British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What's a proper watch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-proper-watch-889795/)

Butterich Jan 15th 2017 8:50 pm

Re: What's a proper watch?

Decent Suit, proper shoes and a somewhat expensive watch are all part of a "corporate" uniform in most white collar industries. Significance of course varies among industry and regions. Most people I know do care a lot and its part of the rules within "the circle". Others don't give a f*** and might still make it but there are at least some unwritten rules in many corporate environments.

Good entry level watches are the usual suspects: Stainless Steel Rolex preferably GMT and Submariner. Datejust and Oyster Precision also do well if a more conservative look is desired. >=5k USD you will find some options

Cheaper but certainly less desirable options could be an Omega Seamaster (the poor mans Rolex Submariner) or a decent Longines.

Most people that are really serious wear Patek Philippe - older chaps usually precious metal grande complication watches while younger folks go for stainless steel nautilus.

from 30k USD up to the sky is the limit

More flashy folks with the means (to buy above mentioned but find it boring) might wear an Audemars Piguet (usually the Royal Oak Offshore) or niche brands like Richard Mille.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 15th 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12152919)
If you want to buy a nice car just do it rather than try to justify it to yourself :lol:

Personally I find the spending on outright bling, such as some of the watches in this thread, indicates to me a lack of success or a superficial attempt to portray a successful image.
Successful enough to buy a watch, the most recent iphone by credit card or a new car on loan repayments.

I'm really trying to be sensible here with the car. I walk to work, mine is paid off, I drive it once a week, there's nothing really wrong with it...you know, the odds are stacked in the sensible shoulder-bird's favour here.

I bought my last iPhone with my credit card, banked the airmiles and paid it off, does that count?

Also - the car one. My Mrs used to poke fun at me because my car was on finance and therefore I didn't 'own' it. This was back in the UK when I earned less and let's say the car was worth £12,000. I didn't have a spare 12grand to drop on a car.
Are we meant to poke fun at people with mortgages because they've got a house on finance?

Originally Posted by CeeBee (Post 12152926)
It would get tiring and you'd come across as a right bore / nerd.

If it's recognition for badge status over form and function people want they could just as easily go and get a Karama special as the average Joe wouldn't tell the difference. You can't really do that with cars.

Good point. I had an IWC from there once. Rarely wore it because I obviously couldn't afford it in real life.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12152940)
Men with small penises

Ah the tin foil hat man speaking from experience.

Meow Jan 15th 2017 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12152919)
If you want to buy a nice car just do it rather than try to justify it to yourself :lol:

Personally I find the spending on outright bling, such as some of the watches in this thread, indicates to me a lack of success or a superficial attempt to portray a successful image.
Successful enough to buy a watch, the most recent iphone by credit card or a new car on loan repayments.

If you can't pay cash for a watch you can't afford it.

dominoman Jan 15th 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Butterich (Post 12152948)
Decent Suit, proper shoes and a somewhat expensive watch are all part of a "corporate" uniform in most white collar industries. Significance of course varies among industry and regions. Most people I know do care a lot and its part of the rules within "the circle". Others don't give a f*** and might still make it but there are at least some unwritten rules in many corporate environments.

I wear an Android watch. An LG Urbane. I like it. I guess it's not going to do anything to help me climb the corporate ladder though?

DXBtoDOH Jan 15th 2017 10:05 pm

:blink:

Originally Posted by Butterich (Post 12152948)

Good entry level watches are the usual suspects: Stainless Steel Rolex preferably GMT and Submariner. Datejust and Oyster Precision also do well if a more conservative look is desired. >=5k USD you will find some options

Cheaper but certainly less desirable options could be an Omega Seamaster (the poor mans Rolex Submariner) or a decent Longines.

Most people that are really serious wear Patek Philippe - older chaps usually precious metal grande complication watches while younger folks go for stainless steel nautilus.

from 30k USD up to the sky is the limit

More flashy folks with the means (to buy above mentioned but find it boring) might wear an Audemars Piguet (usually the Royal Oak Offshore) or niche brands like Richard Mille.

Dunno where you come from but I know plenty in professional white collar circles including finance and no one holds it against you if you don't have a fancy watch. A decent watch would be part of the 'uniform' like black spectacles in the A/E/C sector but the idea that magic circle firms or even investment houses would care about an employee not having a 30k USD watch is ludicrous.

You aren't Arab, by any chance?

Butterich Jan 15th 2017 10:18 pm

Not an Arab :-)

I didn't say its gonna be held against you but watches in many parts of the world are a requirement to "play ball" aka signaling that you are of a certain pedigree. Go have business with the (real) elite in many parts of the world including Russia, China (and pretty much all other Asian countries), Middle East (not as much but also) etc. most of those folks will a.) notice and b.) care. Like it or not that's reality - that's also why there are tons of luxury cars on the roads and why expensive wines are ordered in restaurants etc.

Of course you can wear a smart watch and still be cool and have a great career (well define great) - or be a 28 year old startup billionaire with flip flops and be taken ultra serious anyway. Its just my humble observations within the crowd I have to deal with.

