where to? Eyetests

Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default where to? Eyetests

Hi all,

So, I think I need to get some new glasses, I rarely wear them here but think it may be time to get my eyes retested- its been about 5 years so a bit overdue. I used to go to Specsavers in the UK and always found them good, but what is the service like here-can anyone recommend somewhere that does the test accurately here and delivers good specs with a decent choice of frames?

Thanks

Speccy 4 eyes
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to? Eyetests

I'd be very wary about relying on an eye test here. I wear glasses all the time and change them every couple of years. A while ago I got them tested here and bought some glasses on their test. When I then had them tested a year or so later in the UK they discovered I'd been massively over-prescribed which had affected my ability to read at close range through the glasses - I simply thought the issue was down to old age (I'm short-sighted)!

So I now always only get my eyes tested and get new glasses on my trips back to the UK - the test there is generally also so much thorough than what I've experienced here.

That's just my experience though, but be warned.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Vision Express next to Debenhams in the MOE is very good.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Vision Express next to Debenhams in the MOE is very good.
I had the test done in the Medical Centre at MotorCity. Seemed OK to me.

In terms of getting them made, you can get them done pretty much anywhere - costs vary massively depending on where you go.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I'd be very wary about relying on an eye test here. I wear glasses all the time and change them every couple of years. A while ago I got them tested here and bought some glasses on their test. When I then had them tested a year or so later in the UK they discovered I'd been massively over-prescribed which had affected my ability to read at close range through the glasses - I simply thought the issue was down to old age (I'm short-sighted)!

So I now always only get my eyes tested and get new glasses on my trips back to the UK - the test there is generally also so much thorough than what I've experienced here.

I had the opposite: got my eyes tested here and they told me that the glasses I'd been prescribed in the UK were unnecessary. I now don't use them and to be honest don't appear to be suffering.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:23 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

So, I think I need to get some new glasses, I rarely wear them here but think it may be time to get my eyes retested- its been about 5 years so a bit overdue. I used to go to Specsavers in the UK and always found them good, but what is the service like here-can anyone recommend somewhere that does the test accurately here and delivers good specs with a decent choice of frames?

Thanks

Speccy 4 eyes
I've had two sets from Magrabi in MoE and no complaints so far. A lot of choice of frames in there.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Downstairs (LG) in Dubai Mall, there are 3 or 4 quite close together. I went to three and got got 3 results all basically the same.

I went back to the one with the frames I liked the most and got them made. I only use them for driving at night, watching TV and golf, but my word they've made a difference.

All started because I refused to accept the mrs could read a road sign and missed the junction. Massive row. Tail between my legs. Eye test. 1500 dizzers on frames.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland

I’ve had a similar experience.

I wear contact lenses, I used to wear weekly disposables and always got them from the UK, used to pop back to Blighty, get tested and get a new batch - 6 months’ worth.

Maybe 2 to 3 years ago now I decided to try here in Dubai - went to one optician, got sold some lenses, was assured that I could sleep in them - I had trouble with them, basically I got Pink Eye.

Went to another optician, got some more lenses, again I was told that I could sleep in them, had problems again.

On both occassions the lenses were the same company/brand as what I've always used - Johnson and Johnson (Acuvue).

So, went back to the UK, my optician had a look at the lenses I'd been using, the first thing he said "these are not meant to remain in/on the eye during sleep".

So, changed to daily disposables and continue to pop back to the UK every 6 months for a new batch and a check-up.

As above, just my experience.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Magrabi in KSA is good. Same firm in UAE ?
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Downstairs (LG) in Dubai Mall, there are 3 or 4 quite close together. I went to three and got got 3 results all basically the same.

I went back to the one with the frames I liked the most and got them made. I only use them for driving at night, watching TV and golf, but my word they've made a difference.

All started because I refused to accept the mrs could read a road sign and missed the junction. Massive row. Tail between my legs. Eye test. 1500 dizzers on frames.
You were robbed. Never buy the frames in a mall.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You were robbed. Never buy the frames in a mall.
But they were called Deringer's. I'm sure that's a type of gun. Therefore, must buy.

Where else can I get them? I need some more, want some prescription sunnies too.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to book a medical appointment with an ophthalmologist (or is it an optometrist? I can never remember which is which) at one of the reputable medical centres, not a commercial optician's shop. In other words, if your eyesight is giving you concern, treat it like you would if it were a chest infection, or whatever.

That is all.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
So, changed to daily disposables and continue to pop back to the UK every 6 months for a new batch and a check-up.
Have you tried the monthly continuous wear lenses? I’ve used them for about 5 years. Stick them in on the 1st of the month and take them out on the last day of the month, in between they stay in night and day. Terrific things, have had zero complaints or problems with them. They cut down on the chance of getting eye infections as you’re not sticking your fingers in your eyes twice a day. You can take them out and keep them like you would normal lenses if you want, and I do occasionally, put more often than not I just leave them in.

Also, wherever you get an eye test, if you’re using lenses, don’t buy them there. Get your prescription and buy the brand of lenses you use online. I pick up a 12 month supply including delivery to the UK for under 80 notes, it would be double that in stores.

I’ve had my eyes tested in a couple of place in Dubai Mall (Vision Express and somewhere else, maybe Magrabi), both where fine and gave me the same result as I had from last test in the UK.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Have had two eye tests and bought two sets of glasses in the 8 years here. Have never paid more than Dhs200 but then I am the Mentalist.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

go to a hospital and get a proper eye test by an ophthalmologist, they do a more thorough test that at any shops. al jaber or vision express (pearle opticians) are good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.