British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What's your "Local" like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-your-local-like-895538/)

IKnowNothing Apr 18th 2017 8:18 am

What's your "Local" like?

Just cos i read mission saying about Fire and Ice being hers, so i thought about it, and I have 2 - not the nearest to me, but the places I most frequent.

Jebal Ali Club - yep it's a 70s throwback but the cheap beer (27/31 a pint) and the decent priced decent quality and large portions of food makes it a decent spot.

The other is Goodfellas in Tecom, happy hour is 25/pint 6-9pm, drops to 20/pint 10-1am (sip during 9-10pm). Only problem is they only have 2 sports feeds and during Liverpool games it's packed out with Scouser fans.

dominoman Apr 18th 2017 8:25 am

Re: What's your "Local" like?

My local in Abu Dhabi is the Marriott opposite the Al Wadha mall.

10 AED a pint 4pm-7pm on Thursdays. That's even cheaper than back home.

And its a decent selection of pints too. Not just Carling.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 18th 2017 8:26 am

Wonderful.

Expensive enough to keep folk like you two out. :thumbsup: :lol: ;)

mission Apr 18th 2017 9:16 am

i use to go to Buddha Bar all the time (wouldn't quite say it was my local but it was a place me and my mates would go to on a regular basis) but haven't been for at least a year.... i went on Thurs night....i was well surprised to see how dead it was....that place used to be rammed.....just makes you realise Dubai isn't 'as busy' as it use to be.

ExpatAl Apr 18th 2017 9:19 am

I'll be watching this thread closely! I hope there's a decent selection in these places too, I still remember a few years ago where lagers on offer were only Fosters, Carlsberg or Stella...

Irishbeekeeper Apr 18th 2017 9:24 am

Im in Bur Dubai so.....

Made in Sheffield 1 Apr 18th 2017 9:37 am

Jebel Ali Club - Just like a WMC. Not expensive and the food's good. They've lost their pork licence though.

The Beach Bistro, Movenpick JBR - Never been a bistro in a million years but the lager's good and they have a 9 hour happy 'hour'.

Rosso, Amwaj Rotana - Not a bad happy hour and when the weather's nice it's lovely to sit outside.

Moroc, Ibn Battuta Gate - Same as above.

IKnowNothing Apr 18th 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12231400)
Im in Bur Dubai so.....

George and Dragon - I do like that bar, smallest bouncer ever, Goodfellas, Sherlock Holmes, York, TGITs, Jockeys, Imperial Suites, Seaview....

Never been to any of them of course....

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 18th 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12231393)
i use to go to Buddha Bar all the time (wouldn't quite say it was my local but it was a place me and my mates would go to on a regular basis) but haven't been for at least a year.... i went on Thurs night....i was well surprised to see how dead it was....that place used to be rammed.....just makes you realise Dubai isn't 'as busy' as it use to be.

Yet you can't go anywhere ever because the traffic is atrocious.

It's weird eh.

Bahtatboy Apr 18th 2017 2:40 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Weekday local: “Le Refuge”, typical Moroccan bar. Local Speciale bottled lager at £2 for 33ml, local plonk for £8 a bottle, good pizzas. No happy hour. Nice view overlooking the city.

Saturday local: “Ocean Vagabond”, French-run beach bar/restaurant. Similarly priced as Le Refuge, but far better quality; excellent grub, even though its French. Fantastic view, right on the beach.

Attachment 127550

Attachment 127551

Attachment 127552

Dubaiexile Apr 18th 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12231440)
George and Dragon - I do like that bar, smallest bouncer ever, Goodfellas, Sherlock Holmes, York, TGITs, Jockeys, Imperial Suites, Seaview....

Same as above, all within walking distance of each other!

flood2 Apr 18th 2017 7:30 pm

happy hour at captains arms in AD on a Friday till about 7. Pints 24AED so no too bad...

IKnowNothing Apr 18th 2017 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by flood2 (Post 12231973)
happy hour at captains arms in AD on a Friday till about 7. Pints 24AED so no too bad...

24????? Rip off, Mercure on Hamden St. 12 a pint during happy hour.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 19th 2017 5:11 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12231440)

That's basically a list of places I'd go on a crawl if we wanted to visit the dirty end of town.

dominoman Apr 19th 2017 5:51 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12232006)
24????? Rip off, Mercure on Hamden St. 12 a pint during happy hour.

That sounds good. Not tried the Mercure.

What times / days is Happy Hour there?