British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Where has the pioneer spirit gone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-has-pioneer-spirit-gone-732786/)

OleJanx Sep 18th 2011 12:14 pm

Where has the pioneer spirit gone?

I look on this site, as it seems to be the only site where realists still post.
The early pioneers of the Middle East appear to be dying out, but there still seems to be a nice strain on here of those who are true to the first of us who plodded out to the Middle East with open minds.

Am I the only one who is disillussioned by the fact that a lot of closed minds who think the Mall of The Emirates is just a Bluewater by the sea, and show all the appalling condescension to everyone who, in their closed little worlds, thinks everyone doing a crap job, no matter that it is probably better than what they could get in their own country, but is still a "Lesser person"?

No matter where you come from, you are still someone's child, someone's parent.....

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 18th 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Where has the pioneer spirit gone?

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9628369)
I look on this site, as it seems to be the only site where realists still post.
The early pioneers of the Middle East appear to be dying out, but there still seems to be a nice strain on here of those who are true to the first of us who plodded out to the Middle East with open minds.

Am I the only one who is disillussioned by the fact that a lot of closed minds who think the Mall of The Emirates is just a Bluewater by the sea, and show all the appalling condesention to everyone who, in their closed little worlds, thinks everyone doing a crap job, no matter that it is probably better than what they could get in their own country, but is still a "Lesser person"?

No matter where you come from, you are still someone's child, someone's parent.....

Is it condesention that makes my Ray Bans steam up when I get out the taxi?

OleJanx Sep 18th 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9628385)
Is it condesention that makes my Ray Bans steam up when I get out the taxi?

No, more likely my misplaced irritation and hot air. That and and Pork sausaged sized fingers!:D

Surrey abaht vaht an' all dat....

Hello.Kitty Sep 18th 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9628403)
No, more likely my misplaced irritation and hot air. That and and Pork sausaged sized fingers!:D

Surrey abaht vaht an' all dat....

you know what, a similar thought struck me as I popped into the marina Waitrose on Friday evening - I have never, ever, ever seen such a high concentration of sour-faced Western women in all my life! It was tragic really, so I made a point of going about my business with an amiable smile on my face... not that any of them deigned cast a side glance, let alone make eye contact with another person.

Alexa Sep 18th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9628520)
you know what, a similar thought struck me as I popped into the marina Waitrose on Friday evening - I have never, ever, ever seen such a high concentration of sour-faced Western women in all my life! It was tragic really, so I made a point of going about my business with an amiable smile on my face... not that any of them deigned cast a side glance, let alone make eye contact with another person.

Go to LuLu, if you have it over there. I smile and wiggle and get smiles and wiggles all the way
! Really nice! :)

Hello.Kitty Sep 18th 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9628797)
Go to LuLu, if you have it over there. I smile and wiggle and get smiles and wiggles all the way

Oh, I love lulu - it's the most fabulous supermarket around! I just had to go to Waitrose to get some pork cocktail sausages, but lordy me, they must have done a fine trade in lemons!

OleJanx Sep 18th 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9628856)
Oh, I love lulu - it's the most fabulous supermarket around! I just had to go to Waitrose to get some pork cocktail sausages, but lordy me, they must have done a fine trade in lemons!

That's not very kind! Alexa is exiled in Dohell, and cannot beetle off for pork sausages as easily as you!:D

kittycat1 Sep 19th 2011 3:50 am

I was with friends at the weekend and had a really fab weekend. We were in a hotel pool chilling out and putting the world to rights as you do, and we were discussing how lucky we are to be here. I have never been so well off in my life, doing a job that whilst I work long hours for the volume of work, is essentially pretty easy, I have fantastic friends, I can do some amazing things that I could never afford to do in London, I have a lovely apartment, and I can travel pretty much anywhere from here and its sunny everyday, OK I took a risk coming here but I really am very lucky to be in such a priviledged position. I do kind of have a love hate relationship with it here. I miss being in a busy inspiring city, but I know I am far better off here than I would be in the UK at the moment. So whilst I am here I plan on making the most of it that I possibly can. Life is too short to waste!

HK it may be that the women in the supermarket are suffering from holiday blues, it took me a good couple of weeks to get back into the swing of it after coming back from trips so I imagine if you've had 2 or 3 months at home it must be even harder.

