What do you hate most?

Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default What do you hate most?

I've been here just over one year now and have a few niggles about life here but love it all the same.

What ONE thing gets to you the most here?

I spend a lot of time on the road so, for me, it's retards who sit in the same lane for the whole of their journey, driving way too slow for the lane they are in. Generally it's our Indian friends but maybe not every time......
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:08 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you hate most?

Ex-pats who lose touch with reality - you know the ones:

Back in UK, they would be quite 'ordinary' and not particularly well paid.

They come to Dubai and find thay can afford a big 4 x 4, a maid, a nice apartment, weekly brunches and holidays to the Far East.

Suddenly they become superior, think they are a cut above and treat lower paid workers like sh1t.

Caveat - not that this applies to anyone on this forum, you're all a great bunch!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post

They come to Dubai and find thay can afford a big 4 x 4, a maid, a nice apartment, weekly brunches and holidays to the Far East.

Suddenly they become superior, think they are a cut above and treat lower paid workers like sh1t.

Caveat - not that this applies to anyone on this forum, you're all a great bunch!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that! I have bought a 4x4 but certainly don't rate myself above anyone I meet and doubt I will ever have a maid unless Children come along and Wifey wants to return to work. Even then it would be a part time one, not a live in.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:20 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that! I have bought a 4x4 but certainly don't rate myself above anyone I meet and doubt I will ever have a maid unless Children come along and Wifey wants to return to work. Even then it would be a part time one, not a live in.
That's the irony of it. Almost all UK expats here can afford these things, they are the norm. They don't make you any different or better.

The nouveau/sham, posh/rich crowd don't realise it or use this as an excuse to act superior.

Luckily (I think?) they are in the minority. Most people keep their feet on the ground and don't forget where they came from.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:29 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Taxis that take off before I've put my seatbelt on
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacScot View Post
Taxis that take off before I've put my seatbelt on
Crikey!! If that's the worst thing you've encountered in your life here then you're doing OK I reckon!! Crazy fools though, their driving is shocking!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

It has got to be the driving
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:43 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Not being able to trust a word anyone says when I ask them a perfectly reasonable question, such as "when will it be ready?" or "do you have this in stock?" and consequently thinking nasty thoughts about them.

This place has forced me to question my faith in humanity, and to stereotype people by nationality, which I hate to the pit of my stomach.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:15 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff View Post
I've been here just over one year now and have a few niggles about life here but love it all the same.

What ONE thing gets to you the most here?

I spend a lot of time on the road so, for me, it's retards who sit in the same lane for the whole of their journey, driving way too slow for the lane they are in. Generally it's our Indian friends but maybe not every time......
the police
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:13 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

speed bumps and the parking costs at the DIFC.

nothing else bothers me.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Double standards: "Do as i say not as i do.".
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty View Post
Not being able to trust a word anyone says when I ask them a perfectly reasonable question, such as "when will it be ready?" or "do you have this in stock?" and consequently thinking nasty thoughts about them.

This place has forced me to question my faith in humanity, and to stereotype people by nationality, which I hate to the pit of my stomach.
Yes, same here in Doha. It is defo what bothers me most.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

That's the irony of it. Almost all UK expats here can afford these things, they are the norm. They don't make you any different or better.

The nouveau/sham, posh/rich crowd don't realise it or use this as an excuse to act superior.

Luckily (I think?) they are in the minority. Most people keep their feet on the ground and don't forget where they came from.
From Cleethorps to Verve Cliquot in one swoop......The worlds biggest social climbers...The Middle East Brit....!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:18 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Those types exist in Aus too, I refer to them as the Benidorm crowd. They think just because they have a 4 bed detached house with a pool and a boat (just like a lot of other people) that they are now somehow far superior to anyone else. When in actual fact they are all chav's and should be avoided!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Avarice is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty View Post

This is definatlet it for me too, racism is my absolute biggest dislike however i do find myself making immediate assumptions and even dropping the comment and it makes me feel disgusted with myself... thats dubai though...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.