British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What are your targets? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-your-targets-808156/)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 8:56 am

What are your targets?

Bahtat just inspired me to think more about the targets I've got and not got, or ones I've got but not properly set.

What are you working towards? What are you wanting to achieve in the next few years?

At the moment all I've got on my list to accomplish is the following:

- Revenue target I've set myself for the calendar year (127% of company set target). Should just about do it. Dec 2013
- Get promoted. Just ****ing missed this. Unfairly too. New target agreed with boss and working towards it. Target is to be achieved by December. Working bollocks off for this and the first one combined, will be worth a good pay rise so it's top priority. Dec 2013
- Clear final UK idiot debt. ****ING DONE IT THIS MONTH. BOOM...well, 30 quid short but that was a mistake on the transfer from me. Will be gone end of month.

The more fluid:

- Still want to do a degree / qualification, juggling time and cost demands of doing it are putting me off. Mainly the cost.
- Work out what I need to buy a house in the UK. Work out how to get that. Stick to that savings plan. Establish a savings account that will take my money regularly and not let me get at it too easily.
- Marry the Mrs. Not yet, not for at least 3-4 years more. But I'd like to be there around the 30 mark. Mustn't **** it up.

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 9:00 am

Re: What are your targets?

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884889)
Bahtat just inspired me to think more about the targets I've got and not got, or ones I've got but not properly set.

What are you working towards? What are you wanting to achieve in the next few years?

At the moment all I've got on my list to accomplish is the following:

- Revenue target I've set myself for the calendar year (127% of company set target). Should just about do it. Dec 2013
- Get promoted. Just ****ing missed this. Unfairly too. New target agreed with boss and working towards it. Target is to be achieved by December. Working bollocks off for this and the first one combined, will be worth a good pay rise so it's top priority. Dec 2013
- Clear final UK idiot debt. ****ING DONE IT THIS MONTH. BOOM...well, 30 quid short but that was a mistake on the transfer from me. Will be gone end of month.

The more fluid:

- Still want to do a degree / qualification, juggling time and cost demands of doing it are putting me off. Mainly the cost.
- Work out what I need to buy a house in the UK. Work out how to get that. Stick to that savings plan. Establish a savings account that will take my money regularly and not let me get at it too easily.
- Marry the Mrs. Not yet, not for at least 3-4 years more. But I'd like to be there around the 30 mark. Mustn't **** it up.

Could you not get your company to support you with your degree?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10884895)
Could you not get your company to support you with your degree?

They sort of said maybe, but sort of said look into it and let us know, but sort of weren't interested and sort of didn't give a ****.

Let's face it, it's purely selfish....what would a degree in let's say, Economics, or History, or Politics, or something else have any benefit to doing recruitment?

Not a bad shout, maybe there's a compromise. CIPD or something like that. Maybe a HR degree, but that just sounds ****ing bent.

You've made me think again.... Thanks mate.

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884899)
They sort of said maybe, but sort of said look into it and let us know, but sort of weren't interested and sort of didn't give a ****.

Let's face it, it's purely selfish....what would a degree in let's say, Economics, or History, or Politics, or something else have any benefit to doing recruitment?

Not a bad shout, maybe there's a compromise. CIPD or something like that. Maybe a HR degree, but that just sounds ****ing bent.

You've made me think again.... Thanks mate.

I want to do a masters and they said they would fund it as long as it benefited them which is fair enough really.

What would you be looking at a degree in?

Brains1983 Sep 4th 2013 9:15 am

Enough cash to put my kids through Uni (if that's the route they choose - if not Pappa Brains is getting a speedboat)

Buy property for rental in UK.
Buy property to live in when we move to OZ.

Keep wife happy.

Stop smoking.

Obtain MsC.

Take over the world.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 9:16 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10884907)
I want to do a masters and they said they would fund it as long as it benefited them which is fair enough really.

What would you be looking at a degree in?

That's decent then. I guess they'll adapt your contract to commit you to refunding them if you leave within x years or something...

If I wanted to do one for enjoyment it'd be Economics or Business or Politics or History related, because I like all those.

If it was for 'career' I guess the only real relevance would be a Business + Something degree or maybe HR type.

I am looking now at the option of working towards CIPD, which is quite HR focused and requires some pretty basic qualifications, but would let me put letters after my name. That'd be nice. Probably get some credit towards a degree at a later date.

Still, this is pie in the sky, I've been banging on about this on the forum for ages and done **** all about it.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10884912)
Enough cash to put my kids through Uni (if that's the route they choose - if not Pappa Brains is getting a speedboat)

Buy property for rental in UK.
Buy property to live in when we move to OZ.

