British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Where to go? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-go-661932/)

CeeBee Mar 30th 2010 9:16 pm

Where to go?

I've got the holiday blues and have started thinking about the next one...as its one of the only things I ever look forward to.

Thinking of doing 2 weeks somewhere that doesn't involve the UK for a change. Any ideas? I'm thinking of heading east for a change.

Flight distances and prices aren't too much of an issue. I've not really been anywhere in the east. Somewhere that's good value with plenty to see would be idea. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

The Dean Mar 31st 2010 4:32 am

Re: Where to go?

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 8461052)
I've got the holiday blues and have started thinking about the next one...as its one of the only things I ever look forward to.

Thinking of doing 2 weeks somewhere that doesn't involve the UK for a change. Any ideas? I'm thinking of heading east for a change.

Flight distances and prices aren't too much of an issue. I've not really been anywhere in the east. Somewhere that's good value with plenty to see would be idea. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Haven't been myself but everyone I know who's done Sri Lanka says it's amazing - and stupidly cheap of course.

For something more brash, there's HK or Singapore, but in both cases, make sure you get out and into the rural areas (which in HK's case means China).

Meow Mar 31st 2010 4:42 am

I love Sri Lanka. It's cheap if you stay in basic hotels, but the are some lovely boutique ones too (my preference). Loads to see if you don't mind spending hours travelling from one place to another (roads are slow), food is good and people are lovely.

-

Inselaffen Mar 31st 2010 5:13 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8461805)
Haven't been myself but everyone I know who's done Sri Lanka says it's amazing - and stupidly cheap of course.

For something more brash, there's HK or Singapore, but in both cases, make sure you get out and into the rural areas (which in HK's case means China).

must have missed those

NorthernLad Mar 31st 2010 6:26 am

We were in Galle, Sri Lanka, last year and really nice place. Bit of a hike from airport but they are building a highway to make it easier (not sure if/when it will be open). The Fort hotel was very nice, then local beach bars for nights out.

typical Mar 31st 2010 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8461858)
must have missed those

Lim Chu Kang?

typical Mar 31st 2010 6:49 am

Japan - Tokyo is expensive but I still think it is good value, the rest of the country can be cheaper, and it is a place unlike anywhere else.

Korea - but I would say that :D

Singapore, and then train up through Malaysia to Bangkok... and then on to the beaches...

ctfc Mar 31st 2010 8:18 am

Bali is a fabulous place - really unique. It's starting to become more popular again but still good value. Worth staying a few days inland eg. Ubud and a few on the coast eg. Sanur

Meow Mar 31st 2010 8:40 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 8461969)
We were in Galle, Sri Lanka, last year and really nice place. Bit of a hike from airport but they are building a highway to make it easier (not sure if/when it will be open). The Fort hotel was very nice, then local beach bars for nights out.

We there in February. Some lovely hotels in the Galle Fort area, plus a couple of boutique places in Thalpe (past Unawatuna). Found a little slice of Paradise there. :)

The journey from the airport is horrid. Apparently the new road will be finished by end of this year, but they said that 2 years ago. I'll be back once it's done.

-

Bahtatboy Apr 1st 2010 8:04 am

Japan. Get a 10-day pass on Japan Railways, stay in a mix of minshuku (the equivalent of B&B's -- you're not gay, are you?) and travel hotels, see Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara. 10 years of deflation have left the place relatively inexpensive. Spring is a great time to go.

Puerto Plata Apr 2nd 2010 10:50 pm

Miami

littlejimmy Apr 3rd 2010 6:44 am

I smell a BethPageBlack...

CeeBee Apr 3rd 2010 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Puerto Plata (Post 8468717)
Miami

I'd have to travel east for an awful long time....but thanks for the suggestion. Its not really what i'm looking for though.

hnd Apr 3rd 2010 8:15 pm

Got back last Tuesday from Sri Lanka - had an absolutely fantastic 8 night/5 hotel holiday. Great scenery, great scenery/sights, wonderfully friendly people, some of the worst roads and drivers ever come across (and that includes Dubai) - and curry, oh yes, curry. Yum:thumbsup:

Puerto Plata Apr 5th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 8470156)
I'd have to travel east for an awful long time....but thanks for the suggestion. Its not really what i'm looking for though.

How would you know if you've never been there? My brother lives in Sri Lanka, we went there last summer and we were supposed to stay for about 3 weeks. After about 10 days we had to make up a story about one of our kids being involved in a car accident back home so we could leave.I mean I love cheap lobster, beer and elephants as much as the next guy but how much of it can you take?

Miami