Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

whatever happened to...

whatever happened to...

Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whatever happened to...

not wishing to spoil the moment but I certently disapprove of those B'day, xmas and thank you cards: they r just a bloody waste of paper and r just a result of capitalism. I was brought up in Italy where we dont have such traditions and I dont think I am a less polite person than any other who was taught to write thank you cards. And tbh a lot of the "thank you and please" we ear are said with no meaning. If you went to Italy you would probably think: what a buch or rude people, but actually if you ever have a problem, strangers do go out of their way to help you...thats what really counts.
This morning I was about to get on the bus in Oxford with my 19months and 4months old sons- it was pooring down with rain- the bus driver refused to take my five pound note because he refused to give me £2.50 change_ and this is common practice here in Oxford. If I am in a public place and my son cryes I feel all the eyes of people on me as to say: what the bloody hell r you doing here, take your screeming child away.....but then they are very quick at using their thank you......
I guess that what Im trying to say is that sometimes actions are more meaningful than words...

btw I am not intending to upset any brits, I do have a lot of respect for you guys.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:29 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yes it would totally...except when it's the mum doing it...that's a cop out for the kids..

MM, xx
I agree - I meant a thank you direct from the receiver in whatever form is most personal to them, even if it's a text saying "thnx so much!!!"

Filling in the gaps on a pre-printed pad isn't a thank you imo... it says nothing apart from "my mum has told me I need to do this"

Also, I don't think "learning manners" or being polite should be a chore, it should be spontaneous and pleasurable.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to thank you all...really
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I'd like to thank you all...really
ohhh...nice to see you was brought up proper...

MM, xx
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:32 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alitrist
not wishing to spoil the moment but I certently disapprove of those B'day, xmas and thank you cards: they r just a bloody waste of paper and r just a result of capitalism. I was brought up in Italy where we dont have such traditions and I dont think I am a less polite person than any other who was taught to write thank you cards. And tbh a lot of the "thank you and please" we ear are said with no meaning. If you went to Italy you would probably think: what a buch or rude people, but actually if you ever have a problem, strangers do go out of their way to help you...thats what really counts.
This morning I was about to get on the bus in Oxford with my 19months and 4months old sons- it was pooring down with rain- the bus driver refused to take my five pound note because he refused to give me £2.50 change_ and this is common practice here in Oxford. If I am in a public place and my son cryes I feel all the eyes of people on me as to say: what the bloody hell r you doing here, take your screeming child away.....but then they are very quick at using their thank you......
I guess that what Im trying to say is that sometimes actions are more meaningful than words...

btw I am not intending to upset any brits, I do have a lot of respect for you guys.
same in Holland...we're not really bothered with the whole thank you, please and excuse me culture...but I don't think that makes 'us' rude as such...just different...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:32 pm
hmmmm...nice

ohhh...nice to see you was brought up proper...

MM, xx
you've not read my next post...
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

you've not read my next post...
oh lol...you ignorant cow...

MM, xx
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:36 pm
hmmmm...nice

oh lol...you ignorant cow...

MM, xx
I know...I like blaming my Dutch roots when it suits me
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know...I like blaming my Dutch roots when it suits me
bleedin dutch and italians...pah...

MM, xx
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

the lack of manners in locals here really gets on my nerves
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you notes and all that was pretty common among my sister and her friends when they were at school and university and afterwards sharing cramped flats in London. Whenever a gaggle of girls came around the house for a weekend or dinner in due time M would get a bunch of thank you notes. I even sent a few myself after spending a weekend at a friend's parents place at the prodding of M (and this reminds me of the time I accidentally slipped 20 quid along with the note when I slipped it into the post box).

I don't think the lack of notes is indicative of poor manners. Saying thank you for a great dinner or weekend when you leave is fine. The notes are cultural more than mannerism.

But it's a tradition that is dying out. There's a big cultural gap between people my sister's generation who came of age in the mid 1990s and those coming of age today. I blame it on New Labour.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:49 am