Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

When to go to Bur Dubai

When to go to Bur Dubai

Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Re: When to go to Bur Dubai

Originally Posted by commander

then take her up the Bur Dubai
Is that slang for something else? I'm new here.....
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, the irony.

Oldtime expats moaning about New Dubai and talking about how nice Old Dubai was.....yet they all still moved out to New Dubai.

Am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I miss living in Satwa I have to say, was there for years before we moved upto the shallow empty quarter formerly known as new Dubai
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Oh, the irony.

Oldtime expats moaning about New Dubai and how nice Old Dubai was.....yet they all still moved out to New Dubai.

I guess lots of people have thought the sand might be yellower if they moved elsewhere but, like BlueCat said, I have a few friends in Satwa and they love it there and won't leave. Then again, they do have their own Villas with pool access, not living in shiny towers like newbies like me I like the access to meeting new people that tower dwelling gives but must be nice to have a villa and a pool that only you pee in and not the other 300 residents as well
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the irony.

Oldtime expats moaning about New Dubai and talking about how nice Old Dubai was.....yet they all still moved out to New Dubai.

The good thing about the old parts of town is that you can actually walk to various places to get pissed and it didn't cost you the Earth...!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:45 am
Account Closed

There are considerably more villas with pools in New Dubai than in Satwa or Bur Dubai.... Satwa actually only has a small area with villas and pools, which is properly called Al Badia. A couple interesting streets tucked off Al Wasl including one amazing Chinese pagoda style house which never ceases to catch my attention every time I trek down there - that part of "Satwa" does have charm.

Then there are the fairly anonymous rows of attached villas between Al Wasl and the main Satwa Street just south of Al Hudaiba. However in either cases you aren't really in Satwa proper, just in very close proximity to it.

A goodly amount of Bur Dubai is also shiny towers. Dubai didn't grow steadily outwards from the creek, it hopped over large undeveloped tracts of land. A lot of the area between Trade Centre roundabout down to Kuwait Road is new and contemporary with New Dubai. Endless rows of boring mid-rise apartment blocks of no distinctive merit.

It does amuse me how people so easily jump to conclusions about my attitude towards Bur Dubai. I detest going down there because of the traffic and also because I don't find it an interesting area after a few visits. Other than the Indian joints of Karama, there's few bars or shops that catches my fancy. The gold souk is tacky as hell. It's hardly "historic." Oh, sure, the area has atmosphere but it's not atmospheric enough to face the traffic and parking nightmare. Rush hour traffic from Defence Roundabout to Trade Centre and along Al Wasl, Al Diyafa and the other main roads into Bur Dubai/Satwa is horrendous.

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
I guess lots of people have thought the sand might be yellower if they moved elsewhere but, like BlueCat said, I have a few friends in Satwa and they love it there and won't leave. Then again, they do have their own Villas with pool access, not living in shiny towers like newbies like me I like the access to meeting new people that tower dwelling gives but must be nice to have a villa and a pool that only you pee in and not the other 300 residents as well
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:52 am
Account Closed

I came out to Dubai almost three years ago.

When I first came here, the breakdown of where my friends and coworkers lived, both young expats sharing and families with their own villas:

1/4 in Bur Dubai/Satwa.

1/3 in Jumeira/Umm Suqiem.

1/3 in New Dubai (Marina, Ranches, Springs, Greens, JLT etc.)

The unfortunate rest in Mirdiff.

Today?

2/3rds live in New Dubai.

Less than a quarter live in Jumeira/Umm Suqiem.

I think I only know one person who still lives in Satwa and no one lives in Bur Dubai anymore.

I first lived in Umm Suqiem when I came out here and it's amusing that we used to groan about having to trek all the way out to the Marina or JLT.

But the gravity centre of Dubai has shifted southwards, which was duly noted by the editor of the Time Out in a back page feature a few weeks ago. A Satwa devotee she was but even she had to acknowledge than in a span of just a few years almost everyone she knew had moved out to New Dubai.

Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:55 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

it must be such a nice feeling to be right about everything...
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Damn right, old Dutch lady.

On a more serious note, this isn't a question of right or wrong. Just personal opinions along with observations that have been bourne out by many others.

Originally Posted by MataHari
it must be such a nice feeling to be right about everything...
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

here we go again. Now, where is that spaceship to Mars?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:30 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

as long as everyone keeps hating mirdif i'll be happy.
mirdif has
a near zero knobers count
rents dropping like a stone
no traffic
and an exaggerated noise problem
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:43 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the irony.

We had no choice but to move and trust me we have tried to get back down there. We were in Jafflyia which is the area behind immigration. At that time, it was the year before they introduced the rent cap and our landlord decided to put the rent up from 85k to something like 135k, either pay up or move out. We moved out.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:07 pm