Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy a poppy?

Where can I buy a poppy?

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 9:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I buy a poppy?

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
where did you buy last years?
I never, I used the poppy from the previous year. I keep the same one in a drawer in my bedroom.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Waitrose in Dubai Mall.

My office reception - oddly.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
The planets have aligned or we are nearing the end of the world but I am going to agree with you.
I have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy (nearing the 100th(!!) year anniversary of WW1) but if you really want to help the legion you should donate directly. Not sure what minor percentage of the cost of a poppy in Dubai will make it back to their coffers. Not much I'd imagine.

Wearing a poppy the real life version of facebook liking or tying a ribbon

Polishing my broad sword for Viking invasion day 1014. Support our brave troops
I'm not up to date with making donations back home. Used to pick a charity every year and do a monthly thing.

British Legion normally made their fair whack out of me. I'd buy one everyday and inevitably have crumpled it with a jacket or bag by the end...
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

How rude to suggest that the people selling poppies here don't send the money raised to the British Legion.

My office reception in Tecom has them, as does my doctor's office (Keith Nicholl Medical Centre, Beach Road, Umm Sequim 1). They also usually have them in the Library at Ductac, MoE.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
How rude to suggest that the people selling poppies here don't send the money raised to the British Legion.

My office reception in Tecom has them, as does my doctor's office (Keith Nicholl Medical Centre, Beach Road, Umm Sequim 1). They also usually have them in the Library at Ductac, MoE.
And it definitely goes to the British Legion? That'll do then......... see you later.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:19 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
And it definitely goes to the British Legion? That'll do then......... see you later.
From our collection - for definite. I am not in the office today as I'm working from home, as I usually do although I have in-laws staying so quite tempted to go out...

My doctor's office is closer to you and they are open until 6pm x
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:19 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't care - I'll wear mine and dare anyone to try and stop me.
I see the Raj is not quite dead yet.....
Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:30 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I guess the point was a donation to the legion gets to them 100%, buying a poppy means a certain percentage must go to covering the cost of the poppy etc.
no one is doubting the integrity of the people here, untwist ze knickers fraulein
Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I see the Raj is not quite dead yet.....
Thank you............

I'm a great believer in poppy wearing actually - because I wear one for the original and proper reason: to remember those who died fighting a war they probably didn't even begin to comprehend. For some reason, I only ever think of WW1 when I buy/wear a poppy.

I despise the idiots who think poppies 'glorify' war - they completely miss the point (which is, surely, that poppies are more poignant precisely because so many died in pointless conflict or in pointless circumstances).
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Waitrose in Dubai Mall.

My office reception - oddly.
Waitrose sends the money to the British Legion? Interesting.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 2:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

For some reason, I only ever think of WW1 when I buy/wear a poppy..
I lean that way too, from memory; Dulce et decorum est pro patria Mori.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

any brit sch will have them
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:57 am
Bored liberal

Thank you............

I'm a great believer in poppy wearing actually - because I wear one for the original and proper reason: to remember those who died fighting a war they probably didn't even begin to comprehend. For some reason, I only ever think of WW1 when I buy/wear a poppy.

I despise the idiots who think poppies 'glorify' war - they completely miss the point (which is, surely, that poppies are more poignant precisely because so many died in pointless conflict or in pointless circumstances).
Exactly!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:02 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you............

It's not the wearing of the poppy I was alluding to, it's the attitude that you would wear it regardless of any local rules or sentiments, not that there are any of which I am aware but the presumption that it was your damned right to over-ride them regardless.

BTW, that whole WWI/poppy thing does have a very different and much more ambiguous resonance in Ireland. Given your professed love for the wonderful Irish people (which I'm sure is truly heartfelt and nothing to do with their voting patterns in EU referenda) it is a factor to which you might wish to be sensitive should you ever exercise your undoubted god-given right to wear a poppy wherever you go come hell or high water while visiting there...
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
It's not the wearing of the poppy I was alluding to, it's the attitude that you would wear it regardless of any local rules or sentiments, not that there are any of which I am aware but the presumption that it was your damned right to over-ride them regardless.

BTW, that whole WWI/poppy thing does have a very different and much more ambiguous resonance in Ireland. Given your professed love for the wonderful Irish people (which I'm sure is truly heartfelt and nothing to do with their voting patterns in EU referenda) it is a factor to which you might wish to be sensitive should you ever exercise your undoubted god-given right to wear a poppy wherever you go come hell or high water while visiting there...
I am aware - but thanks. The UK is still, as far as I recall, Ireland's sworn enemy, and what passes for a respectful gesture of remembrance in my country would no doubt be seen as inflammatory in yours.

I actually wasn't aware that poppies were worn, or even recognised, in Ireland at all, actually - I thought it was a uniquely British tradition. I think I'm right in saying that not even the 'Commonwealth' countries have an equivalent.

And no need to be so aggressive - I suspect that you and I have far more in common than you might think. My comments about wearing a poppy without caring who objected was meant to be a reference to the Gulf region, but...... anyway, thanks for the dialogue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.