Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

What do you love most about being home?

What do you love most about being home?

Old Jul 24th 2013, 6:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: What do you love most about being home?

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
I'm back a week on Friday. Going camping in the Lake District for a few nights and can't wait to spend sometime outside without it being way to hot!
If it's still sunny then get ready to moan that nowhere is air-conditioned!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Flying back to Glasgow sunday, arrive 1pm, straight to Rangers game in Livingston.
stay in city centre sunday night, definite fish and chips or chicken curry for a take-away meal and then sort out wedding stuff on Monday.
back to Dubai on Tuesday afternoon.
short, but enjoyable!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Dean
What language is point number 5 please?
Ha ha - 'rekorderlig' is Swedish fruit cider - served in a tall glass with ice and which tastes like (well if you purchase the strawberry and lime variety) strawberry cordial - perfect summer time drink!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:14 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silversilver
After several weeks back home in bonny Scotland here are some of the things I find I love returning to:
1. bacon sandwiches on white bread
2. fresh air
3. crap but fabulous daytime television
4. walking to and sitting outside a beer garden with friends
5. A cold pint of strawberry and lime Rekordlig on a hot summer's day!
6. And most of all - the sudden downpour of rain today and the realisation that yup it's almost time to return to Dubai!
Blue sky
Safer driving
Sitting in beer garden
Better fruit and veg
Great selection of wines in supermarkets
Not having to wait for health insurance permissions for relatively simple matters
Faster Internet
Pavements to walk on
Country walks
River fishing
Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:50 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just returned back from the UK and the things I loved

1, No hello mam'sir
2, I only had to ask for something once
3, Everyone turning left was in the left lane
4, Sweet and sour pork balls and pancake roll from the chinese
5, Fish and Chips
6, Booze shopping costing £40 not £100
7, Sat outside the local until 9pm and then putting the heater lamps on
8, Family
9, Lap dancing bar with the boys until 6.30am.............................
Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Blue sky
Safer driving
Sitting in beer garden
Better fruit and veg
Great selection of wines in supermarkets
Not having to wait for health insurance permissions for relatively simple matters
Faster Internet
Pavements to walk on
Country walks
River fishing
I was cogitating the other day about how to define a civilised country. One defining factor has to be footpaths that are suitable for pedestrians, and pedestrians that actually use them rather than the road. Always stunned me in AD seeing a parent with child wandering along the road when there's a perfectly good footpath
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I was cogitating the other day about how to define a civilised country. One defining factor has to be footpaths that are suitable for pedestrians, and pedestrians that actually use them rather than the road. Always stunned me in AD seeing a parent with child wandering along the road when there's a perfectly good footpath
There was a woman running along the road the other morning. She was next to, and I don't exaggerate here, a 15ft wide footpath.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:43 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
There was a woman running along the road the other morning. She was next to, and I don't exaggerate here, a 15ft wide footpath.
was she wearing glasses?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
was she wearing glasses?
Hahaha, nope. She was Western too. I just made sure I beeped the horn at her when I raced by.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, nope. She was Western too. I just made sure I beeped the horn at her when I raced by.
crazy, why would you run on the road in this country? death wish!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Flying back to Glasgow sunday, arrive 1pm, straight to Rangers game in Livingston.
must be a cup game or friendly then - pretty sure you mugs are a league beneath them
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

We have loads of these people in the ranches. I feel duty bound to clip them with my wing mirrors.

Annoys me more when they don't put lights on too (and the cyclists). I'm running 50% tints and can't see shit out of my cars at night.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:21 am
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

.... all of what has already been mentioned....and

Dropping by at my mates house and raiding the fridge and then just leaving..

Dropping by at any mates house when they are dishing the dinner up
and they just go and get an extra plate and share it out..

.........crashing in their spare room without even asking if its ok to

Getting calls from mates who are going away and them asking if we want to house sit

living out of a suitcase

Hiring a really cool car

....leaving to come back here...

Still find it hard arriving back Home and no Parents there though..., its nearly 2 years since I lost them both very close together and it still hurts
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Marks and Spencer food hall

Reminds me just how far away from a good selection you get in Dubai supermarkets (incl M&S and Waitrose)
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raining
Rain and fresh air
Being able to put bottles of wine in the trolley whilst food shopping
Proper pubs / bars
Not hearing the word ''ma'amsir''
Little independent shops instead of malls
Being able to go for a walk / going running outside.
I don't have plans to go back this summer because of other commitments but even a week away from here right now is looking very attractive...
I have been in the UAE and KSA for almost 15 years and have never heard the term "ma'amsir". My only grienance about life here is the Police State mentality. My wife was cautioned (but not fined) for chewing a sweet on the way to a Metro station seven days before the start of Ramadan. Needless to say she was asked for her papers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.