Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What happened to the censorship thread?

What happened to the censorship thread?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default What happened to the censorship thread?

Out of interest, where did it go?

How very dare people question the consensus...
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happened to the censorship thread?

ban him, mods!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:09 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It's still there (at least I can see it) about halfway down the page. Sue locked it (no more comments) after posting this:
"I am going to respond to the comments here, and then this thread will be closed to further posting.

We have to have moderation otherwise BE becomes a free-for-all and would be of no use to anybody.

For those of you who have been around a bit and used other forums you will notice that we have a fairly hands off approach to moderating on BE as opposed to many other communities on the inter webs. My motto is "less is more" in other words we only step in what absolutely necessary.

I asked nicely in another thread for people to get back on the topic as the thread had turned completely on it's head and was of no use to the OP of the thread in question. That request was ignored and so posts were removed. It's not censorship, it's asking people to give a thought to those members around them, nothing more, nothing less.

Now as already requested, please feel free to PM me if you wish to have a rant about how unfair I am being, but if you do please know that I won't be expanding on my comments above.

Thanks all"
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:22 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Out of interest, where did it go?

How very dare people question the consensus...
Living in the UAE, you should be used to it.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Interesting.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:55 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Interesting.
The thing is it's Sue's trainset. If you want to play then you abide by the Site Rules. If you don't want to toe the line then the best thing you can do is find someone elses trainset to play with or build your own.
I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious to most people but there were some yesterday who proved to be a little hard of understanding.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikewot
The thing is it's Sue's trainset. If you want to play then you abide by the Site Rules. If you don't want to toe the line then the best thing you can do is find someone elses trainset to play with or build your own.
I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious to most people but there were some yesterday who proved to be a little hard of understanding.
Perhaps it was the failure to address the Q and the associated issue raised that caused what you have perceived to be a misunderstanding? Just a thought, like
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Living in the UAE, you should be used to it.
Forget the UAE, I lost my freedom of speech when I got married.

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 12th 2013 at 6:53 am.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Also, interesting.

I don't really care that much, I don't think I'm that controversial or controversial enough to get banned.

Still, receiving messages from individuals saying that they've been banned or are leaving because it's too censored is not ideal.

Could be worse mind, could be in the US forums - they're all ****ing imbeciles.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Still, receiving messages from individuals saying that they've been banned or are leaving because it's too censored is not ideal.
No one got banned from yesterdays escapades so I don't know where you're coming from on that. But whats the alternative to zero moderation, a bunfight? Sue made it clear that the Mods are instructed to to use a very light touch, less is more. But there are some people who seem incapable at times of behaving in public and at those times action is taken.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:56 am
Account Closed

No one got banned from yesterdays escapades so I don't know where you're coming from on that. But whats the alternative to zero moderation, a bunfight? Sue made it clear that the Mods are instructed to to use a very light touch, less is more. But there are some people who seem incapable at times of behaving in public and at those times action is taken.
Not yesterday. In fact, the thread (having only read it this morning) seems a massive non-event to me. Not sure why it was shut down but hey, criticism of people with the power is a fact of life and something that happens every day.

What may offend you (as example, because you're a mod) might not offend say Commander or me or Al Dente or Meow and vice versa. I think it is all subjective, I say some pretty vile stuff sometimes but I don't really care because people have voices (fingers) and can speak up if they disagree.

I think, however, that failing to discuss or just quoting rules is a bit poor and lacks any respect for the intelligence of the remaining members of the forum. But that's just my opinion and it's well within the rights of a mod to do so. I get it.

Anyway, this is pointless eh.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:09 am
Account Closed

Not yesterday. In fact, the thread (having only read it this morning) seems a massive non-event to me. Not sure why it was shut down.
The one that got shut down was getting ridiculous, although I know you're talking about the one Sue locked which is different.

What may offend you (as example, because you're a mod) might not offend say Commander or me or Al Dente or Meow and vice versa. I think it is all subjective,.
I'm ex-military and very little offends me but I agree things are subjective and the Mods have to interpret the site rules as they see fit.

I think, however, that failing to discuss or just quoting rules is a bit poor and lacks any respect for the intelligence of the remaining members of the forum.,.
And therein lies the rub because some intelligent people display a singular lack of intelligence at times. It seems to me once the red mist descends the thinking element is first to go.

Anyway, this is pointless eh.
You go get it out of your system girlfriend! Provided you don't break the rules of course Because then I'll ban you as I've not had my daily power rush today and those petty types of authority are the only things that make me feel important
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:13 am
Account Closed

The one that got shut down was getting ridiculous, although I know you're talking about the one Sue locked which is different.

I'm ex-military and very little offends me but I agree things are subjective and the Mods have to interpret the site rules as they see fit.

And therein lies the rub because some intelligent people display a singular lack of intelligence at times. It seems to me once the red mist descends the thinking element is first to go.

You go get it out of your system girlfriend! Provided you don't break the rules of course Because then I'll ban you as I've not had my daily power rush today and those petty types of authority are the only things that make me feel important
At least you've answered shit, so fair play.

Regarding the bold bit...In essence, I can be rude and angry in a once-off because you know I'm generally not, but if the red mist sticks then expect to be banned?

Regarding the red bit...have a wank? Normally sorts it for me if I go and try to pull the head off it.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:23 am
Account Closed

At least you've answered shit, so fair play.
I'm writing a fairly boring set of requirements so it's either post in expats or slash my wrists.
Regarding the bold bit...In essence, I can be rude and angry in a once-off because you know I'm generally not, but if the red mist sticks then expect to be banned?.
Main reason for banning is spam, you wouldn't believe how many numbskulls come on here to sell crap. Next are trolls. As you correctly state if you have the odd Hulk moment as a member in good standing its no biggie. But there are the odd few who have 'issues' which they parade time after time. You try and persuade them by PM but if they won't listen then your options are limited.
Regarding the red bit...have a wank? Normally sorts it for me if I go and try to pull the head off it.
I usually get your missus to do that for me, you've taught her well, thanks!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:26 am
Account Closed

I usually get your missus to do that for me, you've taught her well, thanks!
How do I report a post?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.