British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What's the most... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/whats-most-722098/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 23rd 2011 7:02 am

What's the most...

...random / stupid last minute thing you've done?

In my (relatively) short life it's got to be the Berlin World Cup final trip.

Four of us, 17-18 (I was 18...feel old?) were at the pub in a bigger group and decided to drive to Berlin.

Literally 3 or 4 day's later we were on our way to Dover, ferry booked with no idea of where we were going, my directions were; Land a Dunkirk, swing a left, past Antwerp(ish) and straight to Berlin...

It was the best 5 days I can remember. The car broke down in the Dussedorf area, we got very very lost, we had no 4th gear for about 150 miles, i slept in a tent in a layby on the motorway and the car finally packed up after a day's traffic jam in a place called Braunshweig (sp). We luckily ended up in a hotel where the generous, kind and sympathetic German family owners took us to get the car fixed, I had to borrow 300 quid off my Dad to pay for my mates new gear box for the privilege...

The family rented a car for us to get to the final the next day and that day will be one I'll always remember. Some of the most fun I've ever had in a crowd of a million people on the 'fan mile' and the drunked 2hr drive home (one lad didn't drink, so he drove).

We then bolted back to Dunkirk and just made our ferry. None of us had more than 50 quid for the trip and we lived solely on pringles.

Most of you have a bit more 'life' experience than me, so what's the most stupid shit you've done?

Autonomy Jun 23rd 2011 9:02 am

Re: What's the most...

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9451285)
Most of you have a bit more 'life' experience than me, so what's the most stupid shit you've done?

Move to Dubai in 2004 with 2 bags, some cash and no jobs.... I'm still here....

jackthehat Jun 23rd 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9451512)
Move to Dubai in 2004 with 2 bags, some cash and no jobs.... I'm still here....

Visiting Dubai in 1996 for a two week Holiday Cover assignment. The guy did not come back! - I'm Still here!

Norm_uk Jun 23rd 2011 9:40 am

Stupidest thing I ever did...not saying but it involved a woman and is now a distant but pleasant regret :)

N.

shiva Jun 23rd 2011 1:07 pm

Too many to count but highlights include

Walking out of almost every job I've ever had. **** your notice period your an idiot and I quit....I'm not a good employee but do fine as my own boss

Jumped out of a fir tree for a bet, that one hurt and no the brnches don't slow you down....not even slightly

Same as auto re Dubai, suitcase and some gumption was all i arrived with there are days however i really regret that one

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9451626)
Stupidest thing I ever did...not saying but it involved a woman and is now a distant but pleasant regret :)

N.

Just for the record, is she still alive? :blink:

flares Jun 23rd 2011 1:19 pm

Being mauled by a bull on my stag in Cascais - they're bloody quick and this one picked on the Englander instead of the Portugeezers. Ended up with a bruise that covered the whole of my inner thigh but crown jewels intact (just).

al dente Jun 23rd 2011 3:23 pm

Woke up from a party, on a living room floor, thought bugger this, drove to LHR bought a ticket to Dublin and surprised my sort of boyfriend. Had no money, had a blast, missed flight home and when i got home didn't have enough money to pay the parking so my bezzie had to leave work, get train to me, pay for my car and then give me a place to hide until the party enhancers had worn off. Hmm I might have been a feckless youth.

*this was many, many years ago and i would never drive with even a glass of alcohol in my system now and wouldn't recognise an enhancer in the unlikely event that one would cross my path again..

Alexa Jun 23rd 2011 3:42 pm

Woke up one morning, was bored with my life, booked a ticket to the US (note, I had never been abroad before) , stayed there for 1 year, had a blast...and have been an expat with 12 countries under my belt by now. Great life! :)

Millhouse Jun 23rd 2011 3:49 pm

Christ, you lot are actually interesting people.

I'm trying to think through my dull accountant life. I think I took the metro in the wrong direction once by accident.

Autonomy Jun 23rd 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9452530)
Woke up from a party, on a living room floor, thought bugger this, drove to LHR bought a ticket to Dublin and surprised my sort of boyfriend. Had no money, had a blast, missed flight home and when i got home didn't have enough money to pay the parking so my bezzie had to leave work, get train to me, pay for my car and then give me a place to hide until the party enhancers had worn off. Hmm I might have been a feckless youth.

*this was many, many years ago and i would never drive with even a glass of alcohol in my system now and wouldn't recognise an enhancer in the unlikely event that one would cross my path again..

party enhancers - heh in 12 years of working in dance music I've never heard such things called that... I like that.

Not going there with *those* stories, that's for sure....

al dente Jun 23rd 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9452724)
party enhancers - heh in 12 years of working in dance music I've never heard such things called that... I like that.

Not going there with *those* stories, that's for sure....

I made the expression up today! No *those* stories don't come out. Not that i remember too much of them..

Patsy Stoned Jun 24th 2011 6:22 am

Went to Spain to see my parents for a week and got a phone call from a friend asking if I would like to open a nightclub in Ibiza with them..........Flew home the next day, repacked a suitcase and flew to Ibiza..stayed there for 5 years and have been an expat ever since :D

al dente Jun 24th 2011 6:57 am

We used to award 'spono' points out of 10 for these types of things. Patsy, i reckon you earned 9 (out of 10) with that.

Patsy Stoned Jun 24th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 9454006)
We used to award 'spono' points out of 10 for these types of things. Patsy, i reckon you earned 9 (out of 10) with that.

Thank you darling :wub: