where to? Eyetests

Old Nov 4th 2014, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to? Eyetests

Originally Posted by mikewot
I also need glasses for long distance, driving especially but reading is fine. Guy I spoke with about laser said it would correct for the long distance BUT was most likely affect the reading. As your eyesight deteriorates with age he reckoned I would probably need further corrective laser treatment in future but you can only have it twice.
If I still held my controllers licence I would have lost it as you're not allowed but military pilots have recently had the restriction lifted.

Until quite recently Corneal Refractive Surgery (CRS) was not permitted in either existing aircrew or recruits, however increasing evidence has emerged, much of it from the USA, of the safety of CRS in the military flying environment. There are still hazards and problems associated with CRS which must be considered before embarking on surgery.

CRS may be performed by a number of methods. Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) involves the reshaping of the anterior corneal surface by photoablation using an ultraviolet excimer laser. The corneal epithelium is removed prior to treatment and grows back over the treated zone within 4-6 days. Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis (LASEK) is a modification of PRK where a thin flap of corneal epithelium is created. The underlying corneal stroma is ablated in the same way as PRK but the flap of epithelium is replaced and acts as a bandage lens. The visual outcome is very similar to PRK but pain and haze are reduced. Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) involves the cutting of an actual flap of corneal stromal tissue and ablating the underlying stromal bed, before replacing the flap. Disruption of the epithelial layer is kept to a minimum and this avoids the aggressive healing response that leads to the formation of haze. Pain is also minimised and visual recovery occurs within 1-2 days. For those with low levels of myopia, outcomes in terms of visual performance for all of these techniques are very similar.

It is impossible to guarantee the result of surgery as healing and scar formation vary however the final uncorrected visual acuity after PRK and LASEK is comparable 12 months after treatment; LASEK is associated with less pain and visual recovery is more rapid although LASEK does produce more intra-operative pain. The most common complications following surgery include dry eyes, haze and reduced best corrected visual acuity; more serious complications include infection, inflammation and problems with the corneal flap. Postoperative best uncorrected visual acuity has been reported at 6/12 or better (the minimum standard for pilot selection is 6/12 or better uncorrected in each eye) in 46-100% of eyes depending on the degree of initial short sightedness. It should be noted that postoperative 6/6 vision may be subjectively different from preoperative best corrected 6/6 vision due to a reduction in contrast sensitivity.
Thanks for that - So whats the bottom line ?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 11:44 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Thanks for that - So whats the bottom line ?
There are risks, you need to make an assessment.
Groupon deal at the moment Eye Consultants Dubai Deal of the Day | Groupon Dubai
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Greenways is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this post it reminded me to go for an eye test. I went to vision express in the Dubai marina mall, small changes to prescription only. Cheapest frame (liked them) and new glasses expected tomorrow. I only need for driving, TV, cinema etc as I had Lasix in uk nearly ten years ago which is still effective.

I was -6.5 in both eyes before surgery and now -0.75 and -1.00. Not really sure what the figures mean but I know the surgery worked. I had dry eyes post surgery for a long time (approx a year) and feel the need for glasses more in dim light but overall surgery was successful. Lasix procedure was painless and a bit surreal -lots of flashing colours but lasted less than 10 minutes. I didn't do a huge amount of research before I decided to do it, and was one of first in my group to have it done, however lots of friends and relatives have since had surgery (not surgery which type), including my son, and so far all is good.