Where is everybody?

Old Sep 10th 2019, 12:15 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is everybody?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Every man and his dog is in there . We're in there and the arses are twitching now on the client side . Royal visits every month and people getting fired left , right and center . It'll be a proper shit show after Xmas.
Do you think they will make the date? If I was on the contractor side and the delay was not mine - I'd be hanging out right now for a big acceleration variation claim.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Do you think they will make the date? If I was on the contractor side and the delay was not mine - I'd be hanging out right now for a big acceleration variation claim.
Main construction work is basically done. LOTS of fit out and individual pavilions stuff to be done still, most of which relies on the participants themselves - well, the responsibility does but the risk is firmly with the event organiser.

Oh, and shit loads of public realm / landscaping / simple infra. SHIT LOADS.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

We have just received a big variation to some infrastructure work which will take us through until February 2020 . We were originally delayed by the client as they changed their mind half way through and then multiple times over ..I know a few guys who have been kicked off because they wont sing the same tune , project director level for big outfits .

We had numerous issues at the beginning as it was just fun & games for the wet behind the ears mob on the client side . A lot of that has come back to haunt them now . We were even stopped because the corridors in our accommodation for the men didn't have AC in them !!!!

Old Sep 10th 2019, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Main construction work is basically done. LOTS of fit out and individual pavilions stuff to be done still, most of which relies on the participants themselves - well, the responsibility does but the risk is firmly with the event organiser.

Oh, and shit loads of public realm / landscaping / simple infra. SHIT LOADS.
I'm tendering work connected to some Pavilions yet to start construction . No one will touch these ones with a shitty stick . Difficult programme and piss poor design which is heavily reliant on delivery of specialized components and bespoke manufacture.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm tendering work connected to some Pavilions yet to start construction . No one will touch these ones with a shitty stick . Difficult programme and piss poor design which is heavily reliant on delivery of specialized components and bespoke manufacture.
They're about 10% on site for the ones you talk about. The stats on concept design completion or even final designs being approved are even funnier.
It's going to be ****ing hilarious.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

A lot of that has come back to haunt them now . We were even stopped because the corridors in our accommodation for the men didn't have AC in them !!!!
Worker Welfare.

That's a serious department on the programme.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Worker Welfare.

As it should be. While no one cares about the workers, the PR for this type of event is critical. You don’t want a Qatar World Cup on your hands.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Worker Welfare.

Not one sub contractor can comply but lets not worry about that we'll just try and shaft the main players . Total lip service bullshit . Every seat in a bus must have a hammer in case of an accident for the person to break out !!!!

Some of them haven't got windows !!
Old Sep 11th 2019, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not one sub contractor can comply but lets not worry about that we'll just try and shaft the main players . Total lip service bullshit . Every seat in a bus must have a hammer in case of an accident for the person to break out !!!!

that made me smile.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse

As it should be. While no one cares about the workers, the PR for this type of event is critical. You don’t want a Qatar World Cup on your hands.
I laughed at this, even though I shouldn't have.

Even lip service is better than nothing. A 1% increase in the treatment of another human is better than doing fudge all.

Do the hammers get through the metal bars?
Old Sep 11th 2019, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I
Do the hammers get through the metal bars?
Given how often fights break out I would have thought the last thing you would want to do it is arming them all.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 5:42 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'd agree if the caring was genuine - but it's not. Mostly PR and optics only, no client is willing to pay for the real cost of this level of safety or worker welfare. So the intention is to arms length themselves from any scandal or inquiry that emerges later.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 5:46 am
Knee deep and rising

Even lip service is better than nothing. A 1% increase in the treatment of another human is better than doing fudge all.
It's lip service and a tremendous amount of H&S form filling (the cover your ass type) that is utterly meaningless to the actual worker. You'd have to get back to the subcontractor's subcontractor's subcontractor to actually make a real difference. (and pay!)
Old Sep 11th 2019, 6:46 am
Account Closed

I'd agree if the caring was genuine - but it's not. Mostly PR and optics only, no client is willing to pay for the real cost of this level of safety or worker welfare. So the intention is to arms length themselves from any scandal or inquiry that emerges later.
It's lip service and a tremendous amount of H&S form filling (the cover your ass type) that is utterly meaningless to the actual worker. You'd have to get back to the subcontractor's subcontractor's subcontractor to actually make a real difference. (and pay!)
Of course most of it is, but that kind of thinking and approach makes 'you' complicit. None of us are perfect but a client who's willing to spend money on worker welfare deserves better than just the usual cynicism I think.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A friend of mine here was the H&S director for one of the big construction companies... very stressful job with his passport being surrendered every time someone died on-site until the issue was resolved/investigated. Some of these guys would purposely jump down lift shafts to end it and it would ruin his holiday plans.

He used to spike their tang with electrolytes so they didn't pass out in the heat. If they ever found out they would stop work, insist on fresh double strength tang and more often than not refuse to drink it anyway. You can't help some of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.