Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where would you buy a house/home?

Where would you buy a house/home?

Old Mar 31st 2013, 7:50 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you buy a house/home?

Crickey, went to Greece last year and it was soooo expensive, no wonder they are in trouble!
Old Mar 31st 2013, 7:53 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
According to current law as the Internet tells that can't happen because each owner has to be approved. Knowing SEA though, I agree that the whole scheme could go horribly wrong.

Besides, a condo in Bangkok isn't exactly floating my boat for nice place to live / have as long term holiday home.
doesn't have to be in BKK though . Loads of places down the coast . Pattaya if that's your thing . Or Hua Hin , Pranburi , Prechuap Kiri Khan , Bang Saphan , Rayong ect .

Your choice of words makes me laugh . My house was flooded for 3 months in 2011 in the worse floods for 50 years !! As a city 1 metre above sea level that is sinking 10cm a year you might want a boat that floats to live there in the future.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:33 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
doesn't have to be in BKK though . Loads of places down the coast . Pattaya if that's your thing . Or Hua Hin , Pranburi , Prechuap Kiri Khan , Bang Saphan , Rayong ect .

Your choice of words makes me laugh . My house was flooded for 3 months in 2011 in the worse floods for 50 years !! As a city 1 metre above sea level that is sinking 10cm a year you might want a boat that floats to live there in the future.
It was no joke . Just found these photos of me outside my house with one of my kids in a foam box and then walking to dry land about 1 hour away . Buyer beware !!Where would you buy a house/home?-flood.jpg

Where would you buy a house/home?-flood2.jpg

Where would you buy a house/home?-flood3.jpg
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:45 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Inspired by another thread where someone advised someone else to buy a house elsewhere in the world with their savings of 60k (and here I am assume they meant "and get a mortgage on top")...

Where & what would you buy?

Constraints:
British citizen only - no rights to buy due to marriage to non-Brit spouse;
house price around GBP 300 k (ie the 60k gives you a 20% deposit);
somewhere you could leave empty for large parts of the year whilst you worked elsewhere

The property I would invest in would not be where I want to live or even close really...

To live - The West Country, North East England, Southern Ireland or maybe Scandinavia.
To Invest - flats in commuter hubs in London, New York or Kuala Lumpur. Constant growth even in a crisis plus proper legal framework.
Holiday Home - The Philippines, Oregon, Louisiana and possibly Bavaria.

N.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Crickey, went to Greece last year and it was soooo expensive, no wonder they are in trouble!
You presumably haven't been to Dublin recently. Greece is as cheap as souflaki in comparison.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 11:14 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
The property I would invest in would not be where I want to live or even close really...

To live - The West Country, North East England, Southern Ireland or maybe Scandinavia.
To Invest - flats in commuter hubs in London, New York or Kuala Lumpur. Constant growth even in a crisis plus proper legal framework.

N.
You know, I'm coming to the same conclusion (except possibly London cos I think Labour will win next election and come down hard on foreign investment in London which would suddenly drop all the prices there)
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I'm coming to the same conclusion (except possibly London cos I think Labour will win next election and come down hard on foreign investment in London which would suddenly drop all the prices there)
Sadly I couldn't afford to buy a garden shed in London or New York let alone the house to go with it.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:11 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Sadly I couldn't afford to buy a garden shed in London or New York let alone the house to go with it.
You had 60k+ in your bank. That will be a 20% deposit on a shed.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
Are you looking for a small hand to rest on a big knee in The Captain's Arms?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Hawaii but 300k won't buy you much. There is an area on the big island of Hawaii that is popular with british retirees called Captain Cook.

A couple of years ago I was looking for another home along the coasts of NC & SC. The outer banks were beautiful but like you I was afraid of hurricanes. I searched further inland and ran across some beautiful gated golf course communities not far from the beach, there are many.

Here is an example of what your 300k could buy in an upscale neighborhood 30 minutes from Atlantic Beach, NC.

http://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/i...9/details.html
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:57 pm
womble

DesertOcean - wow oh wow - that place looks amazing! and by a golf course as well!

what;s the downside?!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:12 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

what;s the downside?!
Surrounded by Americans.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 3:53 pm
womble

ah - that'd do it

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

DesertOcean - wow oh wow - that place looks amazing! and by a golf course as well!

what;s the downside?!
Hmm, perhaps not enough indians, paks & arabs to make it feel more like old blighty

Really didn't see any downside other than being really laid-backed, gracious living & southern hospitality at it's best. The outer banks were absolutely stunning, miles & miles of unspoilt white sandy beaches and wild horses! So many small fishing villages worth exploring and the seafood was amazing! The oysters scallops crabs & shrimp were to die for and cheap as chips or free for the taking if you have a boat. The people are the salt of the earth, funny too and are probably as close as you can get to the original english settlers since they were so isolated from the mainland for so long, after all the first english colony was on Roanoke Island, NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csfyrRqc5TU

I'm still looking for a second home there. I hear Fiqure Eight Island is nice and close to Wilmington, the new hollywood.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:46 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lipstick City
LOL @ Orlando

I'd say Aruba, but you'll need a Dutch citizen to complete the deal
You could always marry Mata Hari?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.