Spugsy Sep 19th 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9629369)
I was with friends at the weekend and had a really fab weekend. We were in a hotel pool chilling out and putting the world to rights as you do, and we were discussing how lucky we are to be here. I have never been so well off in my life, doing a job that whilst I work long hours for the volume of work, is essentially pretty easy, I have fantastic friends, I can do some amazing things that I could never afford to do in London, I have a lovely apartment, and I can travel pretty much anywhere from here and its sunny everyday, OK I took a risk coming here but I really am very lucky to be in such a priviledged position. I do kind of have a love hate relationship with it here. I miss being in a busy inspiring city, but I know I am far better off here than I would be in the UK at the moment. So whilst I am here I plan on making the most of it that I possibly can. Life is too short to waste!

HK it may be that the women in the supermarket are suffering from holiday blues, it took me a good couple of weeks to get back into the swing of it after coming back from trips so I imagine if you've had 2 or 3 months at home it must be even harder.

Oh and thanks for telling me about my shoulders, they are indeed red and sore and if I'd stayed in longer I would have been in trouble!

soukie Sep 19th 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9628856)

:rofl::rofl:Same in Spinney's Abu Dhabi - I would have loved to have seen this species in AD before all the Western brands appeared and we had to go up to Dubai for shopping.....let's hope that ASDA never appears on these shores.

Bahtatboy Sep 19th 2011 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9628797)

Any chance of a GIF? I haven't seen a decent wiggle since, ooooh, this morning:D

That aside, most of us are lucky to be here and shouldn't forget the fact. I can't quite work out how many people in UK are without jobs, but there are 2.5 million "unemployed" and another million (or 1.5, I can't remember) on "jobseeker's allowance": that's a shit-load of people, some of whom surely would be competing with pretty much any of us were we to be back home without a job.

Yeah, this place has its frustrations and problems--but although I love "home" I prefer working here, and the thought of being thrust back into mainstream UK employment scares me stooopid.

What's the best age to be? The age you are right now. Where's the best place to be? Where you are right now. Make the most of it. Ok, plan for the future and have your ducks more-or-less in a row, but do take time to smell the flowers. Truculent, prune-skinned chavs in the supermarket--it's mind over matter...

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Mark Twain

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, the just make the best of everything.
Anon.

Enjoy today:D

kittycat1 Sep 19th 2011 12:06 pm

Spugs, I did tell you at one point you looked a bit red- I have a red nose and cheeks with white google marks if that is any consellation, I must get some small sunglasses rather than Jacky O style ones that leave me with stupid goggle marks...

:rolleyes:

Alexa Sep 19th 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9629881)
Any chance of a GIF? I haven't seen a decent wiggle since, ooooh, this morning:D

That aside, most of us are lucky to be here and shouldn't forget the fact. I can't quite work out how many people in UK are without jobs, but there are 2.5 million "unemployed" and another million (or 1.5, I can't remember) on "jobseeker's allowance": that's a shit-load of people, some of whom surely would be competing with pretty much any of us were we to be back home without a job.

Yeah, this place has its frustrations and problems--but although I love "home" I prefer working here, and the thought of being thrust back into mainstream UK employment scares me stooopid.

What's the best age to be? The age you are right now. Where's the best place to be? Where you are right now. Make the most of it. Ok, plan for the future and have your ducks more-or-less in a row, but do take time to smell the flowers. Truculent, prune-skinned chavs in the supermarket--it's mind over matter...

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

Mark Twain

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, the just make the best of everything.
Anon.

Enjoy today:D

What's a "GIF" ?
And I really like your quotes, so true!

Bahtatboy Sep 19th 2011 12:48 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9629936)
What's a "GIF" ?
And I really like your quotes, so true!

Err...I think I meant an animated GIF. I don't know what it stands for, but its like a very short and slightly jerky movie clip--I just wanted to see your wiggle:D

I don't know if this is going to work:

Attachment 103083

Hello.Kitty Sep 19th 2011 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9629369)
it may be that the women in the supermarket are suffering from holiday blues, it took me a good couple of weeks to get back into the swing of it after coming back from trips so I imagine if you've had 2 or 3 months at home it must be even harder.

nah... these women had that wonderful combination of looking utterly miserable whilst conveying utter disdain for, well, pretty much anything. It must be horrid not to be able to see the joy in small things.

Oh, and another quote I like to remember when I'm in an apathetic mood: "only boring people are bored". Get out there and live it!

Saying that, I really wish I had a bit of time to feel bored this week!