British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "What you should do when you interact with Arabs" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-you-should-do-when-you-interact-arabs-749437/)

Meow Feb 23rd 2012 8:41 am

"What you should do when you interact with Arabs"

http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyle...02-23-1.444585

Nothing new in this article, but someone has made a comment at the end which I think is rather pertinent.

"Good tips. You should also do a guide about how to interact with Westerners. And Asians - and so on. Why only a guide about interacting with Arabs? The demographics in the country are mixed, and most persons who physically operate many services and form the majority of the purchasing public, are expats."

As expats we are always being told that we must respect local customs, which is fair enough, but as we are all guests in the UAE, should this cut both ways?

Discuss... ;)

csdf Feb 23rd 2012 11:24 am

Re: "What you should do when you interact with Arabs"

It's interesting - in the UK we are forever being told that we should respect foreign customs and make allowances for visitors and recent immigrants, but here we see that it's the other way round - foreigners should respect local customs.

Maxima Feb 23rd 2012 3:37 pm

Do as i say not as i do comes to mind

It could also indicate that you are feeling impatient – a social crime in the Gulf

‘Slow down a bit; be gentle; be patient.’ On the road, truck and other drivers, will make the gesture through the vehicle’s side window to other drivers. It means: ‘Please let me in’ or ‘Please let me change lanes’.

In my time in the Gulf, i never saw Arabs asking for permission through a hand gesture, they would just shove in

Alexa Feb 23rd 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9916563)
http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyle...02-23-1.444585

Nothing new in this article, but someone has made a comment at the end which I think is rather pertinent.

"Good tips. You should also do a guide about how to interact with Westerners. And Asians - and so on. Why only a guide about interacting with Arabs? The demographics in the country are mixed, and most persons who physically operate many services and form the majority of the purchasing public, are expats."

As expats we are always being told that we must respect local customs, which is fair enough, but as we are all guests in the UAE, should this cut both ways?

Discuss... ;)

Funny you mention that..just a few minutes ago, after reading a local guide on what to/ what not to do in Qatar regarding locals, my husband said we should write a guide for non Westerners on what TO do in the West....Thing is, as those things regarding local customs are lapped up here by foreigners, if one wrote one the other way around one could be sure to be called racist and have a few Fatwas slapped on one's head....

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 23rd 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 9916725)
It's interesting - in the UK we are forever being told that we should respect foreign customs and make allowances for visitors and recent immigrants.

I've heard this often, invariably from people decrying "political correctness" or "multiculturalism", but I can never recall any specific examples. Could you please quote some?

shiva Feb 23rd 2012 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 9917211)
I've heard this often, invariably from people decrying "political correctness" or "multiculturalism", but I can never recall any specific examples. Could you please quote some?

Afghanistan, bonfire and some books springs to mind

Boomhauer Feb 23rd 2012 5:00 pm

Burqa and Niqab
muezzin call to prayer
Sharia law
special rooms set aside for prayers

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 23rd 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9917338)
Burqa and Niqab
muezzin call to prayer
Sharia law

I can recall numerous newspaper (Daily Mail etc.) articles loudly decrying special consideration for Muslims (by the way, can you tell me where in the UK there is a broadcast call to prayer or indeed a Sharia court?).

However, my question was in response to this contention:
in the UK we are forever being told that we should respect foreign customs
I just don't recall this constant exhortation and I am wondering if anybody can point me towards some SPECIFIC examples rather than hearsay, supposition or hagioigraphy.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2012 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 9917371)
I can recall numerous newspaper (Daily Mail etc.) articles loudly decrying special consideration for Muslims (by the way, can you tell me where in the UK there is a broadcast call to prayer or indeed a Sharia court?).

I just don't recall this constant exhortation and I am wondering if anybody can point me towards some SPECIFIC examples rather than hearsay, supposition or hagioigraphy.

My friend is a teacher in the UK in a school in a nice city, 60% of the girls that go to the ROMAN CATHOLIC all girls school do not have English as first language. Majority are Indian / Pakistani, mixed in with some Polish.

They, as teaching staff, are constantly reminded to use the phrases they have been taught in other languages to get attention / tell off / organise the kids.

That, taking the religious connection the school has to one side away, is in my opinion; taking the absolute piss.

Millhouse Feb 26th 2012 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9921205)
My friend is a teacher in the UK in a school in a nice city, 60% of the girls that go to the ROMAN CATHOLIC all girls school do not have English as first language. Majority are Indian / Pakistani, mixed in with some Polish.

They, as teaching staff, are constantly reminded to use the phrases they have been taught in other languages to get attention / tell off / organise the kids.

That, taking the religious connection the school has to one side away, is in my opinion; taking the absolute piss.

I agree - there is no way them Indian kids will ever learn how to Polish.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9921244)
I agree - there is no way them Indian kids will ever learn how to Polish.

Disgusting isn't it.

Even when provided with Mr Sheen.

csdf Feb 26th 2012 7:16 am

I was brought up to respect other cultures and not assume that everyone thinks the same way I do.

Norm_uk Feb 26th 2012 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9917338)
Burqa and Niqab
muezzin call to prayer
Sharia law

I read online a few years ago that staff in one UK council office were asked to avoid eating and drinking in front of colleagues who might be fasting for ramadan - can't be bothered looking that up.

But yes, there are many examples of UK 'locals' (well that's what they are) are not given cultural primacy as a matter of course, and are told (as often by other UK locals as by any particular foreign group) to respect foreign culture and custom in their own country.

It's the same old tune - people so scared to seem intolerant and offensive they will proverbially cut off their own right hand. A famous ancient Greek once said 'Tolerance is a virtue - but it is also the immediate neighbour of apathy and weakness'. Speaking in very general terms (how else can we speak on such matters?) I think we are weak and apathetic today. Few love their country, their culture and their people...many are scared to for fear of being accused on being something they are not (racist, intolerant etc).

Anyway rant over ;)

N.

Tockalosh Feb 28th 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 9917371)

Blackburn

Tockalosh Feb 28th 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9921456)
I read online a few years ago that staff in one UK council office were asked to avoid eating and drinking in front of colleagues who might be fasting for ramadan - can't be bothered looking that up.

But yes, there are many examples of UK 'locals' (well that's what they are) are not given cultural primacy as a matter of course, and are told (as often by other UK locals as by any particular foreign group) to respect foreign culture and custom in their own country.

It's the same old tune - people so scared to seem intolerant and offensive they will proverbially cut off their own right hand. A famous ancient Greek once said 'Tolerance is a virtue - but it is also the immediate neighbour of apathy and weakness'. Speaking in very general terms (how else can we speak on such matters?) I think we are weak and apathetic today. Few love their country, their culture and their people...many are scared to for fear of being accused on being something they are not (racist, intolerant etc).

Anyway rant over ;)

N.

Blackburn and South Preston