British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Who has been here all summer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/who-has-been-here-all-summer-807011/)

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 6:52 am

Who has been here all summer?

Who has been here all summer? which men have been here on their own whilst the wives and kids have gone home? thank you :)

Kix Aug 24th 2013 7:01 am

Re: Who has been here all summer?

Me, except family have been here too. Apart from not being able to have a late afternoon beer and the roads being quiet it's no different.

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10866739)
Me, except family have been here too. Apart from not being able to have a late afternoon beer and the roads being quiet it's no different.

I agree and the temperatures this year have been fine, I don't get why some families jump on a plane the day schools ends, leaving the Father's here. Just not my thing.

Kix Aug 24th 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10866745)
I agree and the temperatures this year have been fine, I don't get why some families jump on a plane the day schools ends, leaving the Father's here. Just not my thing.

Maybe the father's insist - so they can "relax" too? :sneaky:

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10866758)
Maybe the father's insist - so they can "relax" too? :sneaky:

there is no need though, plenty of stuff to do here these days it's not like it was in the 80's :)

mentalist Aug 24th 2013 7:59 am

My family left me alone for four weeks, perfectly bearable.

kittycat1 Aug 24th 2013 8:02 am

I've been here all summer - longest I've been in Dubai without travelling at the moment- last time I travelled was May- starting to get stir crazy. Only a couple of weeks then i have a business trip though so I can experience normal again.

LaLaLayla Aug 24th 2013 8:10 am

We have been here all summer. I wouldn't dare leave my husband here, he'd live on beer and takeaways all summer and I'd come back to Homer Simpson. I don't worry about him sleeping around, though - he's far too tight to pay for it. That is something I do not have to worry about.

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10866785)
We have been here all summer. I wouldn't dare leave my husband here, he'd live on beer and takeaways all summer and I'd come back to Homer Simpson. I don't worry about him sleeping around, though - he's far too tight to pay for it. That is something I do not have to worry about.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chris_m Aug 24th 2013 8:44 am

I've been here all Summer. With my Fiancee, Temps haven't been bad at all. The only difference i noticed was turning off my Xbox an hour earlier to dash round the floors an do the dishes before the boss got home early :).

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 10866806)
I've been here all Summer. With my Fiancee, Temps haven't been bad at all. The only difference i noticed was turning off my Xbox an hour earlier to dash round the floors an do the dishes before the boss got home early :).

:) the weather I think has been very kind this summer, I had my cousin visit and I was worried she wouldn't cope with the heat but it was fine, never went over the 40 degrees the couple of weeks she was with us :)

commander Aug 24th 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10866745)

Because, being unselfish, it's a small sacrifice for me and my parents and sisters and extended family get to spend a couple of months with their grandchildren. Also my brother in law is in London so my gang head down there for a week also...

Maybe you don't get it because your family are all here? Or you are not really bothered about your kid spending quality time with grandparents (of course if they are still kicking around of course)

We are all different. Personally I wouldn't put a 5 year old through a summer here, it'd bordering on cruelty, unless your life revolves around malls and air conditioned houses.

I happily switch on Skype on an evening and watch my daughter out the back door playing on her bike with her cousins and spending 10hrs a day outside in the fresh air.

My wife has no worries with me when they are away. She knows I just train like a maniac and eat healthily as normal..

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 12:53 pm

Commander each to their own at the end of the day, I prefer to visit the UK in the Winter, pre-Christmas it is more atmospheric etc. I don't have any contact with my parents. I would have liked to take a trip to the UK this Summer but I wouldn't have gone for the entire summer.

commander Aug 24th 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10867025)
Commander each to their own at the end of the day, I prefer to visit the UK in the Winter, pre-Christmas it is more atmospheric etc. I don't have any contact with my parents. I would have liked to take a trip to the UK this Summer but I wouldn't have gone for the entire summer.

Yea, fair enough I have a humongous family and the summer is a part of the year that they look forward to my daughter coming back.

Didn't mean to be an ass with my last post

OriginalSunshine Aug 24th 2013 1:38 pm

We both work, so we did have a couple of short 1 week holidays, but the kids have been stuck here for most of the summer (too young to go to UK on their own yet). It's not been great.

Alexa Aug 24th 2013 2:03 pm

No, went to my adopted home and held my granddaughter for the first time :thumbsup:

Irishbeekeeper Aug 24th 2013 2:16 pm

my parents are here, hers arent
no one left, although to be honest she wanted to
so next year they will go and I would be freeeeeeeee to run around naked in the house, and occasionally outside on the roads as well ;)

Ditzy Aug 24th 2013 2:19 pm

Yep been here as always. The little'un has had a good summer, the only problem being the street has been quite deserted of children! now that everybody is back they are all out on their bikes again. lovely weather, nice quiet times, movies etc.

Give it a couple of weeks and the traffic will be manic at 7am.... :huh:

Patsy Stoned Aug 24th 2013 2:39 pm

I stay every year, I work through the summer..I have only left Dubai 5 times in 10 years :D If I want to see friends, they tend to come over in the cooler months, I have 8 of them arriving next month :-D

Saff_Parker Aug 24th 2013 6:35 pm

I've stayed! And kinda enjoyed the heat.. for every 10 minutes a day I spend in it.

commander Aug 24th 2013 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker (Post 10867372)
I've stayed! And kinda enjoyed the heat.. for every 10 minutes a day I spend in it.

