What era are we in?

Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:40 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default What era are we in?

I'm forever describing various "aspects" of this place in terms of historical periods. For me, the driving is ancient rome, somewhat reminiscent of Ben Hur's chariot race.

And when I read the wonderful "Wolf Hall" I thought "wow, that's HERE. Yes this is like the tudor court system."

I've taken to responding to Du's queries of "how is the service ma'am?" by saying its like varying different ages depending on what mood I'm in. This is in the hope that someday, someone will see my record of "its like the dark ages/before the industrial revolution/like Russia during the last Tsar/scotland in the 50's etc etc and wonder...

Small pleasures...
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What era are we in?

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I'm forever describing various "aspects" of this place in terms of historical periods. For me, the driving is ancient rome, somewhat reminiscent of Ben Hur's chariot race.
And when I read the wonderful "Wolf Hall" I thought "wow, that's HERE. Yes this is like the tudor court system."
I've taken to responding to Du's queries of "how is the service ma'am?" by saying its like varying different ages depending on what mood I'm in. This is in the hope that someday, someone will see my record of "its like the dark ages/before the industrial revolution/like Russia during the last Tsar/scotland in the 50's etc etc and wonder...Small pleasures...
Keep taking the medication and you will soon get better.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have described Dubai to various people as a good taste of Victorian Britain. Strong class system, the ability for life to be very expensive for a middle class family yet the larger pool of low skilled workers seem to manage to survive on 10% the middle class income, the availability of servants/staff/maids/service workers, middle class housewives complaining about finding good help, deferential treatment based on income/nationality, the bling (Arabic bling is surprisingly similar to the Victorian love for gilt and showy items), middle and upper class materialism, many women heavily covered up, and the air of self-confident superiority affected by the richer Arabs and Asians who expect to get what they want whenever they want it.

Even the Arabic villas in Al Barsha or Jumeirah are similar to mid-Victorian villas - large, bulky, ugly.

Originally Posted by lullabelle

I've taken to responding to Du's queries of "how is the service ma'am?" by saying its like varying different ages depending on what mood I'm in. This is in the hope that someday, someone will see my record of "its like the dark ages/before the industrial revolution/like Russia during the last Tsar/scotland in the 50's etc etc and wonder...

Small pleasures...
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I have described Dubai to various people as a good taste of Victorian Britain. Strong class system, the ability for life to be very expensive for a middle class family yet the larger pool of low skilled workers seem to manage to survive on 10% the middle class income, the availability of servants/staff/maids/service workers, middle class housewives complaining about finding good help, deferential treatment based on income/nationality, the bling (Arabic bling is surprisingly similar to the Victorian love for gilt and showy items), middle and upper class materialism, many women heavily covered up, and the air of self-confident superiority affected by the richer Arabs and Asians who expect to get what they want whenever they want it.

Even the Arabic villas in Al Barsha or Jumeirah are similar to mid-Victorian villas - large, bulky, ugly.
The Victorians had chimmney sweeps and the Arabs had Camel Jockeys as well
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:12 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

That's an interesting analogy.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:04 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
That's an interesting analogy.
yup... and yet it's also very feudal, I think... the lords meting out their own slightly weird form of justice, the merchant classes seen as a necessary inconvenience and a mass of serfs who have very few rights or say in anything.