British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Where can I buy a poppy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-can-i-buy-poppy-776503/)

commander Nov 3rd 2012 9:35 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10363835)
where did you buy last years?

I never, I used the poppy from the previous year. I keep the same one in a drawer in my bedroom.

Cypselos Nov 4th 2012 4:15 am

Waitrose in Dubai Mall.

My office reception - oddly.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 4th 2012 4:18 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10363774)
The planets have aligned or we are nearing the end of the world but I am going to agree with you.
I have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy (nearing the 100th(!!) year anniversary of WW1) but if you really want to help the legion you should donate directly. Not sure what minor percentage of the cost of a poppy in Dubai will make it back to their coffers. Not much I'd imagine.

Wearing a poppy the real life version of facebook liking or tying a ribbon :nod:

Polishing my broad sword for Viking invasion day 1014. Support our brave troops

I'm not up to date with making donations back home. Used to pick a charity every year and do a monthly thing.

British Legion normally made their fair whack out of me. I'd buy one everyday and inevitably have crumpled it with a jacket or bag by the end...

Meow Nov 4th 2012 4:52 am

How rude to suggest that the people selling poppies here don't send the money raised to the British Legion.

My office reception in Tecom has them, as does my doctor's office (Keith Nicholl Medical Centre, Beach Road, Umm Sequim 1). They also usually have them in the Library at Ductac, MoE.

The Dean Nov 4th 2012 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10364864)
How rude to suggest that the people selling poppies here don't send the money raised to the British Legion.

My office reception in Tecom has them, as does my doctor's office (Keith Nicholl Medical Centre, Beach Road, Umm Sequim 1). They also usually have them in the Library at Ductac, MoE.

And it definitely goes to the British Legion? That'll do then......... see you later.

Meow Nov 4th 2012 7:19 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10364961)
And it definitely goes to the British Legion? That'll do then......... see you later.

From our collection - for definite. I am not in the office today as I'm working from home, as I usually do although I have in-laws staying so quite tempted to go out...

My doctor's office is closer to you and they are open until 6pm x

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 4th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10363700)
Don't care - I'll wear mine and dare anyone to try and stop me.

I see the Raj is not quite dead yet.....

weasel decentral Nov 4th 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10364864)

I guess the point was a donation to the legion gets to them 100%, buying a poppy means a certain percentage must go to covering the cost of the poppy etc.
no one is doubting the integrity of the people here, untwist ze knickers fraulein

The Dean Nov 4th 2012 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10365224)
I see the Raj is not quite dead yet.....

Thank you............

I'm a great believer in poppy wearing actually - because I wear one for the original and proper reason: to remember those who died fighting a war they probably didn't even begin to comprehend. For some reason, I only ever think of WW1 when I buy/wear a poppy.

I despise the idiots who think poppies 'glorify' war - they completely miss the point (which is, surely, that poppies are more poignant precisely because so many died in pointless conflict or in pointless circumstances).

The Dean Nov 5th 2012 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10364846)
Waitrose in Dubai Mall.

My office reception - oddly.

Waitrose sends the money to the British Legion? Interesting.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 5th 2012 2:49 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10365514)
For some reason, I only ever think of WW1 when I buy/wear a poppy..

I lean that way too, from memory; Dulce et decorum est pro patria Mori.

busybee2 Nov 5th 2012 3:06 am

any brit sch will have them

Meow Nov 5th 2012 3:57 am

Thank you............

I'm a great believer in poppy wearing actually - because I wear one for the original and proper reason: to remember those who died fighting a war they probably didn't even begin to comprehend. For some reason, I only ever think of WW1 when I buy/wear a poppy.

I despise the idiots who think poppies 'glorify' war - they completely miss the point (which is, surely, that poppies are more poignant precisely because so many died in pointless conflict or in pointless circumstances).

Exactly!

Miss Anne Thrope Nov 5th 2012 8:02 am

Thank you............

It's not the wearing of the poppy I was alluding to, it's the attitude that you would wear it regardless of any local rules or sentiments, not that there are any of which I am aware but the presumption that it was your damned right to over-ride them regardless.

BTW, that whole WWI/poppy thing does have a very different and much more ambiguous resonance in Ireland. Given your professed love for the wonderful Irish people (which I'm sure is truly heartfelt and nothing to do with their voting patterns in EU referenda) it is a factor to which you might wish to be sensitive should you ever exercise your undoubted god-given right to wear a poppy wherever you go come hell or high water while visiting there...

The Dean Nov 5th 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10366509)
It's not the wearing of the poppy I was alluding to, it's the attitude that you would wear it regardless of any local rules or sentiments, not that there are any of which I am aware but the presumption that it was your damned right to over-ride them regardless.

BTW, that whole WWI/poppy thing does have a very different and much more ambiguous resonance in Ireland. Given your professed love for the wonderful Irish people (which I'm sure is truly heartfelt and nothing to do with their voting patterns in EU referenda) it is a factor to which you might wish to be sensitive should you ever exercise your undoubted god-given right to wear a poppy wherever you go come hell or high water while visiting there...

I am aware - but thanks. The UK is still, as far as I recall, Ireland's sworn enemy, and what passes for a respectful gesture of remembrance in my country would no doubt be seen as inflammatory in yours.

I actually wasn't aware that poppies were worn, or even recognised, in Ireland at all, actually - I thought it was a uniquely British tradition. I think I'm right in saying that not even the 'Commonwealth' countries have an equivalent.

And no need to be so aggressive - I suspect that you and I have far more in common than you might think. My comments about wearing a poppy without caring who objected was meant to be a reference to the Gulf region, but...... anyway, thanks for the dialogue.