Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What weren't you allowed?

What weren't you allowed?

Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What weren't you allowed?

We were never allowed fish & chips, the adults could have them but we could only ever have pattie & chips.

I wasn't allowed to watch Tales of the unexpected, Hammer House of horrors or Salems lot, and all the other kids at school used to watch them.

I could listen to the Top 40 on a Sunday and my Dads Johnny Cash, Elton John etc, but used to sneak and Listen to my Brothers Sex Pistols LPs and once.got a whack for singing.".friggin in the riggin" out loud.

I couldnt watch my older brothers movies like " The Warriors" or The Wanderers.

And..My mother used to make a tupperware jug of Marvel milk up and leave it in the fridge so if there wasn't much " real" milk we had to have Marvel on our weetabix.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
We were never allowed fish & chips, the adults could have them but we could only ever have pattie & chips.

I wasn't allowed to watch Tales of the unexpected, Hammer House of horrors or Salems lot, and all the other kids at school used to watch them.

I could listen to the Top 40 on a Sunday and my Dads Johnny Cash, Elton John etc, but used to sneak and Listen to my Brothers Sex Pistols LPs and once.got a whack for singing.".friggin in the riggin" out loud.

I couldnt watch my older brothers movies like " The Warriors" or The Wanderers.

And..My mother used to make a tupperware jug of Marvel milk up and leave it in the fridge so if there wasn't much " real" milk we had to have Marvel on our weetabix.
My parents wouldn't have known what 'friggin' was........... nor anything else: on Aladdin Sane, Bowie sings 'Time, she flexes like a whore, falls wanking to the floor' (or something) - my Mum thought it was disgusting that someone would use the word 'whore' in a song.......

Interesting comments about Monty Python....... it was originally a late-evening show on Saturday nights on BBC2 so that was out - it clashed with Michael Parkinson on BBC1.........

Last edited by The Dean; Nov 18th 2013 at 2:35 am. Reason: .
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:34 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
I downloaded Tales of The Unexpected last year, it's still great viewing.

The only 'late' night viewing allowed was The Gentle Touch and The Professionals.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:40 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I downloaded Tales of The Unexpected last year, it's still great viewing.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm downloading it now.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:05 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Thanks for the heads up, I'm downloading it now.
While you're at it get 'Bouncers'. Series one covered a night out in Blyth as well as Sunderland and Newcastle.

A friends German wife watched it and at first did not believe it was a reality show.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:22 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
While you're at it get 'Bouncers'. Series one covered a night out in Blyth as well as Sunderland and Newcastle.

A friends German wife watched it and at first did not believe it was a reality show.
Can only find series 1 episodes 1-4 and S2 E1 & 2, sure there's more out there.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:34 am
Big Member

Originally Posted by Kix
Can only find series 1 episodes 1-4 and S2 E1 & 2, sure there's more out there.
They are the only ones I have. Series one is North East (and Newport, which is also pretty grim viewing).
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:38 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
Double Dip's were the best sherbet sweet IMO

Attachment 114725
My freinds gran used to get pop from the pop man and we'd pour all the different types of pop into glasses and add the sherbet from double dips and have "cocktails" we'd then practice our dancing in the back garden wearing high heels 6x too big for us I've not changed much!

I wasn't allowed to roller skate in the house, wear makeup or have boys in my room, thankfully I now have my own house and can do all those things now!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 6:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kelli28
have boys in my room, thankfully I now have my own house and can do all those things now!
I wasn't allowed girls to stay at my Dads, but when I was at college (16/17/18) Mum didn't really mind if they were a 'girlfriend'.

Dad relaxed his rules (well, my Stepmum's) only when you were living with your partner.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Grange Hill and Byker Grove - too rough.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 9:14 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I wasn't allowed girls to stay at my Dads, but when I was at college (16/17/18) Mum didn't really mind if they were a 'girlfriend'.

Dad relaxed his rules (well, my Stepmum's) only when you were living with your partner.
I'd moved out by that age! Im talking about ages 9-10, I never lived with my dad and I'm quiet pleased about that, he came over MY house early one Sunday morning and I had a sleepover guest that had to do the walk of shame past my dad, dad was not impressed and I got a ticking off! We fell out over it for about a yr!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I'd moved out by that age! Im talking about ages 9-10, I never lived with my dad and I'm quiet pleased about that, he came over MY house early one Sunday morning and I had a sleepover guest that had to do the walk of shame past my dad, dad was not impressed and I got a ticking off! We fell out over it for about a yr!
Sometimes I'm glad I have boys and not girls. The above a case in point. I'll be Borat Hi-five-ing them in front of their mum if they have girls stay the night in ten years time.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 9:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Sometimes I'm glad I have boys and not girls. The above a case in point. I'll be Borat Hi-five-ing them in front of their mum if they have girls stay the night in ten years time.
Mum had a feller once, I came down after going out in town (I was 15). We had gone and got pissed, pretended to be older and not been allowed into several bars, but it was Salisbury and some places needed the cash it seemed.

Anyway, we got leathered and I came down the stairs in the morning. There's whasshisname (can't remember, Paul I think, wanker) stood grinning.

Alright Scamp?
No.
Want me to make you a tea or a juice buddy?
No.
Some toast? Here, you have a sit down I'll fix you something.
I'm really sorry mate, but I'm not hungry, I just need water....
...OK, I'll get it.
No. It's fine. Thanks (Just **** off and leave me be).

5 mins later, the sweet helpful tones changed to him being my best mate:

So...is there some bird up there in your bed?
Er... no.
Didn't pull? Nobody got shagged last night then?
Err...no.
Oh I thought you'd have pulled some bird and been up all night shagging.
Err...I'm going back upstairs.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 9:58 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I'll be Borat Hi-five-ing them in front of their mum if they have girls stay the night in ten years time.
But they're already 23 years old Saudi!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 9:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Mum had a feller once, I came down after going out in town (I was 15). We had gone and got pissed, pretended to be older and not been allowed into several bars, but it was Salisbury and some places needed the cash it seemed.

Anyway, we got leathered and I came down the stairs in the morning. There's whasshisname (can't remember, Paul I think, wanker) stood grinning.

Alright Scamp?
No.
Want me to make you a tea or a juice buddy?
No.
Some toast? Here, you have a sit down I'll fix you something.
I'm really sorry mate, but I'm not hungry, I just need water....
...OK, I'll get it.
No. It's fine. Thanks (Just **** off and leave me be).

5 mins later, the sweet helpful tones changed to him being my best mate:

So...is there some bird up there in your bed?
Er... no.
Didn't pull? Nobody got shagged last night then?
Err...no.
Oh I thought you'd have pulled some bird and been up all night shagging.
Err...I'm going back upstairs.

Sounds like he was just trying to be nice to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.