Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What are we coming to...

What are we coming to...

Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are we coming to...

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'm not sure. It could be a giant hamster.
Yeah and I believe in Santa Claus...He lives on Jebel Hafeet...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...707119858/1138

Apparently all is forgiven, after the howls died down.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:52 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Anyway, I'm going to Church now...Will muse upon this later in the day...
Presumably they don't let labourers in the church then? I mean if you don't want them in the same mall as you, you're hardly likely to do an hour of heil marys and kum bay yah with some sweaty low-paid asian chap right next to you.

That bearded chap who got nailed to the tree, do you think he'd be ok with keeping the lepers out of the nice clean shopping malls?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Presumably they don't let labourers in the church then? I mean if you don't want them in the same mall as you, you're hardly likely to do an hour of heil marys and kum bay yah with some sweaty low-paid asian chap right next to you.

That bearded chap who got nailed to the tree, do you think he'd be ok with keeping the lepers out of the nice clean shopping malls?
What's your problem???

Did I say anywhere, on this thread or on any other thread, that labourer's should not go to a specific place???

Read well before you jump on me next time...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:45 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

What's your problem???

Did I say anywhere, on this thread or on any other thread, that labourer's should not go to a specific place???

anyway it's been revoked, they are now allowed in this new Mall in Al Ain.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
anyway it's been revoked, they are now allowed in this new Mall in Al Ain.
That's outrageous...

How dare they change their minds!!!What are we coming to???
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

That's outrageous...

How dare they change their minds!!!What are we coming to???
I know ...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:00 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

What's your problem???

Did I say that you did? No I did not. So read well yourself matey.

This is what you said:

Would both of you be happy to share a cab with a labourer, or go into a toilet which is used by a labourer, or, go to McDonalds and sit down and have lunch with a labourer???

I know I wouldn't and i am pretty sure none of you would...

Hence I don't see why we get upset and angry at such a subject...
And this is what I said in response

Originally Posted by captainflack
Seems perfectly reasonable response. If you don't want to eat a burger next to a labourer then it seems entirely reasonable to conclude you're not going to want to do your god bothering next to one either.

Or is that somehow different?!?

Last edited by captainflack; Jul 14th 2009 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

To be honest, I'm not sure where my thoughts lie on this. It is related to the "tipping" thread, I think.

Yes, it would be great if the laborers earnt more money and could afford better things/up their lifestyle. But we have to look at the whole picture and know where it would stop. Do we raise their earnings so signficantly that we no longer need to tip maids/waiters/valet service, bringing us into an old soviet state where everything was rationed because we all earn the same amount of money. Or do we being to live in these "class" divides, which only seem to be getting worse... i.e: Lower Class and Upper Class. If that is the case, then the two really are going to have to shop/eat/mix in different circles because the lower paid ones would simply not be able to afford to eat where the "upper class" do.... but then we're just falling back to Victorian times.

So, what would happen? - The majority of workers from overseas to the East seem to earn money, and send savings home (if they have enough spare). If they were earning double, tripple, quadruple what they are earning now, how would that affect the local communities in those areas? Would you have a large influx of migrant workers falling into these "wealthier" countries? Yes... and then the wage war starts again... "choose me, I'll work cheaper than him". And so the cycle begins once more.

For the record, I think laborers are grossly underpaid for the work they do... but for the reasons above, I don't know how (if given the opportunity) I would go about changing this.

Last edited by Amnesia180; Jul 14th 2009 at 4:00 pm. Reason: I quoted 'captainflack' by accident.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

We are all guilty of differing degrees of hypocrisy, otherwise we would all give 90% of our earnings away and open up our house and car to whomever needed it.