British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Where can I get small denomination Dollar Bills (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-can-i-get-small-denomination-dollar-bills-879496/)

TheShed Jun 27th 2016 5:05 am

Where can I get small denomination Dollar Bills

Bit of an odd one I suspect.

Mrs Shed and I are off for a grand Asia trip next week and we will be visiting Laos and Cambodia for a while. One of the travel forums I use has suggested that USD is widely accepted in these countries but cash vendors will always give change in local currency and suggested to take small bills.

I have plenty of cash dollars but they are all 100 bills. Where in Dubai would you go to straight swap some of these to smaller denominations? Preferably near DIFC if possible.

DXBtoDOH Jun 27th 2016 5:08 am

Re: Where can I get small denomination Dollar Bills

Pretty sure any decent exchange place will be happy to give you tenners and twenties.

I don't know about fives or ones.

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11985904)
Bit of an odd one I suspect.

Mrs Shed and I are off for a grand Asia trip next week and we will be visiting Laos and Cambodia for a while. One of the travel forums I use has suggested that USD is widely accepted in these countries but cash vendors will always give change in local currency and suggested to take small bills.

I have plenty of cash dollars but they are all 100 bills. Where in Dubai would you go to straight swap some of these to smaller denominations? Preferably near DIFC if possible.

iggle Jun 27th 2016 5:10 am

Strip Club, get Mrs Shed to work her booty and make it RAIN!!

Irishbeekeeper Jun 27th 2016 11:20 am

I asked a few money changers here in bur mate and they said they neither buy nor sell them as no one usually wants them
check with any hotel that usually caters for expats
their cashier should have small dollar bills

TheShed Jun 27th 2016 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11986203)
I asked a few money changers here in bur mate and they said they neither buy nor sell them as no one usually wants them
check with any hotel that usually caters for expats
their cashier should have small dollar bills

Thanks Irish! Really appreciate you taking the trouble. Owe you a pint if BE ever meets up again ;)

jam25mack Jun 28th 2016 8:01 am

TBH its not a huge issue taking them. Yes small bills are a benefit but just pay for a hotel with one (and change them there) and then cash the others when you can.

SEA may be cheap but there's still a decent amount of cash flying about.

scot47 Jun 30th 2016 3:37 pm

Don't know about UAE but the moneychangers in KSA always had small-denomination US dollar bills available. They had them made up in bundles of 100. Mind you I am a figure from the past. I wonder how my old pal Harold St John Philby is doing !