British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-us-thinks-uae-ports-628363/)

Autonomy Aug 31st 2009 5:34 am

What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports

Congressman Brad Sherman, Democrat of California), who heads the House Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade, says that Ras al-Khaimah and other U.A.E. ports have been “utilized by smuggling networks to assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program.”

Nice.

This article purports to be about sailing. It says a lot more about the way Americans think about the UAE...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/sp....html?_r=3&hpw

Meow Aug 31st 2009 5:47 am

Re: What The US Thinks Of The UAE ports

It says a lot more about just how narrow-minded and insular the Americans are.

-

Inselaffen Aug 31st 2009 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7890509)

-

could quite easily be true though. Security at the main port in RAK was very poor. I'm sure that in the small ports handling Dhows there will be next to no security.

Autonomy Aug 31st 2009 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7890557)
could quite easily be true though. Security at the main port in RAK was very poor. I'm sure that in the small ports handling Dhows there will be next to no security.

Little ports the world over are pretty porous from what I've seen, whether in RAK, Oman or Scotland... I wonder what proof they have that they have "assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program"

assist is quite a strong word to use here as it suggests involvement rather than passive lack of security...

Bonny Boy Aug 31st 2009 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7890557)

I know there is pressure to move the dhows from Dubai creek into a purpose built facility.

All well and good, but a little bit of character will be lost.

Meow Aug 31st 2009 7:20 am

Having sailed between the UK and France on yachts many times, I can tell you that there is negligible security in the small ports. I am sure the same applies the world over.

-

Norm_uk Aug 31st 2009 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7890509)

-

Indeed...and for all that they are not even a tenth as narrow minded and insular as the people from this region. And the US files more patents for new inventions and wins more nobel prizes than any other nation on the planet...

N.

seven seas Aug 31st 2009 6:10 pm

Just some guy trying to impress his fellow Americans.

"See, I know the names of two other countries, apart from the USA and Africa."

The Dean Aug 31st 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7890592)
Little ports the world over are pretty porous from what I've seen, whether in RAK, Oman or Scotland... I wonder what proof they have that they have "assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program"

assist is quite a strong word to use here as it suggests involvement rather than passive lack of security...

I wonder what proof they have that they have "assist Iran’s weapons programs and its nuclear program"

None, but he's a Democrat. He's only saying what Hillary told him to say......... she positively hates the Arab world.

Ray Aug 31st 2009 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7890652)
Having sailed between the UK and France on yachts many times, I can tell you that there is negligible security in the small ports. I am sure the same applies the world over.

-

Same with the Woolwich ferry

weescot Aug 31st 2009 6:46 pm

Humph. any well researched politican commenting on the Middle East would know UAE's relations/outstanding issues with Iran wouldn't even support such a theory.

On a side note however, there is definately x-Hormuz Straights smuggling going on up the road in Khasab. I have seen them coming over whilst out diving in the most Northern most islands up there. But only in small fast boats. Border controls - land or marimime will always be on catch up here, given the number of non-sponsored economic migrants seeking work. I suspect the maritime borders will have to "buck up" next, now that the land fence is up in the "choke points".

Autonomy Aug 31st 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 7891996)
Humph. any well researched politican commenting on the Middle East would know UAE's relations/outstanding issues with Iran wouldn't even support such a theory.

On a side note however, there is definately x-Hormuz Straights smuggling going on up the road in Khasab. I have seen them coming over whilst out diving in the most Northern most islands up there. But only in small fast boats. Border controls - land or marimime will always be on catch up here, given the number of non-sponsored economic migrants seeking work. I suspect the maritime borders will have to "buck up" next, now that the land fence is up in the "choke points".

errrmmmmm you mean the wacky races every evening just before sunset.... the cigarette boats go at a fair old lick.... it's all fags, diesel and centrifuges I hear...

weescot Sep 1st 2009 4:34 am

..and vodka. Two cases were found on a dive once apparently ...