British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Who has been here all summer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/who-has-been-here-all-summer-807011/)

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 6:52 am

Who has been here all summer?

Who has been here all summer? which men have been here on their own whilst the wives and kids have gone home? thank you :)

Kix Aug 24th 2013 7:01 am

Re: Who has been here all summer?

Me, except family have been here too. Apart from not being able to have a late afternoon beer and the roads being quiet it's no different.

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10866739)
Me, except family have been here too. Apart from not being able to have a late afternoon beer and the roads being quiet it's no different.

I agree and the temperatures this year have been fine, I don't get why some families jump on a plane the day schools ends, leaving the Father's here. Just not my thing.

Kix Aug 24th 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10866745)
I agree and the temperatures this year have been fine, I don't get why some families jump on a plane the day schools ends, leaving the Father's here. Just not my thing.

Maybe the father's insist - so they can "relax" too? :sneaky:

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10866758)
Maybe the father's insist - so they can "relax" too? :sneaky:

there is no need though, plenty of stuff to do here these days it's not like it was in the 80's :)

mentalist Aug 24th 2013 7:59 am

My family left me alone for four weeks, perfectly bearable.

kittycat1 Aug 24th 2013 8:02 am

I've been here all summer - longest I've been in Dubai without travelling at the moment- last time I travelled was May- starting to get stir crazy. Only a couple of weeks then i have a business trip though so I can experience normal again.

LaLaLayla Aug 24th 2013 8:10 am

We have been here all summer. I wouldn't dare leave my husband here, he'd live on beer and takeaways all summer and I'd come back to Homer Simpson. I don't worry about him sleeping around, though - he's far too tight to pay for it. That is something I do not have to worry about.

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10866785)
We have been here all summer. I wouldn't dare leave my husband here, he'd live on beer and takeaways all summer and I'd come back to Homer Simpson. I don't worry about him sleeping around, though - he's far too tight to pay for it. That is something I do not have to worry about.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chris_m Aug 24th 2013 8:44 am

I've been here all Summer. With my Fiancee, Temps haven't been bad at all. The only difference i noticed was turning off my Xbox an hour earlier to dash round the floors an do the dishes before the boss got home early :).

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 10866806)
I've been here all Summer. With my Fiancee, Temps haven't been bad at all. The only difference i noticed was turning off my Xbox an hour earlier to dash round the floors an do the dishes before the boss got home early :).

:) the weather I think has been very kind this summer, I had my cousin visit and I was worried she wouldn't cope with the heat but it was fine, never went over the 40 degrees the couple of weeks she was with us :)

commander Aug 24th 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10866745)

Because, being unselfish, it's a small sacrifice for me and my parents and sisters and extended family get to spend a couple of months with their grandchildren. Also my brother in law is in London so my gang head down there for a week also...

Maybe you don't get it because your family are all here? Or you are not really bothered about your kid spending quality time with grandparents (of course if they are still kicking around of course)

We are all different. Personally I wouldn't put a 5 year old through a summer here, it'd bordering on cruelty, unless your life revolves around malls and air conditioned houses.

I happily switch on Skype on an evening and watch my daughter out the back door playing on her bike with her cousins and spending 10hrs a day outside in the fresh air.

My wife has no worries with me when they are away. She knows I just train like a maniac and eat healthily as normal..

Blue Cat Aug 24th 2013 12:53 pm

Commander each to their own at the end of the day, I prefer to visit the UK in the Winter, pre-Christmas it is more atmospheric etc. I don't have any contact with my parents. I would have liked to take a trip to the UK this Summer but I wouldn't have gone for the entire summer.

commander Aug 24th 2013 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10867025)
Commander each to their own at the end of the day, I prefer to visit the UK in the Winter, pre-Christmas it is more atmospheric etc. I don't have any contact with my parents. I would have liked to take a trip to the UK this Summer but I wouldn't have gone for the entire summer.

Yea, fair enough I have a humongous family and the summer is a part of the year that they look forward to my daughter coming back.

Didn't mean to be an ass with my last post

OriginalSunshine Aug 24th 2013 1:38 pm

We both work, so we did have a couple of short 1 week holidays, but the kids have been stuck here for most of the summer (too young to go to UK on their own yet). It's not been great.