As always there are exceptions to the rule - there are billionaires not wearing a watch at all giving zero f***s and show-off Lebanese rocking Audemars Piguet sitting on boxes in a rented apartment.

P.S. and yes if you know the watch models in particular you can see loads of people wearing 30k well easily 100k watches in many regions. I see a lot usually when sitting in the airplane.

DXBtoDOH Jan 15th 2017 10:37 pm

Irrelevant to 99.9999999999867% of us. So what's your point?

Originally Posted by Butterich (Post 12152983)

I didn't say its gonna be held against you but watches in many parts of the world are a requirement to "play ball" aka signaling that you are of a certain pedigree. Go have business with the (real) elite in many parts of the world including Russia, China (and pretty much all other Asian countries), Middle East (not as much but also) etc. most of those folks will a.) notice and b.) care. Like it or not that's reality - that's also why there are tons of luxury cars on the roads and why expensive wines are ordered in restaurants etc.

Of course you can wear a smart watch and still be cool and have a great career (well define great) - or be a 28 year old startup billionaire with flip flops and be taken ultra serious anyway. Its just my humble observations within the crowd I have to deal with.

As always there are exceptions to the rule - there are billionaires not wearing a watch at all giving zero f***s and show-off Lebanese rocking Audemars Piguet sitting on boxes in a rented apartment.

P.S. and yes if you know the watch models in particular you can see loads of people wearing 30k well easily 100k watches in many regions. I see a lot usually when sitting in the airplane.

Butterich Jan 15th 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12152990)
Irrelevant to 99.9999999999867% of us. So what's your point?

First of all you heavily underestimate the affluence of at least a low single digit percentage of world population. ;)

Rolex alone sells around a million watches a year add all the other luxury brands this is several million watches each and every year. Status symbols like it or not do have their demand and there certainly wouldn't be if there is no assumed benefit by consumers.

You mentioned magic circle firms and investment houses - my humble observation around the world these people usually sport some expensive watches at least at some hierarchical level. And those people including MDs and Partners usually are nowhere near the 99.9999999999867% Percentile. :huh:

You feel an expensive watch is not necessary that's fine - and yes there are still tons of people very successful without all that superficial nonsense. You are likely one of them - Congratulations.

My subjective observation though - clearly most high level white collar and above join this status symbol game for a valid reason.

Meow Jan 16th 2017 1:01 am

I can't help but think that if you judge someone simply by the watch they wear you have your priorities all wrong.

If you want to make an impression looking good helps but you don't have to spend a fortune. For men it may be shoes and watches and for women it is more shoes and bags, but many of us can spot a fake label, a Karama special. Far better to go for something of a decent quality that isn't a fancy label than a fake something, or borrow up to your eyeballs to try and fit in.

Be clean, wear decent quality clothes (label not necessary but pressed and fresh), clean your shoes, trim your nails, smile and you're half way home.

Butterich Jan 16th 2017 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12153057)
I can't help but think that if you judge someone simply by the watch they wear you have your priorities all wrong.

If you want to make an impression looking good helps but you don't have to spend a fortune. For men it may be shoes and watches and for women it is more shoes and bags, but many of us can spot a fake label, a Karama special. Far better to go for something of a decent quality that isn't a fancy label than a fake something, or borrow up to your eyeballs to try and fit in.

Be clean, wear decent quality clothes (label not necessary but pressed and fresh), clean your shoes, trim your nails, smile and you're half way home.

Nobody (smart) is gonna judge the watch alone it's always the whole appearance. Most of the truly elite timepieces are barely recognizable by probably 99% of people but that doesn't mean its useless to have one.

Plenty of people will know and recognize a Rolex, Cartier, Omega etc. as a decent quality luxury watch and this won't harm the wearer especially alongside with an overall balanced appearance.

All Karama stuff can be identified as is literally miles away if familiar with the real stuff.

For men a decent watch is probably the only wearable piece of jewelry that's why people like watches.

Pulaski Jan 16th 2017 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12153057)
..... Be clean, wear decent quality clothes (label not necessary but pressed and fresh), clean your shoes, trim your nails, smile and you're half way home.

All pretty useless without "the other half" - social graces, grammar, etiquette, and generally "having some class". Look at most top-flight football players for counter-examples - you can have all the bling in the world but everyone will still know that you're an uneducated yob. :nod:

Bahtatboy Jan 16th 2017 1:37 am

It's all pretty-much like wine. Provided you don't go rock-bottom (i.e., the wine's not shite and the watch isn't going to fall apart), then buy what you like. If that means £8 plonk from Co-op (in UK) or Aldi, and a £100 Swatch, Citizen or Casio or Seiko, be happy. And if you're not going to notice the dent in your bank balance from a £1k wine or a £10k watch, do likewise. But to do it to keep up with the Jones' means in you're in the wrong company (socially or job-wise).

Bahtatboy Jan 16th 2017 1:40 am

But shoes you can't scrimp on.

Millhouse Jan 16th 2017 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Butterich (Post 12152983)

Bullshit

Butterich Jan 16th 2017 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12153215)
Bullshit

Ok Sir I think I am wrong you convinced me :-)