Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What's for lunch today?

What's for lunch today?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What's for lunch today?

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
A little bit of reading for you darling
It is recommended that adults consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. This is equivalent to about 6 g or 1 teaspoon of salt.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/scie...arange4648.cfm

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-7964244.html
Interesting, I will read some of this. I try not to use salt much at all.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But the Govt knows that 5-a-day is nonsense. They were going to go with 9, but considered that that would mean most people wouldn't take it seriously. That in spite of the fact that actually the recommendation is 11-15. On top of that, it should be primarily veg, not fructose-laden fruit. Or noodles...
Is it realistic to have 15 portions of fruit/veg a day. Understanding and agreeing with you that veg is of course better.

That means;

Apple (1) and Banana (2) with brekkie

Chicken Salad (3), Carrot sticks (4), Banana (5) for Lunch

Then you're left trying to cram 10 servings of veg on your plate for dinner.

Maybe Broc, Cauli, Carrots, Potato, Sprouts, Beans (runner), Parsnips, Swede, Asparagus and Cabbage.

You'd be farting like a monster.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The mere fact of your diet means that your sodium intake is too high darling xxx
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The mere fact of your diet means that your sodium intake is too high darling xxx
FRUIT.SALAD.

I had a fruit salad yesterday Patsy, I think I deserve some slack here...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Is it realistic to have 15 portions of fruit/veg a day. Understanding and agreeing with you that veg is of course better.

That means;

Maybe Broc, Cauli, Carrots, Potato, Sprouts, Beans (runner), Parsnips, Swede, Asparagus and Cabbage.

The 11-to-15 guideline is items not portions
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit of reading for you darling
It is recommended that adults consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium per day. This is equivalent to about 6 g or 1 teaspoon of salt.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/scie...arange4648.cfm

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-7964244.html

Isn't that in the UK though? if you're in the heat and sweating, surely you need a bit more?

I don't use much salt, but don't worry about it anyway as I have low blood pressure.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
The 11-to-15 guideline is items not portions
Hang about, I thought it was portions?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they mean 15 peas though...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

That means;

Using this as a guideline - http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Doc...tion_guide.pdf - i think its pretty easy to get the 11-15 items in a day (especially if you cook from scratch)
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Using this as a guideline - http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Doc...tion_guide.pdf - i think its pretty easy to get the 11-15 items in a day (especially if you cook from scratch)
Cauliflower
8 florets

That's half a plateful!

Cheers for the link though.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:26 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Cauliflower
8 florets

That's half a plateful!

Cheers for the link though.
Cauliflower can only be eaten with cheese. Is it still good for you then?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Isn't that in the UK though? if you're in the heat and sweating, surely you need a bit more?

I don't use much salt, but don't worry about it anyway as I have low blood pressure.
Scamp doesn't sweat...he goes from a/c apartment to a/c car to a/c office to a/c bar darling!!!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat 15 portions of anything in a whole day..........
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Cauliflower can only be eaten with cheese. Is it still good for you then?
No. Tastes like aspirin.

Scamp doesn't sweat...he goes from a/c apartment to a/c car to a/c office to a/c bar darling!!!
Good call. I will be sweating at the 7's this weekend though. Fancy dress time.

Originally Posted by The Dean
I don't eat 15 portions of anything in a whole day..........
I do.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good diet for Englishmen who like their food:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes[]=p00vq8c6

ETA: Link is not working. It is the 'Hairy Dieters'.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Good call. I will be sweating at the 7's this weekend though. Fancy dress time.
What are you going as??
Mind you, they are forecasting rain!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.