out at a later age that your parents only stayed together because of you (the child) that you won't be too pleased to hear that.
i agree with every comment there...as a father of an estranged child..
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I was raised in an orphanage and look how I turned out...whoops!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:45 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
split personality you mean...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:03 pm
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MataHari
split personality you mean...
So what to do? Divorce or not?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

a citeh supporter!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seraphnina
I dont think its imperative to have a mum and a dad or two dads/mums or just a mum or just a dad. As long as the kid/s is/are loved cared etc.
What are everyone's views on kids being brought up by two mums or dads in a same-sex relationship, as opposed to your standard ma and pa, different sex?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:11 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
What are everyone's views on kids being brought up by two mums or dads in a same-sex relationship, as opposed to your standard ma and pa, different sex?
same as in any other situation...if they are good parents it doesn't matter...
as far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with the sex of the parents...standard doesn't equal better...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:36 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Not that simple is it? Better one or two loving parents of whatever gender/sexuality/etc than 'traditional' parents who couldn't give a shit about their children.

-
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:59 pm
Banned

BethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud of

Daughters benefit from having fathers show genuine admiration and respect for their mothers..Thats as old as dirt
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack
Daughters benefit from having fathers show genuine admiration and respect for their mothers..Thats as old as dirt
Presumably that's a two-way street.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:33 pm
Banned

BethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud of

Finding a woman you can genuinely admire and respect in the long run is the problem, but when you do find her, you know it. You just know it
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:42 pm
Banned

Presumably that's a two-way street.
No, not really. I need nothing from my wife- and I think she respects that. I baby her, I don't want to be babied by her, but then I might be one of the last living links to the natural world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.