British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Where can I buy a poppy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/where-can-i-buy-poppy-776503/)

The Dean Nov 3rd 2012 4:45 am

Where can I buy a poppy?
 
I want the money to go to the right place (British Legion). :huh:

Thank you.

Scamp Nov 3rd 2012 5:03 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10363692)
I want the money to go to the right place (British Legion). :huh:

Thank you.

Good question. Any issues with wearing one here fr any random reason?

The Dean Nov 3rd 2012 5:05 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10363699)
Good question. Any issues with wearing one here fr any random reason?

Don't care - I'll wear mine and dare anyone to try and stop me.

dubaiguy2011 Nov 3rd 2012 5:45 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10363699)
Good question. Any issues with wearing one here fr any random reason?

No issues guys re wearing them. For purchasing - try Lloyds TSB opposite Safa Park and/or any of the UK based professional services firms in Emaar Square or elsewhere about town. Failing that, the British Consulate.

I even think that Central Perk (Um Al Sheif Rd in Jumeirah 3) has them?

mentalist Nov 3rd 2012 6:56 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 
This is the United Arab Emirates not Surrey. If you want to donate to the British Legion I suggest you go to their website.

Scamp Nov 3rd 2012 6:59 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10363759)
This is the United Arab Emirates not Surrey. If you want to donate to the British Legion I suggest you go to their website.

You never have anything positive, constructive or nice to say.

mentalist Nov 3rd 2012 7:01 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10363762)
You never have anything positive, constructive or nice to say.

For those of you who cannot survive here without something traditionally British to cling on to, have a look at this.;)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-modesty.html

weasel decentral Nov 3rd 2012 7:24 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10363759)
This is the United Arab Emirates not Surrey. If you want to donate to the British Legion I suggest you go to their website.

The planets have aligned or we are nearing the end of the world but I am going to agree with you.
I have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy (nearing the 100th(!!) year anniversary of WW1) but if you really want to help the legion you should donate directly. Not sure what minor percentage of the cost of a poppy in Dubai will make it back to their coffers. Not much I'd imagine.

Wearing a poppy the real life version of facebook liking or tying a ribbon :nod:

Polishing my broad sword for Viking invasion day 1014. Support our brave troops

Sandboy Nov 3rd 2012 7:29 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10363759)
This is the United Arab Emirates not Surrey. If you want to donate to the British Legion I suggest you go to their website.

penis

Sandboy Nov 3rd 2012 7:33 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10363774)
The planets have aligned or we are nearing the end of the world but I am going to agree with you.
I have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy (nearing the 100th(!!) year anniversary of WW1) but if you really want to help the legion you should donate directly. Not sure what minor percentage of the cost of a poppy in Dubai will make it back to their coffers. Not much I'd imagine.

Wearing a poppy the real life version of facebook liking or tying a ribbon :nod:

Polishing my broad sword for Viking invasion day 1014. Support our brave troops

maybe he does donate directly already ? he asked where he could get a poppy.

got one off an old lad in a supermarket in Scotland last week, I was humbled just talking to him for a minute and the poppy prompted the bairn to ask lots of questions

I suspect your ribbon and facebook quote was tongue in cheek but it was still utter bollocks


* DESS used to always have poppies

weasel decentral Nov 3rd 2012 7:41 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 10363788)
maybe he does donate directly already ? he asked where he could get a poppy.

he asked where he could get a poppy and wanted the money from the poppy to go to the legion.

The rest was relatively tongue in cheek, its Saturday and I am in work, so by God I am going to upset randoms on the internet to ease my pain:eek:

Millhouse Nov 3rd 2012 8:19 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10363692)
I want the money to go to the right place (British Legion). :huh:

Thank you.

How much do you pay for a poppy? A token quid to the guy selling them outside Morrisons or something meaningful?

commander Nov 3rd 2012 8:23 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 
I re-use last years.

weasel decentral Nov 3rd 2012 8:30 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10363830)
I re-use last years.

where did you buy last years?

Millhouse Nov 3rd 2012 8:40 am

Re: Where can I buy a poppy?
 

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10363830)
I re-use last years.

good lad. We are in recession and you need to look after those pennies.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:40 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.