What motivates you?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:01 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What motivates you?

In work - money then job satisfaction

In sports - enjoyment

Research has shown that the number one motivator in getting people to do exercise is finding an activity that you enjoy. Number two is having somebody to support you (gym buddy, friend, husband, wife)
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

me
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

this guy
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

I lack motivation to lose weight completely and find people "encouraging" me actually has the reverse effect. I left a good gym because my PT became such a nag and tried to shock me by telling me all the negatives - lower life expectancy, inability to have children, generally looking awful ! Yes, that's really going to make me rush back.

Friends have tried to support and I do appreciate their help, but I have got myself into a situation of being over-weight/lacking motivation or incentive to do much about it, and therefore I feel that I need to get myself out of it. Friends telling me that I am being selfish by being big because I will die before them doesnt really quite cut the mustard with me.

The one thing that has got me more motivated to get fit and lose some weight is that I took up driving in the desert, and have found that I need to be more agile and trimmer, and its for this reason - so I can really enjoy my time in the desert - that I have started the Dukkan diet and have lost a stone.

Generally in life I am very motivated and can apply myself very well. I certainly have a mantra that I will try anything once and that it really cant be that bad...can it? I am also fairly realistic - such as there is no way I could climb a mountain, but I could probably go for a walk for an hour or so. But for lots of reasons, the weight thing has become my sticking block. Ask me to learn how to change a tyre on my own...sure...but ask me to trim a couple of inches of my derriere....nah!

Small goals are great for me and I like the sense of achievement.

Good luck as its a tough one.