Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

When does Middle Age start?

When does Middle Age start?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does Middle Age start?

Patsy, I don't think women go through a mid life crisis, and as for no boy being to young, is it not correct that men are at their sexual peak at 17 whereas women don't hit it until they are 34, also the fact that women live longer than men so it actually makes perfect sense for women to go for younger men.

And what man doesn't have a Mrs Robinson fantasy?

Going back to the op I think we see the whole 40/50 years as milestones, turning 40 is a significant milestone as you think you should have achieved certain things by that age and again at 50, so you analyze your life and realize you have or haven't achieved those things which can send you into a what have I done with my life mode. Men live their lives like teenagers, only making significant decisions when they really have to, I think around 35/40 they stop having decisions made for them, their parents have let them take control and they have already got married maybe started a family almost unconsciously as its was just an automatic step in their relationships, they look around at their friends and see the same thing, so they are left as the head of a house suddenly freaking out that they aren't actually teenagers anymore and actually have responsibilities, they become unsure what to do so they run away and buy a motorbike or have an affair as they feel this takes the responsibilities of life away and they don't know what else to do. Men don't want to grow up and when they realize they have they freak out about it and revert to teenage behaviour...

Women however have their biological clock, I freaked out at turning 30 and am at the horrible age of realizing maybe I won't have kids- even though I never really wanted them you realize that you don't have forever to decide whether you do or don't, it still sends you into baby mode- especially when you see your friends starting families, it makes you look at your relationships differently and you stop looking for mr right now but its mr right or nothing. Women that have children are in maternal mode and spend the next 20-30 odd years happy raising their children putting their kids first rather than their husbands (also a very difficult time for men as they are no longer number 1 in their wives lives), so women are generally more contented than men, note why women don't run away from their responsibilities and spend the rest of their lives chasing after years gone by..

Kittycat
x
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:05 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Patsy, I don't think women go through a mid life crisis, and as for no boy being to young, is it not correct that men are at their sexual peak at 17 whereas women don't hit it until they are 34, also the fact that women live longer than men so it actually makes perfect sense for women to go for younger men.

And what man doesn't have a Mrs Robinson fantasy?

Going back to the op I think we see the whole 40/50 years as milestones, turning 40 is a significant milestone as you think you should have achieved certain things by that age and again at 50, so you analyze your life and realize you have or haven't achieved those things which can send you into a what have I done with my life mode. Men live their lives like teenagers, only making significant decisions when they really have to, I think around 35/40 they stop having decisions made for them, their parents have let them take control and they have already got married maybe started a family almost unconsciously as its was just an automatic step in their relationships, they look around at their friends and see the same thing, so they are left as the head of a house suddenly freaking out that they aren't actually teenagers anymore and actually have responsibilities, they become unsure what to do so they run away and buy a motorbike or have an affair as they feel this takes the responsibilities of life away and they don't know what else to do. Men don't want to grow up and when they realize they have they freak out about it and revert to teenage behaviour...

Women however have their biological clock, I freaked out at turning 30 and am at the horrible age of realizing maybe I won't have kids- even though I never really wanted them you realize that you don't have forever to decide whether you do or don't, it still sends you into baby mode- especially when you see your friends starting families, it makes you look at your relationships differently and you stop looking for mr right now but its mr right or nothing. Women that have children are in maternal mode and spend the next 20-30 odd years happy raising their children putting their kids first rather than their husbands (also a very difficult time for men as they are no longer number 1 in their wives lives), so women are generally more contented than men, note why women don't run away from their responsibilities and spend the rest of their lives chasing after years gone by..

Kittycat
x
Sexist.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
To answer the original Q, I think it's a lot to do with how you 'feel' about yourself and about your life at the present moment.

I know people who left Uni at the same time as me (at the end of the 70's)and immediately took a 'middle aged' approcah to everything (the way they dressed, the way they talked, the things they did in their spare time). At the other end I have an Uncle who is in his 70's, works occasionally as a male stripper and also travels to/has a g/f in Thailand.

I see life as being like one big footy game. Where are you in the game? are you still warming up? are you well into the first half? are you kicking off after half time? are you getting into extra time (if you're lucky!). Are you winning the game? are you losing and by how much?

Not as simple as it might seem.
I'm just a sub.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:44 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you eyeing up girls that are far too young for you?
Decided I must be middle-aged when I realised that I genuinely wasn't interested in sleeping with 20 year old girls any more.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:16 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Men live their lives like teenagers, only making significant decisions when they really have to, I think around 35/40 they stop having decisions made for them, their parents have let them take control and they have already got married maybe started a family almost unconsciously as its was just an automatic step in their relationships, they look around at their friends and see the same thing, so they are left as the head of a house suddenly freaking out that they aren't actually teenagers anymore and actually have responsibilities, they become unsure what to do so they run away and buy a motorbike or have an affair as they feel this takes the responsibilities of life away and they don't know what else to do. Men don't want to grow up and when they realize they have they freak out about it and revert to teenage behaviour...

so women are generally more contented than men, note why women don't run away from their responsibilities and spend the rest of their lives chasing after years gone by..

Kittycat
x
You don't like to generalise..... much..... do you?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
BahtatBoy just got me thinking.....

When does middle age start?

Never thought about this before but, as I am a recent entry to the 40's, BBoy's mention of it has got me thinking "How long to go before I am officially middle aged?"

Can anyone tell me a definitive age?
It all starts when you buy a red sports car and get yourself a blonde girlfriend...
Mine was about 13 years ago...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that the middle ages begin in about 1066 and end around 1500.

Oh- and Kitty Cat. You're endangered of becoming a species called cougar.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think it starts when the morning stiffy stops.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Middle age starts when you buy shoes for comfort, not because they look good/sexy.

-
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Middle age starts when you buy shoes for comfort, not because they look good/sexy.

-
I am officially middle aged
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Mind you, when you do reach middle age, at least you will know how to enjoy it.............

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifes...62P0QX20100326
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

-
Lol When my mother was here I was trying on a pair of 5.5inch Jimmy Choos...........my mother asked me if they were comfortable..........er........ofcourse not!!!!!! but they look fantastic

You go house to car to barstool to restaurant to bar/club etc then car to home..you don't walk in them!!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:41 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Mind you, when you do reach middle age, at least you will know how to enjoy it.............

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifes...62P0QX20100326
LOL at number 1!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:51 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

You know that you have started middle age if you can identify with any of the following:

1. Far more members of the opposite sex start to look particularly attractive.

2. You get more excited about having a roast on a Sunday than going
clubbing the night before.

3. Before going out anywhere, you ask whether there is anywhere to park.

4. You leave clubs before the end to "beat the rush" (worst still
you don't go to the clubs).

5. To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go
clubbing, you instead frequent trendy bars, restaurants or go to quiz nights in the mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents.

6. You buy T-shirts without anything written on them.

7. You don't get funny looks anymore when you buy a Disney video as the sales assistant assumes they are for your children.

8. Pop music all starts to sound the same.

9. You actually find yourself saying "They don't make them like that
anymore" and "I remember when a taxi journey was 15 dirhams" and "Not
in my day...."

10. You find yourself saying "is it cold in here or is it just me?"