Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where has the pioneer spirit gone?

Where has the pioneer spirit gone?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where has the pioneer spirit gone?

Originally Posted by Scamp
I get the old red mist descent when I'm walking round malls and constantly find myself moving out of other people's paths becuse they either arent looking where they are going or expect you to move for them.

So far the worst are;

White middle aged women
Locals - All ages / male/female
Asian Sub-Continent Kids
I find the Mediterranean Arab women one of the worst for this followed by white women of any age; the chunky ones in sleeveless tops are the worst.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by soukie
I find the Mediterranean Arab women one of the worst for this followed by white women of any age; the chunky ones in sleeveless tops are the worst.
True.

It bugs me because I'm 6'2" and 17stone. I'm not easily missed when I'm waddling round a mall trying to buy shit. (nor do I expect the world to separate before me, but if I'm making some effort to not walk into you, you should be too)
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Spot on - my personal bugbear is women in shaylas (i.e. with no peripheral vision) in the narrow aisles of the supermarket. As I walk fast anyway, I constantly find myself jigging sidewise as they veer into my path. I wish I had the guts to carry on walking without deviation or hesitation.

On a more serious note....they are potentially lethal sitting behind the wheel of some 3 tonne American heavy metal!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
On a more serious note....they are potentially lethal sitting behind the wheel of some 3 tonne American heavy metal!
Terrifying - trust me, I drive a Lancerghini at the moment.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:27 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

no, chicken is a game you play where it's last to move out the way - we used to play it with cars as kids (stakes were a bit higher than the mall).

My game is literally causing physical pain to those who are ignorant in hope that it triggers a cognitive link between being a twat and pain...

Call me Dr Zimbardo.
No, I used to play Shopper Chicken in Oxford Street - I hate shopping and hate people in crowds in equal measure, so imagine the fun walking at London Speed braced for the onslaught with clenched fists... unfortunately one day, I met my match and when she didn't move either, we rammed into each other, exchanging a nod of recognition as we passed.

Here, and since I am now armed with a buggy with a pointy bit at the front and fully loaded, weighs nigh-on 45kg, I bring Buggy Rage to a whole new level. One silly woman decided to cut in front of me as I was halfway up a narrow ramp (quite why she couldn't use the steps...) so she got 45kg of buggy over her toes. Hopefully she'll remember the steps next time.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. Janx suffers from both Trolley Rage and Buggy Rage. It makes me laugh, and then I have to put up with " NOW what a you sniggering about?"

Me? Oh nothing.....
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:36 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a new game in supermarkets / malls.

It's called; "If you're not looking where your going or are expecting me to move completely out your way you're going to fall over"

It's AMAZING.

I get the old red mist descent when I'm walking round malls and constantly find myself moving out of other people's paths becuse they either arent looking where they are going or expect you to move for them.

So far the worst are;

White middle aged women
Locals - All ages / male/female
Asian Sub-Continent Kids

I suggest you all join in. Not a lot more enjoyable than seeing someone approaching, they see where you are, they know they're on their phone, they think they're better than you, they think you'll just move before them...so, just tense your shoulder, drop it slightly and hold your course. Boom.

Continue as planned with massive grin.

Rant over.
yeah I did the old 'excuse me....excuse me....', trolley still in the way as some daft idiots stand looking at potatoes then just shove theirs out of the way with my trolley and smile at them.

I do want to kill them sometimes I have to say.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Spugsy
yeah I did the old 'excuse me....excuse me....', trolley still in the way as some daft idiots stand looking at potatoes then just shove theirs out of the way with my trolley and smile at them.

I do want to kill them sometimes I have to say.
It's mad isn't it. You try being polite and it get's you nowhere AT ALL.

It's like driving over here, you just have to match the lowest common denominator and get on with it.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

It's like driving over here, you just have to match the lowest common denominator and get on with it.
treat your trolley like a white Land-Cruiser with a bullbar. This, I know is childish, but it is a great deal of fun... (ten points for each appalling brat you make squark....)
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OleJanx
treat your trolley like a white Land-Cruiser with a bullbar. This, I know is childish, but it is a great deal of fun... (ten points for each appalling brat you make squark....)
It's fun when you see little kids running towards you and not looking. Standing dead still is the best, let them hit you and fall down. haahahahha
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:59 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

the worst thing is you stop and let people through with their trolleys and not one person has EVER said thank you, no matter where they were from.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:00 pm
why ayeeeee man!

It's fun when you see little kids running towards you and not looking. Standing dead still is the best, let them hit you and fall down. haahahahha
I saw an arab family with their kid in the trolley.

He was about 12, lazy little shit - there was no room for anything in there, I wanted to push the trolley over.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I saw an arab family with their kid in the trolley.

He was about 12, lazy little shit - there was no room for anything in there, I wanted to push the trolley over.
Brilliant, love seeing that. At that age I wanted to push the trolley to practice powersliding round corners. In fact, I still do that now.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:16 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
But man do they look cool in the driving seat of a black Maserati, as one did by the side of me on the AD Corniche last weekend. (Just re-read that: unfortunately "by the side of me" means in the car next to me, not the seat next to me.)
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:20 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Brilliant, love seeing that. At that age I wanted to push the trolley to practice powersliding round corners. In fact, I still do that now.
aye me too, still hammer down the aisle and jump on with feet in the air, the missus looks on mortified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.