Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where were you when....

Where were you when....

Old Nov 24th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default Re: Where were you when....

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Saddam Hussein being found - we were having our end of term dinner (Riyadh again) when the school registrar came in, whispered something into the Principal's ear (ooeerr missis) and he announced that Saddam had been found
Driving into Basra with my security team, message came over the radio "The ace has been caught, expect celebratory gunfire. " They weren't kidding!
Old Nov 24th 2012, 11:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you are really old!

1981 (?) John Lennnon shot - on a coach coming back from a school trip to see Macbeth.

1987 hurricane - Sussex. Lost power in my house for 10 days and a very large tree missed it by inches.

Diana dying - on a yacht in a river mouth on the Isle of Wight, trying to get a shipping forecast. Spent the next week or so being amazed by what I thought were vaguely sensible adults losing it over a woman they had never met.

9/11 In my office in WI. My brother's office as just two blocks away so was very worried for hours until I heard he was okay. Vaguely knew a couple of people at Cantor. Horrible.

7/7 Had taken a day off to go to Hampton Court Flower Show so thnakfully not in London that day. Watched in horror and panicked until I had located friends.

Last edited by Meow; Nov 24th 2012 at 12:21 pm. Reason: woeful typing - again
Old Nov 24th 2012, 12:18 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Diana dying - . Spent the nweek or so being amazed by t what I thought were vaguely sensible adults losing it over a woman they had never met.

you knew Bluecat back then??
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Diana - Was only 9, woke up looking at 'The Weekend' for TV schedule and couldn't understand why the news was on instead of Pink Panther. Was gutted, then woke Mum up.

9/11 - At school. Sailing club got cancelled. Went straight home and watched news all night / trying to ring my Gran who was in Washington.

7/7 - Ringing Mum who was in London working for the day. Panic central, until I got an email from her.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
you knew Bluecat back then??
quick I will give you that
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

When I heard JR had died - DuPont Circle, Washington.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:41 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

9/11: driving up the M6 in the rain.

Diana: In my office in Cairo. Didn't know till I walked in, my Egyptian assistant, Ibrahim, was absolutely bursting with the news. Remember watching the swathes of flowers on the tv in the front room of our villa.

Amy: Piano bar, AD

Senna: Getting the morning papers in Clare. Devastated.

Kobe earthquake: Woke up, put the news on on the tv in our bedroom, saw the elevated highway bent over and thought, "I recognise that--that's just at the bottom of the street we lived in last year". Only the Yakuza kept the city functioning.

Moon landing: Watched it on a black and white tv in my living room.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:14 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Kylie and Jasons wedding - Sat at my Nans after school eating salmon sandwiches......Incidently it was 25 years ago this year - I am getting old.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Diana woke up by wife, was very hungover as i think it was a Sunday morning.

9/11 was watching in Dubai and went off to rugby training not reaslising how serious it was. Got home and holy hell had let loose. We still flew to Doha the Friday after and played rugby.

The London Bombings was interesting. I was on Dubai Eye doing some sports radio and got to go on air and report what was happening. Think i said it would be a bunch of British Pakistanis and it seems i was right.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, and this:

Where were you when....-shuttle.bmp

In a hotel in Alo Star, north Malaysia. Saw it on the front page of the local newspaper at breakfast--had no idea what it was coz the newspaper was in the local language. Only found out later that day.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:35 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

9/11 - Combination of the office and then home packing to go on holiday next day. People seemed shocked we woudl fly the day following 9/11 my reponse was that I could not think of a much safer day to fly.... #crazylevelsofsecurity

Diane death - Lving in Uk, remember waking flat mates up to tell them. All fairly gobsmacked at the time

On a more psotive note:

First Children in Need - Was 9, remember being allowed to stay up to watch it....
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:50 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oh yes, and this:

Attachment 109643

In a hotel in Alo Star, north Malaysia. Saw it on the front page of the local newspaper at breakfast--had no idea what it was coz the newspaper was in the local language. Only found out later that day.
I was at boarding school in North Yorkshire watching teatime TV. John Craven's Newsround came on and they said something about "an explosion aboard the Space Shuttle". When the pictures were shown, it became obvious how serious it was.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

9/11 - just got home from a 2 week trip to Nigeria one hour before it happened.

Lady Diana - last weekend at home with parents before moving into my first flat. Her funeral was the first morning I spent in my new flat.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Hurricane Charlie: Was in a tent in Ambleside in the Lakes. Got woken up by a guy cutting up a massive ~100yr oak old tree with a chainsaw that had collapsed about 30m away. This was the first time my sleeping skills were recognised as being legendary!

Lady Di: Was hammered walking along the strip in Shagaluf when I was ~17

9/11: In Glasgow city centre doing the weekly restock for the night club I used to run.

Tsunami: Hungover with the family in the UK. Saw the early reports and said it would be the biggest natural disaster we would see in our lifetimes. No one believed me.

Japanese Quake: Strangely in work (it was a weekend) trying to work on my Chartership.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Diana, really? ****ing really?
This is not a significant date and when the generations alive when she died also die it will thankfully pass into the mists of history. Mass hysteria by a nation who fed the very thing that killed her. Frankly it still disgusts me.

9/11, at work in the UK, went to the corner shop for a paper and heard a report on the radio, got back to the office and watched it all online. Knew as soon as the second tower was hit that the world would change.

7/7 at work in Dubai, our London office was closed and got a lot of news throughout the day from friends of their near misses. Found out a couple of days later one friend was not so lucky and had been killed. Get chills whenever I think about it or her. RIP Helen

Al Khobar Compound Attack, my brother lived in the compound and was fortunately in the UK on leave when it happened, the stuff that never made it to the media is why i have turned down a lot of job offers in Saudi

Lockerbie bombing, was at a family pre christmas gathering, all the windows and doors rattled when it hit the ground and the fuel ignited causing the massive crater. Half the family are doctors so most were called in to Dumfries Infirmary under the emergency response plan. Think they saw about half a dozen rescuers who had burns or twisted ankles. I know a lot of the guys who went up and recovered bodies most still dont talk about it. Helen who was killed in 7/7 lived in Lockerbie and had debris hit her house that night. Everytime I go home I drive past the memorial.

Apart from 9/11 and 7/7 and Lockerbie i don't really know where i was for a lot of events, not really relevant to how my brain works but i do remember the invasion of the falklands, Mount St Helens, both recent Tsunamis, the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior, Challenger and and most other big events, then again i have always been a news junkie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.