Keep wife happy.

Stop smoking.

Obtain MsC.

Take over the world.

Bugger, forgot that one.

Speedboat is the infinitely better idea Brains, you know it, I know it, they'll understand it. If you have boys (I can't remember, sorry,) they'll get so much more fanny in their teens inviting birds onto 'Dad's boat'. FACT.

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884918)
That's decent then. I guess they'll adapt your contract to commit you to refunding them if you leave within x years or something...

If I wanted to do one for enjoyment it'd be Economics or Business or Politics or History related, because I like all those.

If it was for 'career' I guess the only real relevance would be a Business + Something degree or maybe HR type.

I am looking now at the option of working towards CIPD, which is quite HR focused and requires some pretty basic qualifications, but would let me put letters after my name. That'd be nice. Probably get some credit towards a degree at a later date.

Still, this is pie in the sky, I've been banging on about this on the forum for ages and done **** all about it.

Yeah they have said if I leave after 2 years of completing then I owe it them back. Can't really ask for much more if I am being honest.

I would like to do a degree in something like history myself as it would be interesting but wouldn't really help my career in any way.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10884923)
Yeah they have said if I leave after 2 years of completing then I owe it them back. Can't really ask for much more if I am being honest.

I would like to do a degree in something like history myself as it would be interesting but wouldn't really help my career in any way.

Fair enough from them, they're investing in you to help them in the long run.

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 9:23 am

Short Term;

- Start my Masters.
- Become Debt free in the UK by April 2014. (not including student fees)
- Explore different parts of the world.
- Promotion at work.

Long Term

- Enough to buy a house in the UK.
- Move to somewhere else other than the Middle East or the UK. Preferably Oz.
- Keep the wife happy.

kittycat1 Sep 4th 2013 9:41 am

Financially, buy two small buy to let properties as investments, the rental income will go straight into investment pot where I will buy a 3rd and 4th aiming for when I retire I would have an income of 2500 coming in from rental properties with a value of 400K so I can retire at 65 with an income to live off and several properties that I can sell of 1 by o1 as I need the cash. Have a deposit for my own property so I can be mortgage free by 65. When I have those things Iwill be ready to leave Dubai.

Leave Dubai- head either to States shortterm or UK, If I go to the States I would look at working a rather well known brand, if the Uk I may well go back to freelancing. Option of starting my own company as I have some investors interested when I am ready but I am not sure if that is what I want to do at the moment.If i do then start big company make lots of money, sell company for more money, or go back to freelancing for a few years, then have a complete change and work in animal conservation and also some charity work for under privelidged kids. Do a bit more writing on the side, might pop out a couple of books.

Stop smoking, loose weight and make a bit more time for myself. Maybe settle down if I meet the right man, get married, have a dog and a cat, I always liked the idea of being a foster carer but my lifestyle currently doesn't work for that, so when I can slow down I would absolutely look at that. I would like to run the London marathon even just once, and even if it takes me 42 days.

Travel more, still loads of places I would like to see.

Retirement, still unsure of where I would retire, the more places I travel to the harder it is to decide, I always loved Ireland, by the sea in Kerry. or go somewhere sunny, I can't imagine not working so I would still do something until I am at the point I can't or don't want to anymore. Might just become an old cat lady.

I have a few options of which all are nice so I consider myself very lucky, obviously you never know what is around the corner and it could all go horribly wrong, but who knows, I feel pretty positive about the future and that I have choices and choices are always good.

al dente Sep 4th 2013 9:50 am

Short term:
Not kill my husband for not doing something he promised to do and then not apologising
Get an ITF tennis ranking
Work to deadline and keep my children happy
Hold a fund raiser for Babies Behind Bars

Mid term:
Expand career and network, build on the 3 days a week currently.
Do a qual
Help my children develop a love of school and sport.
Stop smoking

Long term:
Set up my own company and employ others to do the boring stuff

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10884964)
Short term:
Not kill my husband for not doing something he promised to do and then not apologising
Get an ITF tennis ranking
Work to deadline and keep my children happy
Hold a fund raiser for Babies Behind Bars

Mid term:
Expand career and network, build on the 3 days a week currently.
Do a qual
Help my children develop a love of school and sport.
Stop smoking

Long term:
Set up my own company and employ others to do the boring stuff

Come on, what did he do?

Tennis ranking? As in a proper pro ranking or is it like getting a handicap in golf?

