Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where would you rather be at the moment ...

Where would you rather be at the moment ...

Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:28 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where would you rather be at the moment ...

... here (we're in Dubai) or back in the UK (if that's your home country)?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ches-snow.html

For us the answer is definitely here. And our UK friends who'd been visiting for a week and who left last night to return to UK didn't want to go back either. We start to feel that it's a bit chilly when the temp dips to around 24/25c or so. The fluffy slippers and fleece have been in use for about a week already - and that's indoors! May have to hunt out the thermals soon.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:40 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you rather be at the moment ...

Back in my own home in UK, for definite.

Like I wrote on a similar thread:

Near friends and family who know me, and where I feel like I am living in my own country rather than a visitor in someone elses

Mind you after a while I might be trying to get back out I guess
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd

For us the answer is definitely here. And our UK friends who'd been visiting for a week and who left last night to return to UK didn't want to go back either. We start to feel that it's a bit chilly when the temp dips to around 24/25c or so. The fluffy slippers and fleece have been in use for about a week already - and that's indoors! May have to hunt out the thermals soon.
After a weekend camping in the garden with mini, I'd say here.

that said, it did get a bit chilly.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:41 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
After a weekend camping in the garden with mini, I'd say here.

that said, it did get a bit chilly.
I've actually got snow-envy at the moment, so I'd love to be back in the UK, forced to curl up on the sofa with Mr Kitty, a warm blanket, decent telly and a mug of mulled wine.

I'm actually one of these strange people who like the cold...
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

UK for me
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Here - the weather here is lovely at the moment.

Agreed - the snow in the UK looks great, but if you're working there and have to travel in it to work, the novelty soon wears off.

I'll be going back for Christmas/New Year this year and am really looking forward to it, but I'll be glad to get back here, to where I consider to be home (albeit temporarily).
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I've actually got snow-envy at the moment, so I'd love to be back in the UK, forced to curl up on the sofa with Mr Kitty, a warm blanket, decent telly and a mug of mulled wine.

I'm actually one of these strange people who like the cold...

I agree with you about the sofas, hot chocolate and TV, but you can do that here now... it's fleece time for sure...

Snow is only fun for about 30minutes, then you realise you have to dig the car out, walk to the train station, nothing works anymore - then it gets dirty and looks crap.

I phone home to my parents who are struggling to heat their houses - sod that.

I'm not going back this winter... the rest of the gang probably are but I'm staying put. I'm like a gecko - I need the warmth.

Last edited by Millhouse; Nov 28th 2010 at 4:28 am.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Head says here, heart says home.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:35 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I agree with you about the sofas, hot chocolate and TV, but you can do that here now... it's fleece time for sure...

Snow is only fun for about 30minutes, then you realise you have to dig the car out, walk to the train station, nothing works anymore - then it gets dirty and looks crap.

I phone home to my parents who are struggling to heat their houses - sod that.

I'm not going back this winter... the rest of the gang probably are but I'm staying put. I'm like a gecko - I need the warmth.
hehe - you must be warm-blooded! This is still "oo, it's warm out" weather for me!

The trick is a well-stocked pantry and nowhere to go very fast. We also had the added entertainment of the boy-racer opposite creating his very own ice-rink by putting the pedal to the metal trying to get our of his drive.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:16 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd

Brisbane.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:42 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd

Newcastle
Sydney
Maldives
Thailand
Sri Lanka
Melbourne
Goa
etc etc
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather be in the UK right now, well dressed against the cold on my way to the village pub for a few jars of decent ale, warming myself by the fire and tucking into some good food.

N.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Heart: back inSanta Catarina, Brasil or Queensland, Australia

Head: here until we can buy a couple of places in Brasil

Or inside Eva Longorias Pants, but I think the question was more geographically inclined
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:40 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad Marriege
You could ask me that question 353 days of the year and on 333 of them I'd answer: "Nowhere else" because I hardly ever do anything I don't want to do. Wether it's dancing, karaoke, getting pictures taken of myself or even paying my bills, if I don't want to do it I'll usually find a way out of it. I give my wife 30 days a year so she better get at the family funerals, weddings, nephews and nieces birthdays and graduation parties all into those 30 days, or I just wont be there. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but life is too short to be doing what you don't want to be doing all the time. Right?
Why 353 days?
Why 333 days (20 less)
and where do the 30 days come from?

Bearing in mind there are 365 days in the year, I can't make sense of any of your numbers.

I'm sure there is some mathematical/numerical reasoning behind this, but I can't quite work it out.

Also, are you saying you only give 30 days a year to your wife?

I look forward to being enlightened....
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:04 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I'd rather be in the UK right now, well dressed against the cold on my way to the village pub for a few jars of decent ale, warming myself by the fire and tucking into some good food.

N.
Can understand the bit about being on the way to the village pub for an ale and some food ... but our old local (400yrs old) is now a Mediterranean themed (so-called) gastropub. Totally rubbish. Cheese sandwich in 2008 was GBP5 (just 2 pieces of bread and some plastic cheese). No heart, no soul and no regulars. None of our friends even go there any more it's that awful. And it was our local for about 25 years. What a shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.