Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

while we are looking for common interests and gettimg to kmow eachother...fitness..

while we are looking for common interests and gettimg to kmow eachother...fitness..

Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:42 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: while we are looking for common interests and gettimg to kmow eachother...fitness

Originally Posted by shiva
lost 26kg's in last year or so, few more to go over this winter.
exercise for about 45mins to an hour a week maximum.
maximum intensity, full body functional movements.
http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
http://www.crossfit.com/
http://movnat.com/

work smart not hard
26KG's well done...

That is an awful lot of weight to shift in 1 year though mate.

You obviously do it the correct way (i know by previous posts we have shared on exercise)

agree, train smart!!

Im onto my IM schedule now. It peaks at around 21hours a week. Dont know where ill get the time for that.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: while we are looking for common interests and gettimg to kmow eachother...fitness

nah, its a lot of weight to have to lose in the first place!

tbh, it was a piece of piss to lose. ok the training hurts like **** but only for 15-20 mins at a time, have permanently changed my diet as well so have absolutely no worries about ever gaining it. have been lazy for the last few months and havent trained but havent gained any weight either.

for your mad mental endurance stuff check out http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

single biggest weight buster was the burpee challenge.
decreasing sets of burpees starting at 20, then 19, then 18 etc all the way to 1.
total of 210 consecutive burpees against the clock. got to be tried to be believed, awesome full body workout and a great cardio session all in one mean bastard of a workout though, guaranteed to hurt each and every time no matter how fit you are
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Do it again, the drivers here are no worse than in the UK when it comes to cycling.

I actually find them more accommodating as there is an element of novalty factor.

Get a bike, get to the autodrome for the safe cycling, do that for a while, they also have warm up rides on Fridays in Dubai then get to Wolfi's rides on a Friday for 80K+ group rides.

Warning: its addictive. I have a shitbox of a filthy car, but my bikes are absolutely spotless. They have their own room in the house. Its where most expats locate a maid.:D
snap

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47069672913 here is the link for cycle safe Dübai
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

tbh, it was a piece of piss to lose. ok the training hurts like **** but only for 15-20 mins at a time, have permanently changed my diet as well so have absolutely no worries about ever gaining it. have been lazy for the last few months and havent trained but havent gained any weight either.

decreasing sets of burpees starting at 20, then 19, then 18 etc all the way to 1.
total of 210 consecutive burpees against the clock. got to be tried to be believed, awesome full body workout and a great cardio session all in one mean bastard of a workout though, guaranteed to hurt each and every time no matter how fit you are
well done !!!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:07 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

im hurting thinking of that.

We do interval training in AD every Sunday night. 6:15pm at the Hilton car park. Its brilliant and changes every week. Well worth coming along fellow AD'ers.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:25 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Was reflecting on this - in the UAE (and more so Saudi) it's so hard to make exercise part of your everyday life. In the UK I would regularly run or cycle to/from work, to the shops etc. Never do that in Dubai, and as for Riyadh..

I hate being in the gym - I can only be motivated in there with weights and the cross-trainer. The concept 2 is a necessary evil. But I'd much rather be on the road on a bike or on foot, or on the water in a single.

I put on a lot of weight in Dubai (or to be more precise, fat, the muscle mass I lost meant my weight didn't change that much), especially in the last year and a half. I'm now trying to shift it. I am back up to being able to run half marathons (albeit very slowly), and want to push myself to the 30km+ range by spring.

Tried to cycle to London on Tuesday, but got as far as the M25 after being stuck in a field somewhere, and bailed it. Still a good four and a half hours on the road though.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:32 am
banned

Originally Posted by typical
Was reflecting on this - in the UAE (and more so Saudi) it's so hard to make exercise part of your everyday life. In the UK I would regularly run or cycle to/from work, to the shops etc. Never do that in Dubai, and as for Riyadh..

I hate being in the gym - I can only be motivated in there with weights and the cross-trainer. The concept 2 is a necessary evil. But I'd much rather be on the road on a bike or on foot, or on the water in a single.

I put on a lot of weight in Dubai (or to be more precise, fat, the muscle mass I lost meant my weight didn't change that much), especially in the last year and a half. I'm now trying to shift it. I am back up to being able to run half marathons (albeit very slowly), and want to push myself to the 30km+ range by spring.

Tried to cycle to London on Tuesday, but got as far as the M25 after being stuck in a field somewhere, and bailed it. Still a good four and a half hours on the road though.
bizzarre as i have never trained as much as what i do in the UAE. It is the perfect place to train. I have never ever not been able to train because of the weather. In the summer you go earlier and shorter.

In the UK you can pack up the bike for 3 months a year.

As for swimming, here is magic for open water swimming. Its perfect.

Good news on the running, have you entered any of the half marathons?

You should do RAK in Feb. Great event and one for PB's..Although im a bit slower so far this year.

Ive not run a marathon, my 1st marathon distance will be the run leg of my race in April. I can feel the pain already.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:40 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

bizzarre as i have never trained as much as what i do in the UAE. It is the perfect place to train. I have never ever not been able to train because of the weather. In the summer you go earlier and shorter.
Time, sir, time! I find it much easier to do "necessary" exercise, like getting home from work. By the time I get home from work, I'm usually exhausted (I work long, unregimented hours.)

In the UK you can pack up the bike for 3 months a year.
Sod that, my bike is back for when I return in December Heavy icing is all that keeps me off the roads here.

Good news on the running, have you entered any of the half marathons?