Irishbeekeeper Sep 4th 2013 10:00 am

1. take care of parents when they get old
2. take care of kids till they are older and wiser and hopefully well educated
3. buy a small house with a huge garden with lots and lots of trees, maybe even a pond. the house needs to be far far away from any roads and other human beings as I think I will start to hate human beings as I get older :D

jam25mack Sep 4th 2013 10:04 am

Short

* Get my CGeol..... been fannying about with this for ages...
* Get promoted again after the above
* Sort all my debts etc out
* Stop smoking
* Get fitter

Long

* Get my Yachtmaster
* Change careers to something more exciting
* Buy some property somewhere snowy... Colorado maybe.
* Retire early

Long long

* Get caught up in a major international scandal

Long long long

* Die happy but in an absolutely trashed carcass!

jam25mack Sep 4th 2013 10:04 am

Short

* Stop smoking
* Get fitter

Long

* Get my Yachtmaster
* Retire early

Long long

Long long long

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10884997)
Short

* Stop smoking
* Get fitter

Long

* Get my Yachtmaster
* Retire early

Long long

Long long long

Do you work in Geology Jam?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10884996)
Short

* Stop smoking
* Get fitter

Long

* Get my Yachtmaster
* Retire early

Long long

Long long long

You can get your Yachtmaster in a week if you have some of the basic stuff, my sister did it, it was intense and lumpy on the wallet but worth the time. Although, I think it was in Wales.....

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10885003)
You can get your Yachtmaster in a week if you have some of the basic stuff, my sister did it, it was intense and lumpy on the wallet but worth the time. Although, I think it was in Wales.....

I looked into doing it out here but was very pricey. Something I will look at again in 2-3 years time I think.

al dente Sep 4th 2013 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884974)
Come on, what did he do?

Tennis ranking? As in a proper pro ranking or is it like getting a handicap in golf?

It's a ranking among seniors, a world ranking though! I'm not that good but managed to scrape into qualifying for trying..

He failed to book the holiday accom for a trip to the UK that I didn't want to go on and there is none left in the area and flights are booked, also my bro has booked flights to come too. Nothing remotely interesting but the sort of thing that makes spouses stabby.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 10:17 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10885005)
I looked into doing it out here but was very pricey. Something I will look at again in 2-3 years time I think.

She was all over it and loved it, but spent a good few thousand to do it in the week long course. Said it was intense and full of absolute helmets but worth the cash money.

jam25mack Sep 4th 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10885002)
Do you work in Geology Jam?

Sure do. I'm a Senior Engineering Geologist.

jam25mack Sep 4th 2013 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10885003)

Was that the theory as well as the practical?

I agree that you could do the theory but the practical requires a certain amount of hours.

I have nothing at the moment (no practical crew or day skipper) even though I have sailed and raced since I was a teenager. Should really just step up and do it.

Sailing is a silly expensive hobby tho.

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10885023)
Sure do. I'm a Senior Engineering Geologist.

Geology has always interested me, especially when you team it up with Engineering!

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10885018)
She was all over it and loved it, but spent a good few thousand to do it in the week long course. Said it was intense and full of absolute helmets but worth the cash money.

Does she ever use it though?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 10:41 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10885009)
It's a ranking among seniors, a world ranking though! I'm not that good but managed to scrape into qualifying for trying..

He failed to book the holiday accom for a trip to the UK that I didn't want to go on and there is none left in the area and flights are booked, also my bro has booked flights to come too. Nothing remotely interesting but the sort of thing that makes spouses stabby.

That's pretty poor from him, but everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure he'll make up for it.

Ranking sounds epic. Definitely do that. That's awesome.:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10885028)
Was that the theory as well as the practical?

I agree that you could do the theory but the practical requires a certain amount of hours.

I have nothing at the moment (no practical crew or day skipper) even though I have sailed and raced since I was a teenager. Should really just step up and do it.

Sailing is a silly expensive hobby tho.

I think she had to have x hours (x00 I think) under her belt already as there was only going to be x hours completed on the course itself.

To be honest, I can't really remember, I just know that Dad was splitting the cost with Mum but ended up paying more and it all kicked off and wasn't worth the aggro as far as I was concerned.

I've got competent crew, was on holiday doing day skipper but they wouldn't let me do it properly because I was 15, which was weird but some bullshit excuse not to let me play boats I reckon.

Sailing is one of my favourite things to do, I really should look into it out here...problem is I can't stand the yachties and the bollocks that falls out their gobs.

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10885037)
Does she ever use it though?

She did, for a bit and was a mad keen sailor....but not sure she uses it at all anymore. More into scuba diving now.

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10885047)
That's pretty poor from him, but everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure he'll make up for it.

Ranking sounds epic. Definitely do that. That's awesome.:thumbsup:

I think she had to have x hours (x00 I think) under her belt already as there was only going to be x hours completed on the course itself.

