Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What will Ramadan be like this year...

What will Ramadan be like this year...

Old May 11th 2009, 4:30 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default What will Ramadan be like this year...

with all those rules about behaviour etc re-issued not so long ago (has it actually made a change by the way)...do you reckon that Ramadan will be more strict this year...
Over the past few years it's been getting more relaxed with more places open during the day etc, but is the prediction that the clock will be turned back...
The kids will still be on their summer break and the temperatures will be soaring...not something to look forward to...
Old May 11th 2009, 4:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will Ramadan be like this year...

Originally Posted by MataHari
with all those rules about behaviour etc re-issued not so long ago (has it actually made a change by the way)...do you reckon that Ramadan will be more strict this year...
Over the past few years it's been getting more relaxed with more places open during the day etc, but is the prediction that the clock will be turned back...
The kids will still be on their summer break and the temperatures will be soaring...not something to look forward to...
I agree, had this conversation last week with a friend, it's going to be a tough one that's for sure.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:35 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree, had this conversation last week with a friend, it's going to be a tough one that's for sure.
yeah...I still have to book a holiday and am thinking of going during Ramadan...but that would mean the kids have around 8 weeks in a row here first...
Old May 11th 2009, 4:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yeah...I still have to book a holiday and am thinking of going during Ramadan...but that would mean the kids have around 8 weeks in a row here first...
tough one, thankfully Ramadan doesn't effect children directly and if you use the hotel facilities a bit more you will be able to get food and drinks for yourself too. I am in the same position, moving house at the end of June then the summer ahead, we aren't going home at all. Just plan on visiting a few beach clubs etc. The heat doesn't bother me and let's face it is will be very quiet here this summer. What day does Ramadan kick in?
Old May 11th 2009, 4:50 am
hmmmm...nice

tough one, thankfully Ramadan doesn't effect children directly and if you use the hotel facilities a bit more you will be able to get food and drinks for yourself too. I am in the same position, moving house at the end of June then the summer ahead, we aren't going home at all. Just plan on visiting a few beach clubs etc. The heat doesn't bother me and let's face it is will be very quiet here this summer. What day does Ramadan kick in?
it's not so bad for the small ones I agree, but I'll have 2 6ft teenage sons moping around...
kicks off around August 22nd...
Old May 11th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Thinking of just shoving a cushion up my top and pretending to be very preggers, then I can eat and drink!

We are also here for summer (well not going back to UK) but have booked 2 weeks in August away. Did consider going away for Ramadan, but the idea of having kids off school for any longer than necessary makes me ill!
Old May 11th 2009, 4:55 am
Concierge

it's not so bad for the small ones I agree, but I'll have 2 6ft teenage sons moping around...
kicks off around August 22nd...
so why not go the week before? say 14th/15th of August. Tough with teenagers here in the summer, too old for summer camps?
Old May 11th 2009, 4:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy
Thinking of just shoving a cushion up my top and pretending to be very preggers, then I can eat and drink!

We are also here for summer (well not going back to UK) but have booked 2 weeks in August away. Did consider going away for Ramadan, but the idea of having kids off school for any longer than necessary makes me ill!
just say it is that time of the month
Old May 11th 2009, 4:58 am
hmmmm...nice

if you want to do it properly, you should already start wearing a small cushion now...and build it up...
well, kids don't go back to school until the first week in September anyway, on those lovely reduced hours, so it wouldn't mean taking them out of school if you go say the last 2 weeks of August...
Old May 11th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

if you want to do it properly, you should already start wearing a small cushion now...and build it up...
well, kids don't go back to school until the first week in September anyway, on those lovely reduced hours, so it wouldn't mean taking them out of school if you go say the last 2 weeks of August...
Believe me, it looks like there's a small cushion up there already!
Old May 11th 2009, 5:00 am
hmmmm...nice

so why not go the week before? say 14th/15th of August. Tough with teenagers here in the summer, too old for summer camps?
lol...too old and too 'cool' for summercamps...I have told them to go and find a job...although it might be easier when I find a job and just go there every day and leave them to it...
Old May 11th 2009, 5:01 am
hmmmm...nice

congratulations...
Old May 11th 2009, 5:02 am
Concierge

mine is more a large cushion!! I should manage nicely during Ramadan my plan is to go up to Al Ain for a few days to break the week up, there are always cheap offers on over the summer, it's gets us out of town, change of scenery etc.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:02 am
Concierge

lol...too old and too 'cool' for summercamps...I have told them to go and find a job...although it might be easier when I find a job and just go there every day and leave them to it...
I agree, how old are they now?
Old May 11th 2009, 5:05 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

mine is more a large cushion!! I should manage nicely during Ramadan my plan is to go up to Al Ain for a few days to break the week up, there are always cheap offers on over the summer, it's gets us out of town, change of scenery etc.
But its still bloody hot even at the top of that mountain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.