Where would you go....

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you go....

You could build mass graves in Wuhan. I'm sure they will need some studies on the ground conditions and water ingress.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You could build mass graves in Wuhan. I'm sure they will need some studies on the ground conditions and water ingress.
Well you're cheery today!
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 2:39 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife has concerns about a possible violent death, then Africa probably shouldn't be on your list.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
If your wife has concerns about a possible violent death, then Africa probably shouldn't be on your list.
She's African.... and her bit of Africa is very nice, and very safe. It's not all a mega shithole.

I'm not sure its the violent death exclusively, more the ingrained racism by figures in authority....

She's not exactly backwards in coming forwards so I could see some issues if she were to experience any wrong doing...
Old Feb 4th 2020, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'm still quite interested in Africa or Scandinavia too though.
I don't mean to be critical but you don't appear to be particularly focused on life objectives. I think it is wise to remind you that the work we do and the tax we pay is just a means to an end and not an objective in itself. Might it not be a better idea to take a more scientific approach to choosing a location? I make this suggestion although, it has to be said, I don't adhere to it. I live in the location my wife decides just like everybody else. In my case Surrey, whilst commuting allover the place to finance it. Good Luck with your 'decision' I hope she picks somewhere nice.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:19 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

She's African.... and her bit of Africa is very nice, and very safe. It's not all a mega shithole.

I'm not sure its the violent death exclusively, more the ingrained racism by figures in authority....
You should be aware then that there's plenty of racism in Africa, of all stripes, and it often leads to violence.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HiHo
I don't mean to be critical but you don't appear to be particularly focused on life objectives. I think it is wise to remind you that the work we do and the tax we pay is just a means to an end and not an objective in itself. Might it not be a better idea to take a more scientific approach to choosing a location? I make this suggestion although, it has to be said, I don't adhere to it. I live in the location my wife decides just like everybody else. In my case Surrey, whilst commuting allover the place to finance it. Good Luck with your 'decision' I hope she picks somewhere nice.
Eh....?

The places I have listed area areas where I could do a job..... I.e. areas where tunnels / large civils projects are likely to be built..... areas with mountain ranges / geological hazards / international funding..... its not like I'm suggesting the Artic.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
You should be aware then that there's plenty of racism in Africa, of all stripes, and it often leads to violence.
I know, I've been there....

OK, so you don't like Africa, I get it.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 2:02 pm
On a grand tour

I didn't say I don't like Africa - and I have much experience.
You asked for advice i.t.o. destinations and then added that you were considering Africa. My advice was given in that context.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Msasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to beholdMsasa Roots is a splendid one to behold

Jam25mack - no actual sensible advice here, but just wanted to give a shout out to your wife. I too, am from Africa (Zimbabwe, as you can probably tell from my user name) and I just wanted to wish her (and you) well. Namibia is beautiful
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Msasa Roots
Jam25mack - no actual sensible advice here, but just wanted to give a shout out to your wife. I too, am from Africa (Zimbabwe, as you can probably tell from my user name) and I just wanted to wish her (and you) well. Namibia is beautiful
Thanks Msasa.

Namibia is indeed beautiful. We were there in Dec for 2 weeks for a couple of weddings and doing an offroad safari, it was truly epic!
Old Feb 17th 2020, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Eh....?

The places I have listed area areas where I could do a job..... I.e. areas where tunnels / large civils projects are likely to be built..... areas with mountain ranges / geological hazards / international funding..... its not like I'm suggesting the Artic.
Dear Jam,
The company I work for employs geotechnical engineers. We keep them in nice clean laboratory's and send them data and samples to analyse. Occasionally we drag them away from their nice offices in Houston, Bristol, Singapore or Brisbane to some shit hole in the middle no ware to have a look at something or other but we pack them back to civilization PDQ. Subsea7 keep theirs in London, Paris and Frankfurt. The approach Worley take is to employ riggers and mechanics to bore holes and halfwits like me to make sure that they are in the right place and everything works. My cousin is a geotechnical type and had to do a turn in the DRC fresh out of school but he has a nice office in Bristol now. I agree you don't get the nice office without having worn the tee shirt. Yours is probably a bit worn, chuck it out and get yourself some nice Armani. Good luck finding an employer that looks after you better.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Dear Jam,
The company I work for employs geotechnical engineers. We keep them in nice clean laboratory's and send them data and samples to analyse. Occasionally we drag them away from their nice offices in Houston, Bristol, Singapore or Brisbane to some shit hole in the middle no ware to have a look at something or other but we pack them back to civilization PDQ. Subsea7 keep theirs in London, Paris and Frankfurt. The approach Worley take is to employ riggers and mechanics to bore holes and halfwits like me to make sure that they are in the right place and everything works. My cousin is a geotechnical type and had to do a turn in the DRC fresh out of school but he has a nice office in Bristol now. I agree you don't get the nice office without having worn the tee shirt. Yours is probably a bit worn, chuck it out and get yourself some nice Armani. Good luck finding an employer that looks after you better.
Nah, life in a suit is not for me, well not yet at any rate and long may that continue. I'm a geologist type rather than a geotechnical eng type.... i.e I know what I'm looking at. I'm mostly out and about getting my shoes dirty rather than sat in front of a computer screen modelling something using numbers someone else has given me.

I'll keep looking but there's no rush just yet. As I say, this was just a brain storming sessions for the future. I still have 10+ tunnels to build here in the UAE so that will keep me going for a year or two until I get bored.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

As my grandfather would say "where there's muck there's brass"
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

NZ are screaming out for rail professionals now! for a big metro (tunnels) that might well get you in.
What project is that, CRL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.