Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What on earth is going on regards Booze in Dubai this Ramadan??

What on earth is going on regards Booze in Dubai this Ramadan??

Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What on earth is going on regards Booze in Dubai this Ramadan??

I wonder what this will mean for Ramadan Friday Brunch.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by al dente
There is a hotel at the WTC though, somewhere, isn't there. I was there on Wednesday but they didn't set the bar up until 8.20 and only started serving booze at 8.30. It was quite busy, and a whole bunch had turned up at 8 so it got a bit antsy. They are new so probably just going the extra careful mile.

Good restaurants BTW. Saw the Maitre D from Zuma, checking Tamba out, so they must be doing well.
I wasn't suggesting they were open during ramadan. As far as I am aware all pubs are closed during the day down here in AD. Just saying it was unusual that they had licensed for alcohol in a mall. If that was the plan all along why not start that way? I think it is linked to the lack of footfall in mall
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:07 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Standanista
I wonder what this will mean for Ramadan Friday Brunch.
Now that is an interesting question.
Who will be the first to push the boat out?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:11 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Now that is an interesting question.
Who will be the first to push the boat out?
Quoting myself is a bit weird, but I just looked up the MCG JLT facebook page and they posted "Happy weekend y'all! We're open as usual from 12pm with all promotions running as normal - see you from midday!" about an hour ago.

I guess this means brunch and drunch is on as usual...
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:33 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

And all it will take is for a few idiots to get carried away and have the restrictions put back in place.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are the bottle shops open?

I have meetings in ajman this week and don't want to waste the journey - I always go to Oscars.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Are the bottle shops open?

I have meetings in ajman this week and don't want to waste the journey - I always go to Oscars.
They are open in AD with slightly reduced hours in some cases

On another change this year, Yas Mall had the food court fenced off today
allowing you to go in and buy and eat food in there. I heard that Dubai Mall and MOE did the same last year.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Food courts open in MOE, DM and Mirdif CC (screened off). You can also buy coffees from any of the usual places and take your wares into the food courts.
Costa Madinat open as normal
Vox cinemas serving food/drink as normal
A&E and MMi open as normal, the Cellar RAK open.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
There is a hotel at the WTC though, somewhere, isn't there. I was there on Wednesday but they didn't set the bar up until 8.20 and only started serving booze at 8.30. It was quite busy, and a whole bunch had turned up at 8 so it got a bit antsy. They are new so probably just going the extra careful mile.

Good restaurants BTW. Saw the Maitre D from Zuma, checking Tamba out, so they must be doing well.
Courtyard by Marriott, basically upstairs from Spinneys.

Jazz@PizzaExpress open from midday but no wine until 8pm, my local is open from 7.30. I've yet to find a place here that's open from midday - maybe the Golf Clubs?

Booze shops open from 10am to 9pm (usually 9.30-8.30).
Old Jun 11th 2016, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Deira City Centre food court open "For Non-Muslims and Kids" (per signage), same as last year.

The Galley restaurant in Emirates HQ ground floor open 24/7, also Costa there open Saturday-Thursday during the day. Both accessible to public via link from Metro station.

Costa, Starbucks and foodcourts at Terminals 1 and 3 landside all open.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Standanista
Deira City Centre food court open "For Non-Muslims and Kids" (per signage), same as last year.

The Galley restaurant in Emirates HQ ground floor open 24/7, also Costa there open Saturday-Thursday during the day. Both accessible to public via link from Metro station.

Costa, Starbucks and foodcourts at Terminals 1 and 3 landside all open.
One of the guys at work said that Porters in the Grand Millennium is open from 12 with a happy hour! Not been myself so cannot verify
Old Jun 11th 2016, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

There's good business in renting out portable screens this year, that's for sure.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

MCG JLT is defo open, I was there today from 12-2pm

Stella is AED43/pint though which is really taking the pi$$