British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   What sort of Brexit do you want? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/what-sort-brexit-do-you-want-890562/)

Millhouse Jan 24th 2017 9:20 am

What sort of Brexit do you want?

Enough of all this trump stuff on the other thread - we are not Americans and have no say in the matter or ability to change it. Let's talk about Brexit... where we also have no say in the matter or ability to change it. With that in mind, here is an interesting picture:

https://infographic.statista.com/nor...ish_want_n.jpg

IKnowNothing Jan 24th 2017 9:27 am

Re: What sort of Brexit do you want?

So 39% want a Hard Brexit. Hope Mrs. May is watching and does what more than the percentage of people who voted the tories in last time, want.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 24th 2017 9:28 am

Part of me thinks to either do it or not bother, so the bottom one.

Another part of me thinks something more calm in the middle might not be a bad stepping stone.

Second bottom probably.

What about you?

DXBtoDOH Jan 24th 2017 9:36 am

Hard Brexit.

Ideally I'd like a special trade relationship with the EU to allow some *limited* movement based solely on job offers with no shot at permanent residency for at least 10 years, in exchange for access to the single market.

But with all the fuss the EU is putting up a clean hard Brexit may be the best way forward for the long run.

*My gut instinct is that we will get an official hard Brexit alongside a new trade treaty that offers something like what I wrote in the first paragraph, at least for certain sectors.

Millhouse Jan 24th 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12159960)
Part of me thinks to either do it or not bother, so the bottom one.

Another part of me thinks something more calm in the middle might not be a bad stepping stone.

Second bottom probably.

What about you?

I really think we need border control. Note, I am not saying stop immigration - they are totally different things and we need immigration (and lots of it) - someone needs to make the lattes after all.

dominoman Jan 24th 2017 9:44 am

Hard Brexit.

The EU is determined to punish us for our insolence in daring to question the virtues of their protectionist club. May should make it clear that we will leave and trade under WTO rules. That'll scare the bejeesus out of the more trade-minded countries, though not Juncker and his cronies.

What kind of club is it that retains its members and prevents them trading with non EU countries by issuing threats and fines. We shouldn't be any part of that.

Given the parlous state of Italy, France, Spain, Greece, Portugal etc, a clean break will help distance ourselves from the fallout of whatever happens next. Hard Brexit to me is the low risk option.

Fossildog Jan 24th 2017 10:03 am

Hard Brexit. The EU would appear to have far more to lose than the UK and I believe this is now becoming apparent in some of the rhetoric from EU leaders.

jam25mack Jan 24th 2017 1:41 pm

Go big or go home! Hard Exit! Lets stop fannying about and get the shithouse moving!

Big_Show Jan 25th 2017 1:59 am

I voted Remain and I haven't seen anything that's changed my mind from that since then, but if we're going to go (and I don't see how this vote in the house of commons would possibly stop that) then I think we should just go. No half-measures, and then make from it what we can. Anything less will make the EU and everyone else take us even less seriously than they already do.

UKCityGent Jan 25th 2017 6:20 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12160201)
Go big or go home! Hard Exit! Lets stop fannying about and get the shithouse moving!

+ 1

You will never achieve anything half-assed. It will also send a message to our (new) trading partners that the UK can actually make a decision and see it thru plus give crapulence to PM May

TheShed Jan 25th 2017 6:48 am

Hard Exit, according to the stats above, even some of the remainers are now coming on board.

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 26th 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by dominoman (Post 12159981)
What kind of club is it that retains its members and prevents them trading with non EU countries by issuing threats and fines. We shouldn't be any part of that.

What a complete distortion of reality. But given what people seem to believe a hard Brexit will mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Now can somebody please explain what "border control" means and what this will actually entail post-Brexit (aside from utterly crippling and destabilising one part of the UK about which the little-Englanders seem to care nothing). What "control" does non-Schengen, non-euro Britain currently lack that will magically appear post-Brexit? I presume EU citizens will still be able to entre Britain visa-free as now - so no actual difference at the borders except maybe a separate queue? The control will be how long and under what conditions they can remain which won't be done at the border. Britain already has full control over the conditions under which non-EU citizens may enter and remain in the UK. So what is "border control"?

DXBtoDOH Jan 26th 2017 8:24 am

The issue is, and has always been, and you know it fully, FOM and large scale immigration. Border control is simply a term that people use to control the migration of people (not visitors) into the UK.

The idea is that post-Brexit UK will be able to control the migration of people a whole lot easier because they will be able to restrict the EU migration. If further EU migration is allowed, it will be on British terms and not ideological 'rights' invented by the EU.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12162037)
What a complete distortion of reality. But given what people seem to believe a hard Brexit will mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Now can somebody please explain what "border control" means and what this will actually entail post-Brexit (aside from utterly crippling and destabilising one part of the UK about which the little-Englanders seem to care nothing). What "control" does non-Schengen, non-euro Britain currently lack that will magically appear post-Brexit? I presume EU citizens will still be able to entre Britain visa-free as now - so no actual difference at the borders except maybe a separate queue? The control will be how long and under what conditions they can remain which won't be done at the border. Britain already has full control over the conditions under which non-EU citizens may enter and remain in the UK. So what is "border control"?

BritInParis Jan 27th 2017 11:17 am

A rather silly survey given that it defines a 'Hard Brexit' as having no possibility of a Free Trade Agreement despite the fact that this is the government's stated policy and that the EU has already concluded such deals with Canada, Mexico and South Korea, none of whom are subject to the ECJ or required to permit Freedom of Movement.

That being said it is rather telling that even without the possibility of a FTA with the EU, presumably assuming that we would fall back on WTO trading rules, the most popular option was still to leave the EU.

tintriangle Jan 29th 2017 5:01 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12162047)
The issue is, and has always been, and you know it fully, FOM and large scale immigration. Border control is simply a term that people use to control the migration of people (not visitors) into the UK.

U.

In one.
But there are a myriad of other issues that hacked-off many. To me these were summarised in the way our Prime Minister was treated by the EU Administrators and various European leaders. Cameron went to them to explain that doing nothing to change the bloated arrogant centralised EU oversight and control of UK matters, was no longer an option. Had they shown some contrition and pragmatism this schism could have been avoided to the advantage of all.
Instead they gave him some crumbs of mild comfort and told him to go away.
That for me was the end of the line and showed exactly how divorced they are from public opinion, and not just public opinion in the UK. Their Ivory Towers need to be cut down and the UK is now in the best seat to observe this whilst getting on with looking after the interests of the UK.
The UK Government actions to show that the UK will be negotiating from a position of strength is the most sensible starting point: we have already been shown what happens if you approach the EU cap in hand. It does not mean that there cannot be compromise and there will need to be for the good of all.