Did the kids enjoy it?

Saff_Parker Aug 24th 2013 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10867429)
Did the kids enjoy it?

I am yet to give birth to any

Johnnyboy11 Aug 25th 2013 1:58 am

Odd summer for my family, lots of time together, owing to the timing of the UK school hols and Ramadan. We managed 1 week in the UK, followed by 2 weeks in Spain, followed by 3 weeks in Doha, followed by two weeks in the UK.

Now I'm back working in Doha on my own, UK flight already booked for the next Eid. 7 weeks and counting down...

Jim Smith Aug 25th 2013 3:21 am

Yes we have been here for the summer too!

Dubaiexile Aug 25th 2013 4:12 am

Been here all summer, my lot tend to come and visit me in the winter months, off to China for a month soon to see the in-laws and to do some serious travelling.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2013 5:11 am

:rofl: The mrs panics about exactly that - I found a donner kebab place downstairs to give me an alternate to Subway, Bobs F&C and Pizzawrap.

Apart from the two week hols, I've been here all summer.

The Mrs went home for 3 weeks and it sucked because I'd rather see her than not but was also great to play more golf, have more boys time and shit with the bathroom door open.

Blue Cat Aug 25th 2013 6:39 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10867064)
Yea, fair enough I have a humongous family and the summer is a part of the year that they look forward to my daughter coming back.

Didn't mean to be an ass with my last post

thanks, I would be a liar if I didn't say I was a little upset at your comments, but then I always say in mind, it's just Commander ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2013 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10867876)
thanks, I would be a liar if I didn't say I was a little upset at your comments, but then I always say in mind, it's just Commander ;)

I sometimes read Commander's posts and wonder if it is the chap I met that night in The Stables....he was tall and ginger so there is every chance but he was a completely likeable softie.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

commander Aug 25th 2013 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10867932)
I sometimes read Commander's posts and wonder if it is the chap I met that night in The Stables....he was tall and ginger so there is every chance but he was a completely likeable softie.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's me. I'm misunderstood

Millhouse Aug 25th 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10867144)
I have only left Dubai 5 times in 10 years

How depressing. :(

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 25th 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10868202)
That's me. I'm misunderstood

Sorry to shatter the image pal.

Patsy Stoned Aug 25th 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10868214)
How depressing. :(

Why is it depressing darling?
I enjoy being here..if I went on holiday I would want to stay in a 5star hotel with lovely restaurants and great poolside service... why travel when it is on my doorstep :-D
My friends come here to see me.

commander Aug 25th 2013 10:28 am

Was sat in my favourite bar in Glasgow's Southside last night and really pondered coming back to the pit. Then I remembered, no junkies, endless sporting opportunities for everyone, and cheap fuel.

Time to get back.

Randy Bender Aug 25th 2013 11:36 am

I have to get out every summer and accumulated 7 weeks this year (incorporating the 2 weeks at the end of Ramadan that Muslims need to recover from a month's binge eating). As July approaches and the temperature goes up and up I cannot wait to leave (Saudi) and pray for rain wherever I go. Thankfully the Netherlands supplied said rain and then I stepped into a UK heatwave followed by balmy days in Portugal fanned by an Atlantic breeze. Now I'm back in the sandpit and it's steaming. Am now busy finding flights for the October Eid break. Anywhere but here.

Norm_uk Aug 27th 2013 10:55 am

It's the reverse for my missus...she can leave me any time safe in the knowledge I'm on the booze 24/7 and too drunk to do anything except post belligerent comments on Britishexpats.

N.

Blazeaway Aug 27th 2013 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10866731)
Who has been here all summer? which men have been here on their own whilst the wives and kids have gone home? thank you :)

Me, my wife went home in June as I am working in Riyadh for most of week and now can't come back due to health issues!

Bachelor life ok but boring!

Blazeaway Aug 27th 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10871779)
It's the reverse for my missus...she can leave me any time safe in the knowledge I'm on the booze 24/7 and too drunk to do anything except post belligerent comments on Britishexpats.

N.

Like it

redShark Aug 28th 2013 2:28 pm

I'd never advice a wife to leave her husband in Dubai alone, no matter how cute and loyal he is!!
In KSA it is an entirly different story, you can leave your husband there alone for months with no worries as you can be sure that he will be starved for sex, unless, off course, he is a real sex scavenger

Kix Aug 28th 2013 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10874250)
I'd never advice a wife to leave her husband in Dubai alone, no matter how cute and loyal he is!!
In KSA it is an entirly different story, you can leave your husband there alone for months with no worries as you can be sure that he will be starved for sex, unless, off course, he is a real sex scavenger

You must be very naive, from what I understand there are loads of "available ladies" in KSA, you just need to know where to look.

commander Aug 29th 2013 2:56 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10874250)
I'd never advice a wife to leave her husband in Dubai alone, no matter how cute and loyal he isr

Why?