Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What sports did you play?

What sports did you play?

Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:14 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What sports did you play?

Whilst at school, uni, the sandpit or elsewhere?

I have played the following sports:

Tennis
Squash
Lacrosse (in the US men and women play lacrosse whereas hockey is only a girls' sport, sort of the reverse of the UK)
Football both US and UK
Rugby
Rowing

My standouts, if you can call 'em, were tennis and squash. At least these were the sports I committed to every year at school, and I played on my university squash team.

Also did a fair bit of running.

You?

Last edited by Ethos83; Aug 10th 2010 at 7:21 am.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:24 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What sports did you play?

Football to an alright (county) standard

Squash for fun and fitness

Running for fun

cycling for fun

swimming for fun

Triathlon is my addiction now, havent kicked a football in years.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

pool, darts, table football...

my 'stand out' is table football. I have strong wrists.

I was refereed to as the "super sub" at real football. I was utterly shite, but if you wanted to bring on a player who you could afford to lose but who would be willing to kick the key striker in the nuts that was me.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:35 am
Account Closed

I noticed a trend. All indoors.

Never had the pleasure of running through a muddy countryside during heavy rains? Or warming up with the racquet and a few balls on a bright autumn afternoon?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

I was refereed to as the "super sub" at real football. I was utterly shite, but if you wanted to bring on a player who you could afford to lose but who would be willing to kick the key striker in the nuts that was me.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I noticed a trend. All indoors.

Never had the pleasure of running through a muddy countryside during heavy rains? Or warming up with the racquet and a few balls on a bright autumn afternoon?
I'm not good in temperatures below 25oC...

I used to love fielding at cricket as that was basically sun bathing - no one expected me to fetch the ball like a dog though.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I ran cross country at County level at school.
Played Hockey at Country level.
I was Goal keeper for Strike Command and also the reserve goalie for the WRAF international team
Did Sports Parachuting in the RAF.

I never do cardio now, it makes me out of breath darling
If they made trainers with a 5inch heel then I might wear them
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:44 am
Account Closed

I find I have more energy when the temperature is below 25 than above. The colder the more energetic I am as the cold forces me to get moving!

The Austrian lakes are a good example. They are cold - even on hot summer days, but the shock of the plunge gets the body moving and whoah! it feels fantastic.

I'm with Calvin's dad in Calvin & Hobbes. All about building character

I'm not good in temperatures below 25oC...

I used to love fielding at cricket as that was basically sun bathing - no one expected me to fetch the ball like a dog though.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:46 am
Account Closed

You amaze me, Pats....your life is full of unexpected nuggets of information.

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I ran cross country at County level at school.
Played Hockey at Country level.
I was Goal keeper for Strike Command and also the reserve goalie for the WRAF international team
Did Sports Parachuting in the RAF.

I never do cardio now, it makes me out of breath darling
If they made trainers with a 5inch heel then I might wear them
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:49 am
Account Closed

For Patsy:

http://teese.vox.com/library/photo/6...0eca14cd5.html

Interested?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Much the same: pool, snooker, darts, table football.

Made to play rugby and do cross-country at school, hated them both. Home is half-way up Ilkley Moor, and a lot of friends back home do fell running--I've quietly studied these nutters and they've all lived in Ilkley for more than 14 years, so I reckon there must be high levels of lead in the drinking water which has gradually sent them bonkers. The Moor's nice to look at, acceptable to amble over, but to try to run over it and on to Rombalds Moor and then further afield just isn't sane.

Also played squash, a fair amount in Riyadh on a concrete floor with chicken wire for a roof. So not only was it 'king hot, the floor was sandy and rock-solid. Sort of like suicide with a racquet.

Played snooker for the local British Legion team, darts for Hall team at Uni, and table footie anywhere I could--always played at the back, but I generally outscored anyone up-front with the slide-and-wallop from the goalie, especially good after a deft back-pass from a defender and then lightning-quick move from the goalie. Anyone seen a table here?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a water baby- always loved swimming and its the one sport I'ma ctually any good at! Long distance though.

When I was at school we used to do cross country running, and the teacher used to run us to the gates then we were on our own, a small group of us would run to the end of the road turn the corner, then spark up, walk a short cut , sit around and smoke for half an hour then run the last bit back- seeming completely puffed. We didn't realsie we were getting back before everyone else and she entered us in the county trials- needless to say we bombed- bought shame on the school etc and it was very possibly the most painfully embarrassing thing thats ever happened as we crossed the line about half an hour after everyone else! Got detention for quite a long time and she despised us after that! Although I don't know how she didn't smell smoke on us... guess we learnt our lesson either way- if you're going to cheat don't cheat too much!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

You amaze me, Pats....your life is full of unexpected nuggets of information.
Lol Darling, I have been very lucky and grabbed life as it has wooshed past me..no regrets and still looking forward to new experiences
Not high enough darling
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
table footie anywhere I could--always played at the back, but I generally outscored anyone up-front with the slide-and-wallop from the goalie, especially good after a deft back-pass from a defender and then lightning-quick move from the goalie. Anyone seen a table here?
We need to find a table. I'm on for a game.

I also play at the back, and out score anyone on the front - always with the left defender. I do a quick one-two and whack.

I was 'OK' at rugby - I used to play hooker, but then the other kids just seemed to grow around me so I jacked it in.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 10th 2010 at 7:59 am.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Netball at County Level
Hockey
Lacrosse

Tried Hurling a couple of times but I like my teeth..

Used to love the nuns vs girls netball matches at the end of term, oh lord sweet revenge
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Aussie Legends in Rydges hotel has a footie table. Perfect for you when you move up to DXB.

It also has the benefit of being a somewhat sketchy bar. Perfect for frequenters on BritExpats.

But the beer is cheap. 20 AED.

We need to find a table. I'm on for a game.

I also play at the back, and out score anyone on the front - always with the left defender. I do a quick one-two and whack.

I was 'OK' at rugby - I used to play hooker, but then the other kids just seemed to grow around me so I jacked it in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.