Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing you've done....

What's the best thing you've done....

Old May 20th 2013, 10:02 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best thing you've done....

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Fair play to you mate. I spent a long time racing in motorcycle enduro events similar to the FIA rallies (only with less sand!) and the guys who run the events don't get enough praise for what they do, and frequently get a ton of abuse or complaints.
Over some pretty inaccessible places its a massive feat of co-ordination and planning to get it to work.
thanks. yup we're quite lucky here as the level its at most of the competitors say thanks to us. helps when you've sent a helicopter to rescue their dumb ass mind!

if you used to ride you should check out the desert challenge. this year we had pretty much the top ten global riders.

Old May 20th 2013, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Supported our Chairman through a quite horrific board coup whilst working at the Olympics.
what support did you offer?
Old May 20th 2013, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
what support did you offer?
I kept the team together as a cohesive unit (not easy, in the circumstances), I stood up to the government, refused to bail and ensured that the papers were not privy to what was going on.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:20 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I kept the team together as a cohesive unit (not easy, in the circumstances), I stood up to the government, refused to bail and ensured that the papers were not privy to what was going on.
You worked for G4S.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
You worked for G4S.
No, I worked for the ODA.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:44 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

No, I worked for the ODA.
Whoosh!
Old May 20th 2013, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikewot
Whoosh!
Huh?!?
Old May 20th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
There's nothing wrong in being proud of achieving something you miserable shit.
But why would you want to tell complete strangers about it, you self-centred twat?
Old May 20th 2013, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
But why would you want to tell complete strangers about it, you self-centred twat?
Some, in fact quite a few, of the people on here aren't complete strangers. I've been fortunate enough to meet a lot of them.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:29 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
If you used to ride you should check out the desert challenge. this year we had pretty much the top ten global riders.
Still ride local club events and the very odd national event when I get a chance but I would love to check out the desert stuff. Schedule permitting it will happen soon, also I wish they would bring the Dakar back to Africa. I would love to either do it or support some one doing it.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Why on earth would anyone ever want to be positive about anything? Why think of happy things, or events that made you feel good when you can be a miserly curmudgeon all the time and suck the joy out of the world.

Mental one - you're an expat Dementor, aren't you?
Old May 20th 2013, 11:42 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbo
It all depends on the context. In an interview situation I would spout off about working on massive projects and training people up, etc.
However, in reality, for me at least, work is not very important, it is something that I do to earn money, have a life..
I am with you on that, I work professionally during my office hours but I really couldn't give a **** outside of that.
It sometimes hurts me in terms of advancement if I am not a typical red faced, stressed out panic merchant but the good guys I think (I hope) recognise results rather than bluster.
Old May 20th 2013, 11:46 am