You should do RAK in Feb. Great event and one for PB's..Although im a bit slower so far this year.
Yes, I've done RAK every year since I arrived... getting progressively slower This year I am determined to dip safely back under two hours though, and then we'll go from there. My pb is 1:42 and I'm a loooong way from that.

Ive not run a marathon, my 1st marathon distance will be the run leg of my race in April. I can feel the pain already.
Second leg of an iron man? Ouch. Really. Ouch.

Last marathon I ran, I'd done maybe 4 35k training runs beforehand, but the last 7km still bloody stang.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice marathon story- one of my male friends who has done london marathon numerous times, each year he tries to beat his personal best, so the year in question he was really going for it- we saw him just before the Mall and he was just over 3 hours, doing reallly well. Anyway he got onto teh last stretch and collapsed in the street and started vomiting and had diahorrea ( yes in public) and had to be taken off by St Johns ambulance, lots of salt and fluids later they put him back where they picked him up from and with some help from fellow runners he made it across the line in 3.40. When we saw him obviously we where horrified at the story but also found it somewhat amusing. Sadly the BBC didn't catch it or they certainly didn't show it! But i take my hat off to hima s he did it again the next year and beat his personal best.

I always liked going to watch the marathon, great atmosphere especially on the last leg, the bleeding nipples, the pain on peoples faces- just reminds me why not to put myself through that!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:48 am
banned

Originally Posted by typical
Time, sir, time! I find it much easier to do "necessary" exercise, like getting home from work. By the time I get home from work, I'm usually exhausted (I work long, unregimented hours.)
I do also, i usually train really early in the mornings or during lunch. I am just glad i dont travel with work anymore. That would seriously put a dent in my plans.

Sod that, my bike is back for when I return in December Heavy icing is all that keeps me off the roads here.
Tomorrow for the 1st time, my arm warmers are getting looked out. Even got a base layer on standby. Im definately a fair weather cyclist. Mind you in Aug i was hill climbing (cycling)back home with not a lot of apt gear in the pissing rain.

Yes, I've done RAK every year since I arrived... getting progressively slower This year I am determined to dip safely back under two hours though, and then we'll go from there. My pb is 1:42 and I'm a loooong way from that.
1h42 is great. Well done!! Isnt it a great race. We stay at the Cove, then go for a group sea swim later on in the day. Lovely. I got my PB there 1:30. Id love to go sub 1:30 but i dont think i will this year. Concentrating too much on stamina than speed.

Second leg of an iron man? Ouch. Really. Ouch
3rd leg!! already done a 3.8K swim and the 180K bike. correct OUCH!!

Last marathon I ran, I'd done maybe 4 35k training runs beforehand, but the last 7km still bloody stang.
They do say the race starts at the 30K mark!!

Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:57 am
banned

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Nice marathon story- one of my male friends who has done london marathon numerous times, each year he tries to beat his personal best, so the year in question he was really going for it- we saw him just before the Mall and he was just over 3 hours, doing reallly well. Anyway he got onto teh last stretch and collapsed in the street and started vomiting and had diahorrea ( yes in public) and had to be taken off by St Johns ambulance, lots of salt and fluids later they put him back where they picked him up from and with some help from fellow runners he made it across the line in 3.40. When we saw him obviously we where horrified at the story but also found it somewhat amusing. Sadly the BBC didn't catch it or they certainly didn't show it! But i take my hat off to hima s he did it again the next year and beat his personal best.

I always liked going to watch the marathon, great atmosphere especially on the last leg, the bleeding nipples, the pain on peoples faces- just reminds me why not to put myself through that!
I collapsed the other day after training. It happens through your own fault and not following a nutrition plan. (i didnt shit myself though)

I had a bowl of cereal in the morning(5am) Then at 2pm i swam for 90mins then cycled for 90mins then ran for 30.

All that time i had no food intake and just water. really silly. Opened my front door and went to the kitchen. Next thing im on the floor..luckily right next to the fridge and a cold Full fat can of coke.

Threw down some salted peanuts and was right as rain.

Think i cracked open a beer a few hours later.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Mine is mainly running i've entred Wadi Bih as a solo runner and did the first 31k on Tuesday. The Dubai Marathon is my last long run in prep and then i'll be winding down. Two more trips into the mountains to run the whole course before Feb 11th. I have an IM in my sights and there is a 100 mile race in the Lakes in July which could be a goal in 2012/3.

Running the 10 mile race on Friday and in the hills of Hatta on 26th.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:28 am
banned

Originally Posted by spartans53
Mine is mainly running i've entred Wadi Bih as a solo runner and did the first 31k on Tuesday. The Dubai Marathon is my last long run in prep and then i'll be winding down. Two more trips into the mountains to run the whole course before Feb 11th. I have an IM in my sights and there is a 100 mile race in the Lakes in July which could be a goal in 2012/3.

Running the 10 mile race on Friday and in the hills of Hatta on 26th.
ill be doing Wadi bih in Feb. As a team though. not on my own. Bravo, that a mean feat!

Is it the Mirdif Milers race on Friday?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes Milers race on Friday. Hatta cross country next week and the creek half marathon before Christmas
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:16 pm
banned

Originally Posted by spartans53
Yes Milers race on Friday. Hatta cross country next week and the creek half marathon before Christmas
I didn't enter the dubai creek, got a bike race that day I think.

Never done it, been told its a good one.

Are you a mirdif miler or an ABRAS member?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.