British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   where do you keep valuables (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-do-you-keep-valuables-765819/)

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 5:49 pm

where do you keep valuables

hi all,

Where do you keep your valuables such as premium bonds? and say they are in your house and your house burnt down can you replace them?

Ta

auzdafluff Jul 21st 2012 6:02 pm

Re: where do you keep valuables

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185825)
hi all,

Where do you keep your valuables such as premium bonds? and say they are in your house and your house burnt down can you replace them?

Ta

Ya haha. I'm not falling for that one ;) :p

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 6:13 pm

come on fluffy- seriously I have no idea where to keep them as i've never had anything of value before and Im a bit paranoid about my fridge exploding as its making a funny noise! i mean do peopel use seurity boxes for this type of stuff?

Meow Jul 21st 2012 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185845)
come on fluffy- seriously I have no idea where to keep them as i've never had anything of value before and Im a bit paranoid about my fridge exploding as its making a funny noise! i mean do peopel use seurity boxes for this type of stuff?

Take copies of any valuable items and email them to yourself. That way you'll always have the details.

And Premium Bonds still? That's optimistic.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10185858)
And Premium Bonds still? That's optimistic.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185845)

I would recommend not to keep them in the fridge...:ohmy:

A small safe is the normal household option, or a small/medium cash-type metal strong box if you move around a lot is another option.

Mine are in a shoe box.....somewhere.

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 6:47 pm

sorry meant national bonds!

gooners- ok good idea Ill take them out the fridge!

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185900)
sorry meant national bonds!

gooners- ok good idea Ill take them out the fridge!

Can't work out if you're joking or actually keep them in the fridge?

Are you coming to drinks this week?

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 7:01 pm

scamp- they may or maynot be in the fridge

not sure about drinks, not feeling overly social at the mo- absolutely shattered from work- on the verge of mini breakdown so not sure if hanging out with you lot will push me over the edge! - maybe ill see how i feel and what time I get out of work.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185922)
scamp- they may or maynot be in the fridge

not sure about drinks, not feeling overly social at the mo- absolutely shattered from work- on the verge of mini breakdown so not sure if hanging out with you lot will push me over the edge! - maybe ill see how i feel and what time I get out of work.

Don't be like that.

It's the exact thing you need to do if you're two steps from chaos.

Meow Jul 21st 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10185926)
Don't be like that.

I agree. Do come kittycat x

(And there are three free drinks for ladies at The Stables during Ramadan. Fruit based cocktail?)

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 7:14 pm

hmmm maybe- ill see if I can keep myself together for then

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10185926)
Don't be like that.

Scamp will learn and perform the Wigfield "Saturday Night" dance if you agree to go....

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 7:21 pm

ah but gooners- if you cant dance in rockbottoms Im guessing you cant dance anywhere- it will have to wait til post ramadanadingdong- gives him training time!

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185962)
ah but gooners- if you cant dance in rockbottoms Im guessing you cant dance anywhere- it will have to wait til post ramadanadingdong- gives him training time!

he'll give you a private showing....after a dozen bull-frogs !

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 7:28 pm

err thanks gooners- but no need to pimp out scamp he has a lucky lucky lady already :-)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by goonerseba (Post 10185965)
he'll give you a private showing....after a dozen bull-frogs !

Err....

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10185969)
Err....

ok...stick with the macarena...:p

still can't believe theres a ban on dancing ?? KSA yes - but Dub ??

this region will never cease to amaze me.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by goonerseba (Post 10185974)
ok...stick with the macarena...:p

still can't believe theres a ban on dancing ?? KSA yes - but Dub ??

this region will never cease to amaze me.

I get the ban because of Ramadan and whatnot.

BUT. I was battered and there was music blaring. So it struck me as kind of stupid.

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 7:41 pm

was there music scamp or where you just strutting your stuff/ throwing some shapes?

Bahtatboy Jul 21st 2012 7:44 pm

I have a friend (yep, just one) who scans everything and keeps it (encrypted, I think) on a small memory stick which he keeps with his keys. Seems sensible, so long as its well encrypted and backed up somewhere in cyberspace.

Any suggestions where's secure in cyberspace? Is Hotmail pretty secure?

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10185986)
I have a friend (yep, just one) who scans everything and keeps it (encrypted, I think) on a small memory stick which he keeps with his keys. Seems sensible, so long as its well encrypted and backed up somewhere in cyberspace.

Any suggestions where's secure in cyberspace? Is Hotmail pretty secure?

I've just recently backed up a load of stuff onto SkyDrive (Hotmail) - mostly work related docs and manuals but I would be very wary of putting any personal stuff on something so accessible.

