British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   When is an ID card not an ID card? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/when-id-card-not-id-card-628692/)

TheShed Sep 2nd 2009 4:47 am

When is an ID card not an ID card?

I have recently run the gauntlet of aquiring the Emirates ID card. If you go to Al Ain, its not that bad, nice run in my sports car and a nice lunch with the wife on the way back.

All over the centre it tells you to go and add eGate functionality to the card to speed up your airport journeys - no problem there then and it saves me carrying an extra card. I need to do this as my old eGate expired some time ago and I generally go through the airport once a week.

Yesterday afternoon its a bit slow so off to DNATA I trot with ID card and money. I spoke to the lovely Emirati lady behind the counter and told her what I wanted, "no problem my dear!!". "If you can just give me your passport we will have it added in minutes".

Uh, Hello? All of the details of my passport and a huge amount more information is all on this little magic card.

"Yes I know sir, but we cannot accept that card as firm proof of ID from foreigners - Passport please"

Give me strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:frown:

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2009 6:02 am

Re: When is an ID card not an ID card?

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 7896140)
I have recently run the gauntlet of aquiring the Emirates ID card. If you go to Al Ain, its not that bad, nice run in my sports car and a nice lunch with the wife on the way back.

All over the centre it tells you to go and add eGate functionality to the card to speed up your airport journeys - no problem there then and it saves me carrying an extra card. I need to do this as my old eGate expired some time ago and I generally go through the airport once a week.

Yesterday afternoon its a bit slow so off to DNATA I trot with ID card and money. I spoke to the lovely Emirati lady behind the counter and told her what I wanted, "no problem my dear!!". "If you can just give me your passport we will have it added in minutes".

Uh, Hello? All of the details of my passport and a huge amount more information is all on this little magic card.

"Yes I know sir, but we cannot accept that card as firm proof of ID from foreigners - Passport please"

and that is why we don't have one ;)

Morecambe Mindy Sep 2nd 2009 7:58 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 7896140)

Love it!!!

Hello.Kitty Sep 2nd 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 7896391)
Love it!!!

It's a bit like when the UK changed its driving licenses to the card version... great, just have to carry a card around - oh no, it's not valid unless you also carry the paper part. Hmm, so we swapped a paper for a card *and* paper...

seven seas Sep 2nd 2009 5:43 pm

Sometimes places require two forms of ID.

klaus3974 Sep 3rd 2009 3:19 am

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 7897754)
Sometimes places require two forms of ID.

Two IDs required if you want to buy alcohol in several US States.

Roadking Sep 3rd 2009 8:17 am

No IDa

Bungdit Din Sep 4th 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 7899035)
Two IDs required if you want to buy alcohol in several US States.

yeah but USA doesn't have national ID card system. whole point of a national ID card is that it's meant to be official govt proof of who you are... if you have one you shouldn't need to show any other ID to confirm your identity.