British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   That whistleblower Snowdon bloke (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whistleblower-snowdon-bloke-801007/)

Kix Jun 23rd 2013 1:20 pm

That whistleblower Snowdon bloke

I bet the USA are incandescent with rage after he slipped through their net, and the fact he happened to mention to the Chinese/Hong Kong authorities that the CIA also eavesdrop on every single text message sent in China would surely have pissed them off big time - hence giving him a legal route out. To be fair, I'm surprised it took him this long to leave, if it were me I'd have done a vanishing act a week or more back.

So now he's allegedly heading to Moscow, I wonder what little snippets he has for the Russians...

Wonder where he'll end up - a CIA black site maybe - or Iceland?

I did think that this had been mentioned, but, as the search function doesn't work I went back 10 pages, couldn't see anything obvious in tittles so gave up.

NorthernLad Jun 23rd 2013 1:23 pm

Re: That whistleblower Snowdon bloke

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10770583)
I bet the USA are incandescent with rage after he slipped through their net, and the fact he happened to mention to the Chinese/Hong Kong authorities that the CIA also eavesdrop on every single text message sent in China would surely have pissed them off big time - hence giving him a legal route out. To be fair, I'm surprised it took him this long to leave, if it were me I'd have done a vanishing act a week or more back.

So now he's allegedly heading to Moscow, I wonder what little snippets he has for the Russians...

Wonder where he'll end up - a CIA black site maybe - or Iceland?

I did think that this had been mentioned, but, as the search function doesn't work I went back 10 pages, couldn't see anything obvious in tittles so gave up.

BBC said Cuba or Venezuela via Moscow.

Kix Jun 23rd 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10770584)
BBC said Cuba or Venezuela via Moscow.

Or Ecuador if Russia Today is to be believed.

http://rt.com/news/snowden-fly-moscow-aeroflot-125/

Although they do say an Ecuadorian Doctor, as opposed to his final destination as being Ecuador.

Hope he doesn't fly over US airspace!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 23rd 2013 2:21 pm

This is proper stuff eh.

Just imagine the things going on in the background us mere mortals have no idea about.

It's like Bourne meets Bond meets Austin Powers.

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2013 2:24 pm

Quite a ballsy decision for a 30 year old to make. I imagine a 55 year old divorced man whose kids just died in a car crash doing this, but not a young guy. I can't see any upside in this for him. I mean, the value of his information depreciates faster than the virginity of an arab bride.

Boomhauer Jun 23rd 2013 2:28 pm

Snowden shot himself in the foot by mentioning the bit about spying on China.

The other major revelation from Snowden is how GCHQ spying is even more egregious.

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10770655)

The other major revelation from Snowden is how GCHQ spying is even more egregious.

Did you look at the slides he leaked? Some of the ugliest powerpoint slides I've ever seen (which is a very low bar).

Kix Jun 23rd 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10770655)

I don't think he did (China), as if he hadn't have given that info then he'd surely been prevented from leaving, I think it was because of that that the Chinese allowed him to leave, to put two fingers up at the White House - who constantly complain about China snooping.

Why is GCHQ spying outrageous? That's been going on since 2003 that I know of and surely way, way before then too.

Kix Jun 23rd 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10770663)
Did you look at the slides he leaked? Some of the ugliest powerpoint slides I've ever seen (which is a very low bar).

This is the scary one (I think)

http://foreignpolicyblogs.com/wp-con...sm-slide-2.jpg

Shows just how much info goes through the US (in terms of bandwidth and wider is usually cheapest) and they look at everything.

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2013 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10770685)
This is the scary one (I think)

http://foreignpolicyblogs.com/wp-con...sm-slide-2.jpg

Shows just how much info goes through the US (in terms of bandwidth and wider is usually cheapest) and they look at everything.

Look at those colours - I blasted an analyst for producing a slide that look like this not long ago.

But what I do conclude is that the region that provides the best recruiting ground for terrorists also has the lowest bandwidth.

Boomhauer Jun 23rd 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10770663)

If ugly gets the job done no need for makeup or brew:D

Boomhauer Jun 23rd 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10770676)
I don't think he did (China), as if he hadn't have given that info then he'd surely been prevented from leaving, I think it was because of that that the Chinese allowed him to leave, to put two fingers up at the White House - who constantly complain about China snooping.

Why is GCHQ spying outrageous? That's been going on since 2003 that I know of and surely way, way before then too.

While some American politicians & media were critical of his encampment in HK ,they weren't very effective in paining him as a traitor. By revealing the China spying he eroded a lot of the goodwill and undermined his patriot whistleblower image.

Americans are willing to sympathise with the guy as long as the aggrieved party is the American public but when it is a foreign power vs. USA , they will turn against him.

Mr Snowden, who has accused US intelligence agencies of violating privacy, was quoted as saying: “It’s not just a US problem. The UK has a huge dog in this fight. They [GCHQ] are worse than the US.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tleblower.html

shiva Jun 23rd 2013 4:38 pm

About 8 years ago the Internet in my office was particularly crap so I got a bit if tech help from the uk and between us we managed to find the node where stuff went in, hung around for a while and then came out of the UAE to head of to the rest of the world. At the time I knew a bloke in the telecoms authority and gave him a call to see if he could tell me what the delay was all about. He called me back about 5 minutes later and face me a bollocking for looking at it too closely and that in no uncertain terms I was never to do it again.

None of this is a surprise but snowden is a dead man walking poor bastard

Boomhauer Jun 23rd 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10770763)
About 8 years ago the Internet in my office was particularly crap so I got a bit if tech help from the uk and between us we managed to find the node where stuff went in, hung around for a while and then came out of the UAE to head of to the rest of the world. At the time I knew a bloke in the telecoms authority and gave him a call to see if he could tell me what the delay was all about. He called me back about 5 minutes later and face me a bollocking for looking at it too closely and that in no uncertain terms I was never to do it again.

None of this is a surprise but snowden is a dead man walking poor bastard

So will 256K bit encryption thwart the all seeing eye?

shiva Jun 23rd 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10770773)
So will 256K bit encryption thwart the all seeing eye?

Anything can be cracked its all a matter of time and computing power.

They did try make pgp illegal a few years ago which suggests that if nothing else good encryption pisses them off.

It seems at the moment that if they find encrypted data they are deeming that a legal reason to keep it and decrypt it assuming guilt over innocence in a complete reversal to the legal system