I have various Flash memory sticks with more personal stuff on deposited in secure areas.

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 7:55 pm

all fine as long as your dont loose your memory stick/keys. seeing that id forget my head it it wasn't screwed this is possibly not the best solution for me! so basically no one has a safety deposit box like in films?

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10185983)
was there music scamp or where you just strutting your stuff/ throwing some shapes?

Errr. Yes.

I only dance to no music in the shower. But even then I'll sing.

If you want to see what my moves are like then youtube 'Cat Daddy' by the Rej3ctz. (Also, watch the one that Kate Upton does. It's awesome)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10186000)
all fine as long as your dont loose your memory stick/keys. seeing that id forget my head it it wasn't screwed this is possibly not the best solution for me! so basically no one has a safety deposit box like in films?

Do it online.

My old company (two of us) had every document backed up to a thingy online and you could access from anywhere with internet (everywhyere).

Can't remember the name though. There will be loads.

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 8:00 pm

ok scamp- I will google thingy online...

I quite liked the idea of have a security box - like in the movies, thought id buy a hat and look mysterious as I go to the bank, but no- online it is- all this technology has ruined the romantic drama of yesteryear!

Meow Jul 21st 2012 8:03 pm

Online thingy = cloud computing?

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10186000)

Of course - lots of people have them. Personally i've never used one but i'm sure if you visit your bank (UK or Dub) they will advise you. Or perhaps your lawyer/solicitor will offer a similar typw of secure holding service.

just fill a Louboutin box and stash it on top of your wardrobe or under your bed...like most of us !

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 21st 2012 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by goonerseba (Post 10186010)
Of course - lots of people have them. Personally i've never used one but i'm sure if you visit your bank (UK or Dub) they will advise you. Or perhaps your lawyer/solicitor will offer a similar typw of secure holding service.

just fill a Clarks box and stash it on top of your wardrobe or under your bed...like most of us !

Edited for you.

kittycat1 Jul 21st 2012 8:05 pm

cloud computing? what is this meow?

oi scamp I do not wear clarks!

goonerseba Jul 21st 2012 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10186012)
Edited for you.

Ta - mine is a safety-shoe box. The Louboutin box was for Kittycat.

Meow Jul 21st 2012 8:09 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Basically you send information up into the heavens and it floats around on a cloud which follows you around so you can get to it whenever you want. ;)

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cl...-computing.htm

norsk Jul 21st 2012 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10186004)
Do it online.

My old company (two of us) had every document backed up to a thingy online and you could access from anywhere with internet (everywhyere).

Can't remember the name though. There will be loads.

Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive are all free and perfect for this kind of thing. Carrying an encrypted USB dongle is okay I guess, but you could lose your keys. End of the day having multiple copies is the rule if you don't want to lose something.

At home I keep all passports and such in a small fire-safe cash box sort of thing. Cost about AED200 from Ace..

Bahtatboy Jul 21st 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10186023)
At home I keep all passports and such in a small fire-safe cash box sort of thing. Cost about AED200 from Ace..

Is it too heavy for burglars to nick? I like the idea, but would be worried that if I was burglarised then it would make it too obvious where the valuable stuff is.

norsk Jul 21st 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10186035)
Is it too heavy for burglars to nick? I like the idea, but would be worried that if I was burglarised then it would make it too obvious where the valuable stuff is.

It's meant to protect documents in case of fire, so no it won't discourage burglars. I did however consider putting it somewhere in the house where a burglar would never find it, but haven't really felt particularly at risk in my apartment (there is almost always someone home).

TheShed Jul 21st 2012 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10186020)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Basically you send information up into the heavens and it floats around on a cloud which follows you around so you can get to it whenever you want. ;)

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cl...-computing.htm

One of the good things about Cloud Storage is nothing sits in the same place (even individual files are sometimes split across servers) so no one else can get all of your stuff without your passwords etc.

Many of the newer home network drives now have "personal clouds" that distributes your data across multiple drives in the house eliminating the single point of failure. I have massive numbers of digital photos (yep I am a twitcher) and these are backed up to multiple drives and then replicated across the interweb. Reckon they are safe up to the point of multiple nukes across the various datacentres of the world when I would not need them anyway.

Important original copies are in a fire safe.

Welivehere Jul 21st 2012 9:42 pm

For valuables here a small fireproof safe that bolts to the floor / wall is an option.
For valuable documnets we scan them and then email copies to ourselves and family.
For pics and music we burn USB backups and them them back to UK for safe keeping with family.

flares Jul 21st 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 10185836)
Ya haha. I'm not falling for that one ;) :p

a cat burgler!