British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Where have all the shit chocolates gone in quality street (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-have-all-shit-chocolates-gone-quality-street-819637/)

Tockalosh Dec 29th 2013 2:30 pm

Where have all the shit chocolates gone in quality street

Now I am old and grumpy at the best of times but Christmas does bring out the best in me usually however quality street has really pissed me off.

When I was young, I remember the fight to get to the newly opened tin of quality street at Xmas when everyone wanted the purple wrapped nut in caramel before moving onto the pralines etc finally ending with a tin of coffee and orange creams that only the old folk would eventually eat.

So this year I decide to relive my memories of Xmas by buying a tin of QS as I now quite fancy coffee creams and can leave the purple choccies for the kids to fight over and enjoy.

So I open the tin and there is ruck of purple choccies and pralines but all the shit ones have been removed just at the point when my teeth and taste would prefer the creams.

What a bummer

Another memory of Xmas lost forever.

busybee2 Dec 29th 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Where have all the shit chocolates gone in quality street

if you are buying here in the uae its not the same stuff in the tin.. plus it costs 10 times the price compared to the uk.... in the past at xmas time all the supermarkets in uk would sell them for a fiver, now they 4 quid... quality street now do cremes on their own and toffees on their own much better.

busybee2 Dec 29th 2013 3:28 pm

i luv the cream ones and dont like the purple ones... u can get the green triangle in a bar too now.

Tockalosh Dec 29th 2013 3:52 pm

Ag that's worth knowing, next Xmas I will import the real deal. Glad to know something's haven't changed back home

kittycat1 Dec 29th 2013 4:56 pm

I believe the cream based ones have Gelatine in them so they import pig free ones.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 30th 2013 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11054550)
Ag that's worth knowing, next Xmas I will import the real deal. Glad to know something's haven't changed back home

We had them in the UK, I'm pretty sure I couldn't find any that I wouldn't eat, or an abundance of the orange ones (I like them).

I reckon your original comments are correct.

Dumbo Dec 30th 2013 4:25 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11054515)
if you are buying here in the uae its not the same stuff in the tin

Not necessarily I found the 'real deal' at Lulus this year, but OP is right I miss coffee creams as well.

busybee2 Dec 30th 2013 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 11055126)
Not necessarily I found the 'real deal' at Lulus this year, but OP is right I miss coffee creams as well.

yes you can get the real deal here as well, in lulu and park and rob but still very expensive compared to the uk pricing etc.

Irishbeekeeper Dec 30th 2013 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11055110)
I'm pretty sure I couldn't find any that I wouldn't eat

right you are mate! ;)

The Dean Dec 30th 2013 7:07 am

Might I suggest........... OUT with the Quality Street, and IN with the Cadbury's Heroes...........

........... Twisted Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Eclairs, Dairy Milks, Twirls, Caramels, Fudges, and (latest addition) Toblerones........ all in mini-versions........ all packaged in a big recycled card jobby, rather than a tin (if that matters).......

:thumbup:

Blue Cat Dec 30th 2013 7:18 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 11055219)
Might I suggest........... OUT with the Quality Street, and IN with the Cadbury's Heroes...........

........... Twisted Cadbury's Creme Eggs, Eclairs, Dairy Milks, Twirls, Caramels, Fudges, and (latest addition) Toblerones........ all in mini-versions........ all packaged in a big recycled card jobby, rather than a tin (if that matters).......

:thumbup:

we stopped by QS a few years ago and changed to the Marks and Spencer version, cheaper and better :)

Tockalosh Dec 31st 2013 12:26 am

Thanks for the heads up on lulu, they will get a visit next year inshallah.

As for changing brands, I just couldn't do it. Some things are synonymous with christmas and childhood memories. We could have whipped into Dubai mall and come out with a nice box of Godiva which is probably my fave brand of choccies but posher isn't always best. The tin is also critical when you are a 4 year old boy as what else do you put your important stuff in and shake it about making that wonderful metal on metal noise as your toy cars rattle off the sides?

Tockalosh Dec 31st 2013 4:34 am

As for changing brands, I just couldn't do it. Some things are synonymous with christmas and childhood memories. We could have whipped into Dubai mall and come out with a nice box of Godiva which is probably my fave brand of choccies but posher isn't always best. The tin is also critical when you are a 4 year old boy as what else do you put your important stuff in and shake it about making that wonderful metal on metal noise as your toy cars rattle off the sides?

Millhouse Jan 5th 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11056386)

Totally agree. I love a metal tin.

My favourite tin of late is the Oreos biscuit tin, that looks just like a ... large oreo. Hate Oreos though, they are bin fodder.

Eeyore Jan 5th 2014 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11056556)
The tin is also critical when you are a 4 year old boy as what else do you put your important stuff in

An old QS tin is essential for keeping your Standard fireworks in on Bonfire Night, too. Well, okay, it could be a Roses tin or even a biscuit one, but it's not the same.