To be honest, I can't really remember, I just know that Dad was splitting the cost with Mum but ended up paying more and it all kicked off and wasn't worth the aggro as far as I was concerned.

I've got competent crew, was on holiday doing day skipper but they wouldn't let me do it properly because I was 15, which was weird but some bullshit excuse not to let me play boats I reckon.

Sailing is one of my favourite things to do, I really should look into it out here...problem is I can't stand the yachties and the bollocks that falls out their gobs.

She did, for a bit and was a mad keen sailor....but not sure she uses it at all anymore. More into scuba diving now.

I did sailing as a kid and loved it but there was nowhere that close where I could do it as a kid.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 10:48 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10885050)
I did sailing as a kid and loved it but there was nowhere that close where I could do it as a kid.

That's the thing, it's hard and expensive to get into unless it's on your doorstep.

My school had a sailing club which was cool, just in dinghies on a big lake racing and learning.

On top of that Dad's got a yacht so we'd go out every weekend in Summer and occasionally when colder, but we were / are proper fair weather sailors. **** the cold and blowy stuff.

al dente Sep 4th 2013 10:48 am

My bro and his mate did their Yacht-masters near Southampton? My brother is now a prof yachtie whereas his mate went back to land and is now a hedge fund manager:eek:. They live very different lives!

The_Citizen Sep 4th 2013 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10885055)
That's the thing, it's hard and expensive to get into unless it's on your doorstep.

My school had a sailing club which was cool, just in dinghies on a big lake racing and learning.

On top of that Dad's got a yacht so we'd go out every weekend in Summer and occasionally when colder, but we were / are proper fair weather sailors. **** the cold and blowy stuff.

Wasn't really anything nearby or within say 40-50 miles that I could go to on a regular basis.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10885078)
Wasn't really anything nearby or within say 40-50 miles that I could go to on a regular basis.

Yeah that's pretty limiting...!

Meow Sep 4th 2013 11:31 am

The person who annoyed me earlier today. He's in my sights...

Bahtatboy Sep 4th 2013 11:49 am

Aside from the girl in the adjacent office with the demeanour of a slightly-drugged hippy, a gorgeously-languid lilt, and deep, deep, deep dark eyes…

Long-Term
Manage my (albeit currently mainly putative) investments in a balanced way sufficient to fund my retirement
Maintain my health (as far as that’s within my control) sufficient to keep doing what I enjoy
Refuse to let my chronological age inhibit me

Medium-Term
Retire in 3 and-a-bit years via doing what my current employer likes me to do
Have as much fun as I can during what is, admittedly, a somewhat unbalanced existence
Get into 34” jeans with no overhang, since that’s my self-imposed condition for buying a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
Buy a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Short-Term
Learn the control that is necessary to be able to go round within 18 over
Get more sleep
Exercise more
Talk to that trusted IFA…

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10885165)

Short-Term
Learn the control that is necessary to be able to go round within 18 over

Great one. I should have said this.

I'm shite at golf and broke 100 for the first time a few weeks back. Then shot 103 at AD National and 102 at Al Badia.

Both rounds were great until about the 12th at AD and the 14th at Al Badia where I shot a 10 both times. If I didn't have such a stinking hole which stood out like a sore thumb then I'd be under 100 consistently.

I don't want to be great, I just want to not be utterly shite. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

weasel decentral Sep 4th 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10885165)
Buy a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Now that's a nice plan, just put with it a goal to attend a motorcycle maintenance course :p

Bahtatboy Sep 4th 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10885365)
Now that's a nice plan, just put with it a goal to attend a motorcycle maintenance course :p

I'll do it in a Zen-like state, man :shades_smile:

OleJanx Sep 4th 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10885383)
I'll do it in a Zen-like state, man :shades_smile:

:thumbsup:

co durham boy Sep 4th 2013 2:31 pm

Short Term

* Run my second marathon

* Visit Moscow and Tokyo and Namibia

* Buy more distressed property

Long Term

* Take 6 months out to do a charity build project in Sri Lanka for Oxfam

* Retire at 55

* Get the fu** out of Qatar

Bahtatboy Sep 4th 2013 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10885444)
Short Term

* Run my second marathon

* Visit Moscow and Tokyo and Namibia

* Buy more distressed property

Long Term

* Take 6 months out to do a charity build project in Sri Lanka for Oxfam

* Retire at 55

* Get the fu** out of Qatar

That's quite impressive :thumbup:

By the way, can you recommend anywhere for lunch in Durham?

NorthernLad Sep 4th 2013 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10885470)
That's quite impressive :thumbup:

By the way, can you recommend anywhere for lunch in Durham?

The Court for good pub food.