Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What weren't you allowed?

What weren't you allowed?

Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What weren't you allowed?

No ITV, no fizzy drinks before dinner as they ruin your appetite. Eat everything you're given and ask 'please may I leave the table'.

Aso the rule of no sleeping together unless married is still in force at my grandmothers house, even though most of the family who stay there occasionally have been cohabiting for years. Including me who was with the same guy for 12 years.

No sweets, although the occasional caramel wafer or gold bar or viscount was allowed after dinner. I was so sweet deprived as a child that when i started getting pocket money I went totally mad and ate my bodyweight in Chewits as often as possible.

no swearing as children and is only allowed now if in the context of a story and profuse apologies are made in advance of the offending word being used, and this includes damn and bugger.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What weren't you allowed?

I seem to have had a fairly relaxed set of rules in general growing up, except for the usual restrictions on fizzy drinks, stuffing my face with sweets and watching TV late at night.

Never brought anyone home though but that was more a factor of where I grew up which was miles into the countryside. It was a difficult feat to convince girls to come to a place where the morning walk of shame would involve a 10 mile hike on country roads.

They did however get the shock of their lives when they came to visit unannounced one day in Dublin after I moved out for college, I was shacked up (this was the term my mother used) with an Italian girl at the time.