British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Whats your most random experience here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-your-most-random-experience-here-675310/)

kittycat1 Jul 5th 2010 6:24 pm

Whats your most random experience here?

I've had a pretty random day- and I'm sure there will be many more whilst I'm here- whats everyones most random experiences whilst being in the sandy pit?

xxx

meant to put this in the sandpit- bugger!

Millhouse Jul 5th 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Whats your most random experience here?

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8679417)
I've had a pretty random day- and I'm sure there will be many more whilst I'm here- whats everyones most random experiences whilst being in the sandy pit?

xxx

The day I discovered the RAND() function in excel. What a day that was.

Or, maybe it was the day I witnessed an abiyad women get thrown up in the air by a gold and white taxi...

or, maybe the day I witnessed an abiyaed woman struggle to stop for the lights on the corniche, spin 180 on the junction, missing everything, gather her thoughts and drive off in the other direction.

or, the day 9 people from my team of ten all got fired leaving me with the job of sweeping up.

hnd Jul 5th 2010 8:58 pm

Pretty much every day is a 'random' day isn't it?

For some it will probably be phantom traffic fines when their car was in the garage and they weren't even in the country. (BTW have given up with Ecard - stamp in the passport seems to hold more sway, esp if those dreaded tax people in UK seem to want to get on your case. Your passport may not be stamped on arrival or departure in UK but it's definitely stamped on the way out and on the way in to the UAE.)

A brief dictionary definition of "random" is haphazard, uncontrolled, chance, irregular.

Pretty much sums up this place, doesn't it?

Ronnie Biggs Jul 5th 2010 10:46 pm

xxx

I saw a woman driving a London style taxi cab in Bahrain dressed in a full burkha last week. It's a kind of progress I guess.....

johnbuoy Jul 6th 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 8679949)
I saw a woman driving a London style taxi cab in Bahrain dressed in a full burkha last week. It's a kind of progress I guess.....

Assuming it was a woman and not Fred Housego just trying to get by unrecognised!!!

Bahtatboy Jul 6th 2010 11:05 am

Coming back through immigration at DXB from Switzerland and on presenting my passport somehow a condom (still in its bright blue wrapper) had found its way between the pages of my passport. The official and I had a really good laugh over it.

johnbuoy Jul 6th 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8680938)
Coming back through immigration at DXB from Switzerland and on presenting my passport somehow a condom (still in its bright blue wrapper) had found its way between the pages of my passport. The official and I had a really good laugh over it.

Only You Lad!!

fezzer Jul 6th 2010 11:49 am

It was a little random arriving back to my car when up in the Northern Emirates to see a goat standing on the roof.

Oranje Crush Jul 6th 2010 1:10 pm

I went into the restroom at DBX last year and guys were bathing in the sinks..

Spugsy Jul 6th 2010 1:19 pm

xxx

I asked my cab driver on the weekend 'whos the most famous person you've had in your cab' and he laughed and said 'yesterday!'.

No idea.....

Welivehere Jul 6th 2010 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8679713)
(BTW have given up with Ecard - stamp in the passport seems to hold more sway, esp if those dreaded tax people in UK seem to want to get on your case. Your passport may not be stamped on arrival or departure in UK but it's definitely stamped on the way out and on the way in to the UAE.)

Off topic
Hnd - Last time I wen through Egate at Dxb airport it printed little receipt showing the entry and exit dates you used e-gate.

littlejimmy Jul 6th 2010 8:46 pm

The day I went into the Springs Village shopping centre and encountered a Santa's grotto where the music being played was a selection of Kevin Bloody Wilson songs...including, "Ho, ho, ****ing ho, what a crock of shit..."

Ronnie Biggs Jul 6th 2010 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8682216)
The day I went into the Springs Village shopping centre and encountered a Santa's grotto where the music being played was a selection of Kevin Bloody Wilson songs...including, "Ho, ho, ****ing ho, what a crock of shit..."

I remember hearing the unedited version of an Enimem album, complete with f***s and mother******s etc etc in Woolworths in Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi. Likewise seeing an Indian gentlemen wearing a T-Shirt with the slogan "Better a Blow Job than No Job" in Hamdan Street was also a brilliant shock......

shiva Jul 7th 2010 10:16 am

frankly it would be easier to mention the normal days and normal things as they are far easier to distinguish

kittycat1 Jul 7th 2010 10:32 am

I know but teh random things are much more entertaining.