Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest thing you're heard recently?

What's the stupidest thing you're heard recently?

Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:28 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the stupidest thing you're heard recently?

Originally Posted by Scamp
You've just gone miles back up in my estimations.

(As long as you're aware that his fans are early teens).

That's impressively disgusting banter.
The teen bit just makes it better/worse depending on which side of the PC fence you belong...

And thank you!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:38 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Poor you - I once spent 6 weeks in Istanbul on a private equity deal (the country's first I might add). Hated the place - I've been back many times since, thankfully for shorter periods, and it's not got any better. Each time I go, I vow never to return...
Really? I'm in Istanbul at moment and love it.

Although 12 quid in the hotel for a Corona is a bit much.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by NorthernLad

A bit much?

Lord above.

The Meridien in Monte Carlo was only 11 euro's a pint.

Istanbul needs bringing down a peg.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Movenpick, or the Edition (which has a great gym)?

Alcohol is crazy expensive, the people are lying bastards and not that friendly, the women are not as attractive as they should be, the language is tough, the weather is awful and the traffic is insane. The metro is the only redeeming feature...!

As much as a cesspit Cairo is, I think I actually prefer it.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:15 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Movenpick, or the Edition (which has a great gym)?

Alcohol is crazy expensive, the people are lying bastards and not that friendly, the women are not as attractive as they should be, the language is tough, the weather is awful and the traffic is insane. The metro is the only redeeming feature...!

As much as a cesspit Cairo is, I think I actually prefer it.
Inter Continental. Traffic is very bad, but apart from that I like the place.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Istanbul needs bringing down a peg.
That's because the currency is overvalued. Don't worry Scamp - their economy is so overheated and driven by debt and construction that I'm sure it'll crash soon enough... just give it a little bit more time before you book the golfing holiday to Antalya (which is actually quite a nice place - although a bugger to get to from Dubai)
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inter Continental. Traffic is very bad, but apart from that I like the place.
Yeh, I guess it's not so bad. I did quite like walking back to the hotel when I was there for a couple of times this summer and being able to pop into restaurants etc. on the way home. I just can't stand that journey back to the airport- and the flight times to Dubai are crap.

People aren't as friendly as the Arabs though. In every meeting I have in the Arab world I laugh - that is hardly ever the case in Turkey... oh and the cheating bastards screwed us on a huge financing this year.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:35 pm
Big Member

Yeh, I guess it's not so bad. I did quite like walking back to the hotel when I was there for a couple of times this summer and being able to pop into restaurants etc. on the way home. I just can't stand that journey back to the airport- and the flight times to Dubai are crap.

People aren't as friendly as the Arabs though. In every meeting I have in the Arab world I laugh - that is hardly ever the case in Turkey... oh and the cheating bastards screwed us on a huge financing this year.
Cheating bastards I agree with, even some of my guys lie to my face and piss me off.

I like Taksim Square, being able to walk around and sit outside with a beer people-watching. And there are some mad karaoke bars.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:19 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you - I once spent 6 weeks in Istanbul on a private equity deal (the country's first I might add). Hated the place - I've been back many times since, thankfully for shorter periods, and it's not got any better. Each time I go, I vow never to return...
Not at all. I have spent some time in Istanbul, but most of it on the Turquoise Coast. Istanbul isn't Turkey in the same way London isn't the UK, or NY isn't the USA.

Much of the country is lovely, as are many of the people. I love the food and speaking a bit of the language helps too. They also have some real history, unlike here.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's big!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 7:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
. Istanbul isn't Turkey in the same way London isn't the UK, or NY isn't the USA.
Such a good point.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
Not at all. I have spent some time in Istanbul, but most of it on the Turquoise Coast. Istanbul isn't Turkey in the same way London isn't the UK, or NY isn't the USA.

Much of the country is lovely, as are many of the people. I love the food and speaking a bit of the language helps too. They also have some real history, unlike here.
I agree. Spent some quality time on the West coast near Izmir. A good few years ago though. Very cheap and hospitable people.

Highlights were the turkish baths and massages, barbers and proper shaves, sunsets, apple tea.

Lowlights were the lack of decent draught beer (drank bottles of effes for the duration) and the continuous attention to my then curly, blonde mopped cute-as-a-button 3 year old daughter.

Never returned though.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of stupidity, our dog (CeCe) has just had an operation and has to wear one of those cone things. When I left yesterday for work I left clear instructions to the maid that once CeCe had had her breakfast, that she must put the cone back on.

I got back to a very unhappy little doggie...
Attached Thumbnails What's the stupidest thing you're heard recently?-picture-115.jpg  
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Talking of stupidity, our dog (CeCe) has just had an operation and has to wear one of those cone things. When I left yesterday for work I left clear instructions to the maid that once CeCe had had her breakfast, that she must put the cone back on.

I got back to a very unhappy little doggie...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa