Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats everyone doing for Christmas?

It's only because you grew up with Christmas in the cold and have seen too many pictures of cosy Christmas scenes. For many people it has always been normal to have a hot & sunny Christmas.

Whatever makes you happy though.

-
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It's only because you grew up with Christmas in the cold and have seen too many pictures of cosy Christmas scenes. For many people it has always been normal to have a hot & sunny Christmas.

Whatever makes you happy though.

-
not at all, i grew up with xmas in abu dhabi
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
not at all, i grew up with xmas in abu dhabi
Well in that case you have been convinced by all those cosy Christmas pictures.

That and a certain fondness for thermal underwear....

-
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Well in that case you have been convinced by all those cosy Christmas pictures.

That and a certain fondness for thermal underwear....

-
lol, no its a fondness for getting cold and then warming up in front of the fire with a wee dram
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Last Christmas in Dubai was probably the coldest Christmas I've ever had (my grandparents place south Western Australia as a kid may have been colder).

We'll have a family lunch here and then maybe out to Global Village again like last Christmas night - the kids can have some rides and spend their Christmas money on all types of costumes and junk. I love having quiet christmas's away from extended family that you feel obliged to spend time with.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Oh God I'm a Christmas orphan- that sounds so sad- sob sob sob...
I can't believe that no-one has ponied up an invite yet for little orphan annie....

Come on you old scrooges - I'm sure it's the season of goodwill to women as well as men!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spugsy
nothing in the world bears a cold, snowy christmas day.

I spent one xmas on Bondi Beach and it was fun, but shite compared to xmas back home.
But Christmas is all about beach cricket, surfing, beer and BBQ's...you Northern Hemisphere folks have got it all wrong.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I can't believe that no-one has ponied up an invite yet for little orphan annie....

Come on you old scrooges - I'm sure it's the season of goodwill to women as well as men!
She would be bored shiteless at my house - my kids would talk her ear off and want her to play wii fit or something all day - and they're allowed chocolate and lollies before breakfast so are on a sugar high all day. Isn't there an orphans party here? YHA's usually organise them for backpackers and stuff. Maybe kittycat should contact the hostel in Jumeirah to ask they know anything about one.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK Christmas in the snow thing is a mirage tho isn't it ? We've had three Christmases in UK in 15 years (admittedly two of them were in October and July so maybe they don't count) and it didn't snow it was just bloody cold and rainy.

I love the heat and the sun, Christmas Day in the middle of the desert with a full turkey buffet, Christmas Tree, Christmas Carols on the CD player and a big bonfire when it gets dark - can't beat it.

N
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I flew back to UK 20th December 1977 to get married and I think I've spent every Christmas somewhere in the Middle East since!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nic1
The UK Christmas in the snow thing is a mirage tho isn't it ? We've had three Christmases in UK in 15 years (admittedly two of them were in October and July so maybe they don't count) and it didn't snow it was just bloody cold and rainy.

I love the heat and the sun, Christmas Day in the middle of the desert with a full turkey buffet, Christmas Tree, Christmas Carols on the CD player and a big bonfire when it gets dark - can't beat it.

N

where's this full turkey buffet?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:05 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Well my English collegue has decided today he is going home for christmas and leaving me on my lonesome,I just checked some flights out for Dahab,Egypt for new year (180 quid)as I can't be alone then,so meeting up with my cousin and friends,so if you want some company christmas day give me a shout.
Otherwise its a bottle of vino on me tod during the day and then gatecrashing somewhere evening time.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even remember the last time it was a white Christmas in the UK??
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:08 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by glynster
Well my English collegue has decided today he is going home for christmas and leaving me on my lonesome,I just checked some flights out for Dahab,Egypt for new year (180 quid)as I can't be alone then,so meeting up with my cousin and friends,so if you want some company christmas day give me a shout.
Otherwise its a bottle of vino on me tod during the day and then gatecrashing somewhere evening time.

Are you saying that you only have one friend in the UAE?

-
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glynster- and anyone else facing Chrimbo on their tod maybe we could arrange a Christmas orphans drinks and lunch somewhere, we can all feel sorry for ourselves and maybe meet some nice new people at the same time. If anyone else is interested post on here and we can arrange something so we dont all hang ourselves at home. we could even do a secret santa- which would be especially secret as none of us know each other but would at least give us all one little present to open.

shout if interested ( I'm not odd at all)

xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.