Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What percentage of the human population is capable of perpetrating horrific crimes

What percentage of the human population is capable of perpetrating horrific crimes

Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:35 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default What percentage of the human population is capable of perpetrating horrific crimes

History shows that civilisation is a very thin veneer, and when it breaks down terrible crimes are committed by "ordinary people". Nazi Germany, the former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, Iraq etc.

Is it just a small percentage of the population who, once the moral restraints of society disappear, are capable of such brutality, or, given a certain set of circumstances, are we all capable of terrible acts against our fellow man?

With all the nutters in the world I reckon its around 75% of us.

(I ask this question after hearing on a radio show about an atrocious and utterly depressing crime committed in Iraq – a 6-year-old child was found with holes over his/her body. Investigators thought at first they were bullet holes. On further examination, they were found to be caused by a drill, ffs !)
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:52 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What percentage of the human population is capable of perpetrating horrific crime

Originally Posted by BangleMan View Post
History shows that civilisation is a very thin veneer, and when it breaks down terrible crimes are committed by "ordinary people". Nazi Germany, the former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, Iraq etc.

Is it just a small percentage of the population who, once the moral restraints of society disappear, are capable of such brutality, or, given a certain set of circumstances, are we all capable of terrible acts against our fellow man?

With all the nutters in the world I reckon its around 75% of us.

(I ask this question after hearing on a radio show about an atrocious and utterly depressing crime committed in Iraq – a 6-year-old child was found with holes over his/her body. Investigators thought at first they were bullet holes. On further examination, they were found to be caused by a drill, ffs !)
Whether we like it or not, I reckon we ALL are capable. The difference is the threshold we have to reach to act...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:01 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What percentage of the human population is capable of perpetrating horrific crime

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
Whether we like it or not, I reckon we ALL are capable. The difference is the threshold we have to reach to act...
I agree......buts it not only the threshold we would have to reach before acting.....I also wonder if there is a level of brutality within each of us, given a certain set of circumstances
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:05 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree......buts it not only the threshold we would have to reach before acting.....I also wonder if there is a level of brutality within each of us, given a certain set of circumstances
Again, Im pretty sure that, with differing thresholds, we are all capable of the same level of brutality...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:08 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I could have easily killed a couple of thousand people in AquaVenture on Friday...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:12 am
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
I could have easily killed a couple of thousand people in AquaVenture on Friday...
One at a time, or just by way of a mass explosion ?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:21 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

One at a time, or just by way of a mass explosion ?
oh, the worst ones I would have done one by one, and the masses in one go I guess...hadn't really thought about the practical side of things...spoils it a bit!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:27 am
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
oh, the worst ones I would have done one by one, and the masses in one go I guess...hadn't really thought about the practical side of things...spoils it a bit!
perhaps you could have got them to form an orderly queue....
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:50 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of related to the OP question:-

The Stanford prison experiment was a study of the psychological effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard. The experiment was conducted in 1971 by a team of researchers led by Psychology professor Philip Zimbardo at Stanford University. Twenty-four undergraduates were selected out of over 75 to play the prisoners and live in a mock prison in the basement of the Stanford psychology building. Roles were assigned randomly.

The participants adapted to their roles well beyond what even Zimbardo himself expected, leading the guards to display authoritarian measures and ultimately to subject some of the prisoners to torture. In turn, many of the prisoners developed passive attitudes and accepted physical abuse, and, at the request of the guards, readily inflected punishment on other prisoners who attempted to stop it.

The experiment even affected Zimbardo himself, who, in his capacity as "Prison Superintendent," lost sight of his role as psychologist and permitted the abuse to continue as though it were a real prison. Five of the prisoners were upset enough by the process to quit the experiment early, and the entire experiment was abruptly stopped after only six days. The experimental process and the results remain controversial. The entire experiment was filmed, with excerpts soon made publicly available, leaving some disturbed by the resulting film. Over 30 years later, Zimbardo found renewed interest in the experiment when the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal occurred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:05 am