British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   whats old these days? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-old-these-days-679952/)

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 7:11 pm

whats old these days?

I know age is relative, but as a kid I thought 21 was ancient. Now I don't know, as I think its all about attitude or is that a moto you adopt when you are getting old to make you feel young?

What age is old?

benzonar Aug 5th 2010 7:18 pm

Re: whats old these days?

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8755758)
I know age is relative, but as a kid I thought 21 was ancient. Now I don't know, as I think its all about attitude or is that a moto you adopt when you are getting old to make you feel young?

What age is old?

Last year I thought it was 37, but in a few days I'll be convinced that 38 is old.

hnd Aug 5th 2010 9:22 pm

Got married aged 20 - parents were 42 and 44 - and thought they were old, very old. Am still married (to the same guy lucky me) nearly 35 years later and don't feel as old as my parents look in our wedding photos.

On a serious note, think it's something to do with societal advancement, especially after WW2. Better nutrition, education, whatever etc, and the ability to travel to further the careers of those who were more adventurous.

So, do I feel old? No - still looking for more adventures ... but we're fortunate in that we have no children (others may view that differently) so we can choose to live as we wish, wherever we wish and we're also fortunate to have the means to do so, not in a lavish lifestyle way, but in one which we're comfortable.

I guess that, as a couple, we've always been members of the 'glass half full' club:)

aPerfectCircle Aug 5th 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8755758)

What age is old?

mmm, I don't really know at what age I should call myself old. But I know that as long as I am not through with my bucket list then there is still some land to cover.

And maybe when I start growing some white hair :(

Umbrella Aug 6th 2010 3:16 am

3 Attachment(s)
McDonald? E I E I O...

U

kittycat1 Aug 6th 2010 5:13 am

Great film that Cirlce- I blubbed! and Im not a Jack Nicholson fan generally.

SO whats on your bucket list?

aPerfectCircle Aug 6th 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8756693)
Great film that Cirlce- I blubbed! and Im not a Jack Nicholson fan generally.

SO whats on your bucket list?

Thats a very long list to tell you what's on it, but I'll tell you the most recent thing I've done from the list. That was shark cage diving in Cape Town last month

Tockalosh Aug 7th 2010 12:00 pm

Charismatic Aug 7th 2010 12:24 pm

I define “old” as when you stop being creative, interested in learning, taking risks and going places. You are only old when you turn your back on new :D.

Bahtatboy Aug 8th 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8759370)
I define “old” as when you stop being creative, interested in learning, taking risks and going places. You are only old when you turn your back on new :D.

Wot he said.

My mother is permanently in the past: nothing new ever happens, nor will she let it. Everything new (be it experience, places, technology or risks) is "unnecessary", and that attidue (plus the Daily Malelovant) just compounds her misery. I don't see a solution, although as she says herself, maybe nature will resolve it for her.

I try to do something new every year. In the past 10 years I've:
* learnt to juggle
* learnt (and forgotten) Italian
* visited about a dozen new places
* stayed in a youth hostel
* adopted a cat
* learnt to appreciate gin
* seen the Rolling Stones
* started gardening (help)
* decided to enjoy my midlife crisis

Ok, nothing huge...but each was an extension to what I'd done before.

Next on the list is to learn Mandarin. I just don't know who I could practice on.

Millhouse Aug 8th 2010 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8761100)
Next on the list is to learn Mandarin. I just don't know who I could practice on.

I'm sure that you could find an outlet for your Mandarin in Abu Dhabi...

Although, they are now restricting numbers of native Mandarin speakers in the Ally Pally...Only 8 allowed in last night.

lullabelle Aug 8th 2010 12:31 pm

My other half.

Is it wrong to have completely lied to the kids about our ages for a laugh? I can't tell you how much it tickles me to hear my boy saying "mummy's 25 and daddy's 58"

Especially since he looks younger than me... despite being really two years older. I'll never forget the midwife showing surprise and saying that she'd thought he was my toy boy. I bitched long and hard about how he hadn't just gone through a three day labour, emergency c section, lost tons of blood and then had to wake up every few hours to feed "the baby who needed no sleep"

cow.

lionheart Aug 8th 2010 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 8761176)
My other half. Is it wrong to have completely lied to the kids about our ages for a laugh? I can't tell you how much it tickles me to hear my boy saying "mummy's 25 and daddy's 58" Especially since he looks younger than me... despite being really two years older...

Qu'est-ce que c'est que ca?:blink: